Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Florida Open 2007

What Fireant said.

Last year was the first time I shot the match, and I had a flight Sunday evening out of Orlando, thinking I'd be fine....

Missed most of the shoot-offs, the final results, the awards, etc. Sucked, 'cause it was my first major, and I would have enjoyed receiving my plaque. :(

Unless the flight is very late, I'd leave first thing Monday AM.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

... time to start thinking about it? ...

Well, maybe IT IS time to really get going with it if you have not done so...

Anyway, is it time to "revive" this thread yet???? or maybe a spinoff thread???

Last year we even had a "BEnos Squad" and a little get together at a Mexican restaurant.

How 'bout this year??? Any musings or big ideas, plans or wishfull thinkings??

Lately I have been waaaay too busy opening my new Sporting Goods/Firearms Store to really get on the thick of things, and even my postings here have suffered, but I'll be glad to tag along with it. My entry fee check was already cashed by Frank so I know I'll be there...

How 'bout y'all ???? :wub:B)

I want to ............ but I am thinking of holding off until the Florida State match, due to lack of $$$$ & time.

Same range, same staff, practically same match. Little warmer weather. My folks live in Bradenton so I want to visit them (and the beach of course! ;) )

just filled out my application and gave em my CC. tomorrow it goes out. this will be my first Uspsa match. looks to be a lot of fun! . :)

You may want to shoot a couple of local matches first. Titusville, CFRPC, Port Malibar and Frostproof all good central FL matches that will prepair you for the Open.

I wouldn't want to shoot the Open as my 1st match either. It can be a wee bit difficult. Last year was a good example of that. All classic targets ... long distance, complicated "Hunting" stage ... Lots of props to make things more interseting (and distracting).

The competition can be quite intimidating also. Todd Jarret, Saul Kirsch, Eric Graefel, etc ..... Don't get distraut if your overall percentage ends up somewhere in the 40 - 50 %. (Mine was) :ph34r:

At least go to 3 or 4 local matches before attempting a MAJOR match such as this.

Good advice

The FL Open is probably one of the most difficult matches of the year. We had people on our squad that were in their 2nd year of shooting major matches that shot in the 30%'s but I wouldn't even attempt any big match withouta bunch of club matches under my belt.

I want to ............ but I am thinking of holding off until the Florida State match, due to lack of $$$$ & time.

Same range, same staff, practically same match. Little warmer weather.

Exactly my plan.

Edited by Nemo

I return to FL. monday. anyone have any suggestions for next couple of weekends? just want to get acclimated before shooting the FL. open. I don't really care where I place, as long as I play safe, learn plenty, and meet many of the good folks here at BENOS. you all have been a grea help. Don't worry, I'm safe! read the rulebook more than a few times. Its time for a match, and I was really excited about the open. If I can get in enough "practice" matches, I will enter, if not.. I just wasted the money if I'm not going to play. hope it helps pay for the plaque one of you take home... :mellow:

I return to FL. monday. anyone have any suggestions for next couple of weekends? just want to get acclimated before shooting the FL. open. I don't really care where I place, as long as I play safe, learn plenty, and meet many of the good folks here at BENOS. you all have been a grea help. Don't worry, I'm safe! read the rulebook more than a few times. Its time for a match, and I was really excited about the open. If I can get in enough "practice" matches, I will enter, if not.. I just wasted the money if I'm not going to play. hope it helps pay for the plaque one of you take home... :mellow:

Don't be discouraged by some of the "nay-sayers". They mean well. Safety is of course is placed at the highest place in any matches, especially a long, gruelling one such as this. I am sure you already have some "practical matches" shooting experience, be it from IDPA to Bowling Pins, or Steel Matches. Don't you?

On the other hand, be aware that the biggest group essential for a match of this magnitude, and the ones that would benefit the most are indeed the lower classified shooters such as the "D" and "C" rated. They have the most to learn, and no better venue to do so than one that gathers together a lot of high caliber, skilled competitors. It is indeed and event to remember later on for fond memories.

While the Florida State Match coming in a month later will indeed be a great match, similarly set-up, it will not have the same "aura" surrounding it. The Florida Open has gained a true "international" status and flavor, rivaling the top matches anywhere around the world. Personally, I am looking forward to doing both. But I am lucky since both my mother and my sister have homes nearby, and my bigest question is whether not to piss-off my mother by staying with my sister or viceversa. Yes. factoring the costs of attending these matches while travelling is a must for many of us. Again the Florida Open could be considered a "wishfull" thing for many, but unlike the "Nationals" or the "World Shoot" is attainable is you send in your application on time. Prestige, is the key word here, I think? And, the experience gained by attending can not be duplicated by attending several local matches, for sure. See 'ya there. ;)

Don't be discouraged by some of the "nay-sayers". They mean well. Safety is of course is placed at the highest place in any matches, especially a long, gruelling one such as this. I am sure you already have some "practical matches" shooting experience, be it from IDPA to Bowling Pins, or Steel Matches. Don't you?

I have spectated several different matches, but have yet to compete. I missed the pin match in del ray beach too. I have just been incredible busy. thanks for your help and confidence.

Good advice

The FL Open is probably one of the most difficult matches of the year. We had people on our squad that were in their 2nd year of shooting major matches that shot in the 30%'s but I wouldn't even attempt any big match withouta bunch of club matches under my belt.

Half,

The main point to keep in mind is that, if you decide to go, not to be intimidated by the match difficulty or disappointed with your performance compared to the others in attendance. This match is intentionally designed to be about the most difficult (shooting wise and mentally) match of the year. It is geared toward a large group of world class shooters that usually attend the match.

As Bill said, this match can be humbling to experienced IPSC shooters. I would just not want you to shoot this match, as your first match, and assume that all other USPSA/IPSC matches would be about the same. This match is intentionally difficult.

Good advice

Speaking of belts ............. There was one stage last year (Parachuting ?) that caused many, many seasoned shooters to drop their guns (loaded) and DQ from the match. We lost 2 or 3 on my squad alone. Some got a little salty and went home. Others were humbled, yet stayed with the group and learned a lesson the hard way. Thats what I call sportsmanship.

I am not trying to be a nay-sayer. But for heavens sake please ....... Do not enter into this match lightly. If you shoot the Florida Open, be sure to ask for & listen to advice from your squad-mates. Be careful. Shoot slow & steady. Don't run. Walk through it at a medium pace. And you'll do fine. But if you try and keep up with the more experienced shooters, you are bound to be embarresed.

Shoot at your current level. You cannot shoot any better than that, at this exact moment in time.

parachute? WTF? I really just wanted to shoot a match that everyone from here sounds like they frequent. You guys got me spooked! I understand that this is technically world reknown. We'll see. If I show up and the intimidation factor is too high for me then I'll watch. However, I figure of this is as hard as it gets, it aint a bad place to start. I don't think it will turn me off to ipsc, as I have seen a few matches, and have a good idea of what to expect. I dont mind walking the course and trying to make good hits, but if I am taking someones place because I registered and this someone cant compete because I'm in it, I wouldnt want to ruin it for the more experienced shooters that may not be able to attend because I stole the slot. I didnt send the form out today, maybe I'll wait and give a higher caliber shooter the opportunity.

Shoot the match. Don't be spooked, its just my 18 years experience with new shooters and big and little matches. I am just trying to help. The real flag for me was, you have not shot any competitions before. Its still a very challenging match. I hope I make it.

Umm I think in FL you could get at least somewhere between 1 and 50 matches in by then. You live in FL I think theres probably 5 matches or more a week and 65-75 degree weather!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by BSeevers

yeah, I'll shoot a few matches prior, then I'll keep my eyes and ears open for what to do at the open. I am currently U classed.. but that could all change in a couple weeks. what class does A "U" shoot with? :D Is their a qualifier stage? This being my first major match, should I shoot singlestack, L-10, Limited or open? What division would be easiest for a rook? ;)

I will be attending this match for the first time and I am looking forward to it. Just go shoot to the best of your ability and have fun. My very first match with an open gun was the 2005 area 2 match. That was a total brian scrambler for a new shooter with a new shooting platform. I still had a great time even though I shot like s*it.

If I remember correctly Frank awards U as it's own class, just like D,C,B,A,etc. If it were me I'd want a gun with as many bullets as will fit for this match. It helps to be able to cut out some reloads as a new guy at this match.

If I remember correctly Frank awards U as it's own class, just like D,C,B,A,etc. If it were me I'd want a gun with as many bullets as will fit for this match. It helps to be able to cut out some reloads as a new guy at this match.

:) I am shooting Single Stack, but bringing LOTS of bullets and mags :)

Frank's matches are TOUGH, but this year I believe we can blame Manny ;)