Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Sti Trubor 9 Major

gazda4

I believe mine is a S2 (long comp). Also, I know there were some modifications done on the ports by JV Dynamics - proximal hole was re-angled to 90º, and middle hole widdened(x in.).

Dot movement on mine is manageable. This might vary from shooter to shooter depending on several factors: powder,bullet, gun design, grip, etc. (it's a whole topic of discussion).

Overall, I'm very happy with it, i've compared mine to several of my friends shooting same caliber open gun that were non-trubor and they were way too violent for my taste (personal opinion).

My next open gun in the future will still use Trubor.

As already stated how "flat" a gun is is really dependent on a lot of factors, some of which aren't very scientific. With that said my gun uses a brazos comp, my understanding is bob gets the barrels with unmachined comps on them and then machines them himself. I really like how the gun shoots. Also from Bob the comp has four ports instead of the three pictured, my gunsmith took one off as we didn't think it was needed.

post-1759-1158248206.jpg

Edited by rtr

I shoot a 9mm major built by virgil tripp.

It uses a Brazos Trubor barrel w/o ports

The load i shoot is 7.8 grains HS6 with a 125 zero at 1.165 oal.

the slide has been lightened alot and i use a serendipity scope w/6 moa dot.

8 pound recoil spring with a wilson shokbuff. this gun weighs less than a STI edge and shoots SOFT..not as flat as my hybrid...but really soft.

Here is a video of me shooting it at the last match i shot.

Id replace the factory STI firing pin with a dawson hyperdrive long firing pin and shoot away.

Harmon

some of you say your guns shoot flat not sure what that means, while i`m still trying different powders, springs, guide & loads. i can`t say mine shoots flat, seems to have a lot of recoil { compared to my limited guns }. slide hits the frame much harder than it ought to, or not. ?? my dot jumps up & to the right seems to be all over the target. i`m sure i`m doing a lot of things wrong.............

gazda4,

I, too, am experiencing the same "problem" about a heavier recoiling gun. I have a 9mm shorty and it's considerably more difficult to control than a full size gun. It almost feels like I'm shooting a limited gun with a C-more. My slide seems to hit the frame hard upon backward recoil and there is lots of upward dot movement. I am using HS-6 with a 124 grain CMJ bullet.

I did create two other loads with AA#7 and N340 and they seem to work a little better.

I have a 9 lb. recoil spring in my gun. I will experiment in the next few weeks with a heavier spring, such as 10 and 11 pounders. I hope this helps the problem.

I know other grand masters advocate a lighter spring, but I'm not sure if that applies to only full size guns since shorty's have less slide mass.

Is anyone else experiencing or experienced this and how did you fix the problem? I don't think the answer is to just grip the gun tigher.

Thanks in advance.

You might try a heavier recoil spring, probably don't want to go much above 12lbs - try shooting weak-hand-only & that will tell you [with malfunctions] when you've gone too far.

Sideports in the comp can help soften the recoil but don't hold the muzzle much flatter.

How much do your guns weigh [w/empty mag in it] ??

Might try this at the range: Shoot your 170 mag [or 140 w/extension] completely full & don't shoot more than 6-8 rounds out of it. Then take an empty short mag, load 6-8 rounds, and shoot it. Go back & forth between the full Stick and near-empty mag & see if the extra weight calms down the gun a little.

Also, if you have a tungsten guide rod or can borrow a buddy's, try that. Adds about 2oz up front.

If you like the heavier gun in live-fire then you can leave the tungsten rod in there and try a steel STI magwell or Heavy Dawson Ice or similar magwell & leave them on the gun.

Very likely you'll hate the extra weight at home dry-firing but it might help in a match [where the gun has to go Bang to score] - more than you'd expect.

what i`m using is a s/s magwell, tungeston guide rod, s/s arched main srping housing ,7 # recoil spring.

talked to sti the other day, i was told do not go over a 10# recoil spring !!!

i`m using hs-6 , 8.3 gr. { @ 167 p/f } o- 125 gr. jhp, mxd. range brass, 1.170 o.a.l.

i have no issues with the gun cycling, just the hard recoil & the dot bouncing all over.

i tried different recoil springs & steel guide rod, no difference.

tried hs-7 no luck .

maybe a different powder.??

i have tried minor loads still the dot bounces all over...

Just to take yourself out of the equation, have you tried a ball and dummy drill? Have a buddy load your mags and mix dummy rounds in it. Observe what you do to the gun when it doesn't go bang.

i have not done that drill, but i have dropped the hammer on a empty chamber while shooting { my gun doesn`t go to slide lock } i jerk the gun to 7/8 o`clock position..

Nick,

I might be at Rayner's on Wednesday. I'm going to practice, but I could probably give you a quick check-up. :) Bring lots of ammo if you can make it.

Kyle

I'm planning on being there too. I shot it yesterday after we were done. I really like the feel of the 9mm.

what i`m using is a s/s magwell, tungeston guide rod, s/s arched main srping housing ,7 # recoil spring.

i`m using hs-6 , 8.3 gr. { @ 167 p/f } o- 125 gr. jhp, mxd. range brass, 1.170 o.a.l.

i have no issues with the gun cycling, just the hard recoil & the dot bouncing all over.

tried hs-7 no luck .

To the "problem" I think its partial sensory overload. On a Limited gun the front sight is bouncing too, you just don't see it in the detail and with the feedback of the dot. Open guns have recoil they just can return to point of aim faster(just a little) because of the comp and their real advantage is the red dot. Also in Limited you probably "like" the "feel" of a fast powder and heavy bullet. I shoot a Brazos Tru-bore and give it a very favorable rating. My old hybrid is a little softer but I can shoot identical splits with either gun . As you put heaver recoil springs in the gun it will recoil more but if you like other things going on with those springs there is no problem with a 12 lb spring. That was the standard when PF was 175. Not if the gun won't cycle with a heavy spring that's another story.

Consistancy is also achieved with grip and stance so that can be a factor in your experience with Open. In fact more gains are to be had in this arena than powders/bullets/springs and such.

Edited by BSeevers

tried hs-7 no luck .

To the "problem" I think its partial sensory overload. On a Limited gun the front sight is bouncing too, you just don't see it in the detail and with the feedback of the dot. Open guns have recoil they just can return to point of aim faster(just a little) because of the comp and their real advantage is the red dot. Also in Limited you probably "like" the "feel" of a fast powder and heavy bullet. I shoot a Brazos Tru-bore and give it a very favorable rating. My old hybrid is a little softer but I can shoot identical splits with either gun . As you put heaver recoil springs in the gun it will recoil more but if you like other things going on with those springs there is no problem with a 12 lb spring. That was the standard when PF was 175. Not if the gun won't cycle with a heavy spring that's another story.

Consistancy is also achieved with grip and stance so that can be a factor in your experience with Open. In fact more gains are to be had in this arena than powders/bullets/springs and such.

bill, i was told sun. while we were trying each others guns that one thing i needed to do was grip more with left hand than right .

i was taught to do the opposite, another learning xperience with different guns.

bill, i was told sun. while we were trying each others guns that one thing i needed to do was grip more with left hand than right .

i was taught to do the opposite, another learning xperience with different guns.

Your left hand grip is a lot of the recoil control with any gun. Open guns are like big mirrors. They show your flaws. But that's a good thing since you can improve and use that immediate feedback to improve faster. All of this will transfer to shooting any guns. If John liked your gun its probably just fine, you just need to get to likin' it.

Edited by BSeevers

• 2 weeks later...

gazda4 and everyone,

I ordered three new recoil springs for my 9mm major, from 10 to 12 pounds. I finally had a chance to test the springs with 200 rounds. Half of the rounds were made with HS-6 and the remainder with AA#7. I use MG 124 grain CMJ bullets and Federal Small Rifle primers.

My existing 9 lb. spring that I have been using since February gave me lots of dot movement and made the gun unpleasant to shoot. In fact, the gun felt like I was shooting a compensated .45 race gun, like the one I had built in the late 80s.

I removed the 9 lb. spring and tried a 10 lb. spring. I fired a couple of 10-round magazines (that's the law in Hawaii) and I noticed the dot did not move upward as much and the overall gun was much more pleasant to shoot. I fired more rounds strong handed and weak handed. No malfunctions.

I then inserted the 11 lb. spring and fired more rounds freestyle, strong handed and weak handed at a 25 yard bullseye target. (I didn't get to go on the IPSC side of the range.) No malfunctions. The dot moved up only about 2 inches, never left the C-more lense and immediately came down to my original aiming spot on the target. Wow. What a revelation! My shorty 9mm is sooooooo much more manageable and better to shoot. I can't wait to use it at a match next month. I thought I made a mistake getting a shorty but it was just a matter of using the right recoil spring weight. It's like driving with underinflated tires and wondering why I was getting poor gas mileage and low performance. Look out. I'm ready to hit the shooting races again. Yahoo!

Thanks to everyone for all your comments, especially Eric's. This forum is awesome!

how much accurate arms number 7 does it take to make major??

Im at 8 pounds on the recoil spring an a shock buff and am not loading but 7.8 grains of HS6 with a 125...

try 7625 and see if that helps...

Harmon

Edited by Harmon