Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Failure To Go To Slide-lock

Chris Keen

Hi all,

I have a 2nd Gen G17 that won't always shoot to slide-lock. I shoot Production, and sometimes I take an extra shot, or shoot an array that requires 11 shots, but my gun dosent always lock back. Which spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r in A Class Production, when I'm not expecting it. I have to re-rack the slide manually, which is a concious thought process.

I have tried different slide-lock levers, and recently tried new mag springs. Seemed to help at first, but then 3 mags in a row, I had a fail to lock back. All with new ISMI springs.

Any body know what I can try next ???

I've found this is usually operator error. With the Glock slide lock lever it doesn't take much to keep it from activating. Does it happen when the gun is shot left hand only?

Could the recoil spring be too strong for the load?

Chris, are you using the extended slide lock lever? With a high grip, that was the problem I found. Switched to a regular release, problem went away.

Downside, creates a new problem of a sort. With the extended slide lock, slamming a mag in hard would close the slide without having to do anything. Regular one, darn thing will not release no matter how hard I slam it.

Chris, I have had the same problem with both 2nd and 3rd gen G17s with standard slide releases and I believe it is the shooter. When fired by a friend, it works as it should. Something I am doing with my grip is causing the problem, probably a carry over from 1911 platforms. :wacko:

Chris,

keeping your fingers off the slide release and slide? That's the most common cause.....

How hot a load, how powerful a recoil spring?

Recoil spring binding causing a mechanical short stroke ---- i.e. slide can't travel to the full extent of it's run?

What recoil rod and spring (brand) are you using?

1. Lever installed wrong.

2. Operator induced.

3. Recoil spring bind limiting slide travel.

It could be me, but I'm leaning toword the recoil spring. I run a pretty light load. 147 gr 9mm's that chrono out to 128~130 PF. And I am using a Glockmeister tungsten rod, with a ISMI 13 lbs spring. This could be the whole deal right here.

Any suggestions?

Chris

I had problems with the palm of my left hand getting onto the slide stop. Went away when I put on more aggressive skateboard tape and worked to keep my left hand further back - also I had to stop putting the end of my thumb against the frame, fwd of the take-down catch.

You might have too much recoil spring for the shooting stances that a match puts you in.

A quick check of your slide-stop and mags is to take the top end off, lock your mags into the gun one at a time, empty. The follower should push the slide stop way up past where it would go with a slide on the gun AND you should be able to repeatedly push the slide stop down & see it release back up with no sticking.

If that only happens with some of your mags then there's a problem.

Know what you mean about the matches. My friends let me play "Glock 8+1" at their single-stack match & I did 2 or 3 running reloads from slide-lock. Coming into those next shooting positions with a full mag & empty chamber would've been a bummer.

Chris.......Ole yankee cuz ;)

I have the cure to the problem.............

Replace the plastic part with a steel part........like in a 1911, or a good revolver.!!! :lol::lol::lol::lol:

OR.............

Just throw the mattell toy away and get a real gun.........STI, SVI, Para, Caspian(Limited/Open)

OR even better.........

Go buy a 625/25-2/610 and I'll get her in "TOP FORM" then you can enjoy the "ULTIMATE CHALLNGE IN ACTION PISTOL SHOOTING" :wub:

Gun troubles are a Pain in the A$$...........Glad my BennyBlaster, and my Wheelguns are like the Energizer Bunny. :D

Good luck finding your problem, I'd try hotter loads too.

Sam

13 lb. ISMIs from several sources have on occasion proven themselves problematic. I'm currently running 12 and 14 lb. Wolff springs in my 9mm game Glocks. My load, Star 147gr. over 231 and a Fed small pistol primer, chronoed at 130 at the Summer Blast and A8.....

I figured you were running the ISMO spring.

As Nik mentioned...there is an issue with some of them.

Test:

1. Put a stock recoil assembly back into the gun (some might stop there and call it fixed ;) )...

2. Pull the slide back and note the distance of travel at full stop (look down from a top view into your ejection port and note how much of the trigger bow that you see).

3. Put in the other spring.

4. Repeat test.

You will likely find that you'd lost about a quarter inch of slide travel...as the spring bind in the recoil spring tunnel.

I have the same problem with my Glock.My problem is with my grip style I sometimes rest on the slide lock causing it not to lock.I removed my extended lock and added a normal one....fixed the problem right away.Hope this helps some and glad to see Im not the only one with the problem:)

Hi all,

I have a 2nd Gen G17 that won't always shoot to slide-lock. I shoot Production, and sometimes I take an extra shot, or shoot an array that requires 11 shots, but my gun dosent always lock back. Which spells d-i-s-a-s-t-e-r in A Class Production, when I'm not expecting it. I have to re-rack the slide manually, which is a concious thought process.

I have tried different slide-lock levers, and recently tried new mag springs. Seemed to help at first, but then 3 mags in a row, I had a fail to lock back. All with new ISMI springs.

Any body know what I can try next ???

Why is everybody dissin' on my 17 ??? I made Master with it in under 12 months. It got me this far. Why wouldn't it get me all the way to GM? Sorry .... 34's are over-rated IMO.

But I do want to thank eveybody who responded to this thread. I took y'alls advice and replaced my extended slide-lock-lever with a standard one, and tada! In fact I realized it was me all along. I tried my mags with new springs, and then I tried my mags with old springs (3 ea) and I saw that if I had a tight grip on the gun I could still make it do it.

It's just like you BE-ers to make me look inward for the answer! ;)

THANKS ALL!

I usta' run 128-130 mousephart loads in a 17L with stock spring and it always locked back on the last round. My grip style left a space for the slide release.

I remember the when anyone else shot it with my ammo, they would almost always get a click instead of round 18 ;-)

The funniest part was watchin the huuuuge flinches a lot of folks have!