Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Noob In Oregon

JTR

Hey gang.

I’ve made a few posts in the revolver forum and they seem like a wonderful bunch, but I haven’t told them I like to shoot Glocks, SIGs and 1911s too.

I’ve been shooting Speed Steel at some of the local ranges for a couple years now (use my revolvers mostly), but my only experience with IPSC/USPSA has been a couple benefit matches I’ve been to. Which, as I understand it, are kinda watered down for the non-competitive shooter... and the steel shooters.

As winter comes on and things slow down a bit I’d like to take the safety course and check into a real USPSA match. I am a tad concerned about this whole power factor thing though. As I understand it, my 9mm Glock 34 in limited can only be considered minor power factor. Should this keep me up at night, or am I good to go?

Thanks, Chris

JTR,

Hi, a fellow oregonion here. Oregon is a great state to live and shoot in! The shooting crowd, especially the USPSA bunch, are the best bunch of guys and gals.

Where are located?

Your 34 is good to go for limited but you will shoot minor (less points for hits outside the A zone) 34's are more commonly seen in production class. Everyone shoots minor in production, no matter the caliber. A 34 is what I shoot in production.

I would heartily recommend you check it out. Most local clubs would bend over backward to get you shooting. It's a blast.

I'm a USPSA range officer. Feel free to email me if there's anything I can do to help. I can also help you get in touch with a local club.

Edited by Trey

As I understand it, my 9mm Glock 34 in limited can only be considered minor power factor. Should this keep me up at night, or am I good to go?

Thanks, Chris

You're good to go. You can shoot the 34 either production (loading only 10 rounds in the mag) or limited. I might suggest loading your mags up completely and shooting limited for the first few matches so you won't have to worry as much about mag changes. When you're first starting out, there are many things that you need to concentrate on so having something to worry less about is good.

Your first few matches are all about being safe and having fun. Being competitive should be a minor consideration, if at all.

Looking forward to seeing you out at a match.

Thanks for the insight and warm welcome guys.

This sounds like a lot of fun.

I’m in Salem, a member of the ARPC and shoot Steel there and at TCGC.

I just got an e-mail back form Mike McCarter with some safety info and saying he has added me to his "New" list.

Thanks for the insight and warm welcome guys.

This sounds like a lot of fun.

I’m in Salem, a member of the ARPC and shoot Steel there and at TCGC.

I just got an e-mail back form Mike McCarter with some safety info and saying he has added me to his "New" list.

The 34 is also L10 legal.

Thanks bberkley, already talking with Mike about getting started down there.

Now this Crazy Croc thing. I’ve heard of it in passing, just read that it’s about 400 rounds. Similar to The Man of Steel?

Any of you guys shoot in Albany?

Albany is my main club for my match shooting. It is a GREAT club.

The crazy croc is the best match of the year for sheer shooting fun. Every stage is 50-60+ rounds. ALOT of shooting and ALOT of fun.

Hope to see you on the range.

Edited by Trey

Thanks bberkley, already talking with Mike about getting started down there.

Now this Crazy Croc thing. I’ve heard of it in passing, just read that it’s about 400 rounds. Similar to The Man of Steel?

Any of you guys shoot in Albany?

The Croc is nowhere even close to the Man of Steel. For starters, the Croc is 8 stages of 50+ rounds of Run & Gun IPSC action. There is even a jungle run. It will introduce you to your limitations, and then beat you about the head and shoulders with them. :)

I shot it once with a Glock 34 in Production Division, and had 7 magazine pouches on my belt. You almost need suspenders on your gun belt to hold it up with all the ammo you have to carry each stage.

I really wouldn't suggest you shoot that as your first match. But, not wanting to scare you away from competing, if you do choose to shoot it, I would shoot Limited or Open. Or, you could just shoot Production or L10 and consider it reloading practice. :)

Man of Steel is "stand in a box, shoot really fast, repeat ad infinitum". Don't get me wrong, its a great match to shoot, and about the only thing it has in common with The Croc is round count. Everything else is completely different (in my best Monty Python voice).

I shoot at Albany every month. I do the stats on occasion, and mostly just help Mike with the administrative side of getting results posted, classifier stuff to USPSA, and keeping the website up, in addition to whatever else he asks me to do.

Speed Steel huh? Sounds like fun! I'll have to give it a try. Center fire only? Or do they throw in rimfire also? My back up bullseye rimfire pistol would be great for SS.

Mad Mike! So here you are, welcome. I lost track of you when Steve and I quit running Practical Pistol and later Four Corners all together. And now we've got "Farmboy" (welcome to you too!) here, it's starting to feel like old home week... :)

While I haven't shot it yet, I did talk to the Speed Steel guys and 22rf is fine. No holster, you start from the "low ready". The centerfire stuff requires a holster that covers the trigger guard. I'll see you guys at rhe range!

Ed Dailey

Same here. I shot speed steel for a few months at my home club, Tri County in Sherwood before actually shooting USPSA. I have now shot 3 matches at Albany, 2 at Tri County, and 1 at Dundee, and trying to get down to one in Eugene. First class folks everywhere i've been, and i'm having the most fun i've had in awhile. Currently i'm shooting my 34 in production.

Speed Steel huh? Sounds like fun! I'll have to give it a try. Center fire only? Or do they throw in rimfire also? My back up bullseye rimfire pistol would be great for SS.

Mad Mike! So here you are, welcome. I lost track of you when Steve and I quit running Practical Pistol and later Four Corners all together. And now we've got "Farmboy" (welcome to you too!) here, it's starting to feel like old home week... :)

Ed Dailey

Yep it's me. Being very humbled buy the big dog's at ARPC. But my XD is tuned up and ready to go, and I look forward to every match I can get to. See you soon.

Mike

aka Mike in Salem

aka Mad Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of funny to see you in these parts Chris. There is some good info here. I have been absorbing it since Anousa got me hooked. I am just waiting to shoot the new Glock 19 at the next speed steel. I think USPSA would be kind of a kick and Ill have to give it a try sometime. I would shoot at Albany but it is kind of a cruise and I didnt think I knew anyone who shoots there. I may have to come down for one sometime.

Just a note..

There's a USPSA Oregon Glock championship 9/30 for everyone with Glocks. 8 stages, USPSA rules, glocks only. Only $30. I would highly recommend it!!

So you can shoot your glock in open, limited, L10 or production.

Don't have a glock? Bring a belt and some factory 9mm ammo and I have the rest. Just let me know.

Details www.arpc-ipsc.org or www.nassonline.org

Love to see everyone there.

Plus if you're lucky, you can see me use my superhuman powers to break props and steel targets. :rolleyes:

Edited by Trey