Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Grip Safety

randy01

A dropped 1911 w/ a 30 oz. trigger can go off. It for this reason that I keep all my grip safeties in working order. It would suck bad enough to get D.Q.ed for dropping my gun but if it went off and shot someone else or me it would probably end my competitive shooting all togehter.

Mine works either way, if the grip safety is depressed, the trigger pull is lighter, not depressed, the hammer will still fall, but it's noticeably heavier.

My 45 (1911) - is totaly disengaged, my new 40 SS is untouched..

I've never been able to leave a grip safety working on any widebody until I tried one of the Dawson/ZM Small Grip mainspring housings. Those rock-- they move the grip surface back maybe .1" or so, which doesn't seem like much, but all of a sudden they make grip safeties work correctly. My size-M hands have less palm gap as well. Hack up a plastic one first if you aren't sure..

I pin mine. That is on my competition guns. If your half cock is working correctly it "Should" catch the hammer in the event that the hammer falls off the sear. I've seen a lot of guns, from the factory, that would allow the hammer to fall to half cock without disengaging the grip safety. Or a real tight squeeze sends the hammer falling to half cock. Again the key it be sure your half cock is working properly. Daniel I have a 14 oz trigger that I'd dare you to make go off by dropping , smacking, wacking, slashing........LOL.

I pin mine. That is on my competition guns. If your half cock is working correctly it "Should" catch the hammer in the event that the hammer falls off the sear. I've seen a lot of guns, from the factory, that would allow the hammer to fall to half cock without disengaging the grip safety. Or a real tight squeeze sends the hammer falling to half cock. Again the key it be sure your half cock is working properly. Daniel I have a 14 oz trigger that I'd dare you to make go off by dropping , smacking, wacking, slashing........LOL.

Are you really willing to let me drop your gun? :D

Strictly for testing purposes of course.

Edited by Bigbadaboom

A dropped 1911 w/ a 30 oz. trigger can go off. It for this reason that I keep all my grip safeties in working order. It would suck bad enough to get D.Q.ed for dropping my gun but if it went off and shot someone else or me it would probably end my competitive shooting all togehter.

The grip safety does absolutely nothing to prevent this unless you have the firing pin block safety installed.

Dropped on the muzzle, the inertial firing pin isn't prevented from going forward by the grip safety.

If your hammer/sear lack enough engagement, the grip safety won't prevent the sear from bouncing out of place and allowing the hammer to fall. (though the half-cock notch should catch this).

The only way the grip safety would matter on a dropped gun would be if you have the firing pin block safety installed. Then, the grip safety would prevent the trigger from traveling rearward. If the trigger can't move rearward, it is prevented from disengaging the firing pin block safety, which will stop the firing pin from traveling forward unless the plunger part in the slide is depressed.

Most folks I know who shoot IPSC with 1911-style guns don't have the firing pin block safety parts installed because of the difficulty in obtaining a light trigger pull with them installed.

I'm with you on this one, despite if what mpolans says is true, I still wouldn't want to risk getting shot or get someone else hurt and being know as "that guy". I don't think disengaging it makes that much difference with my slow a$$ anyways.

It's a fairly simple job to "sensitize" the grip safety which will leave it operational but require much LESS movement to disengage. Look HERE and then scroll down to "Fig 9" and "Fig 10" to see the mechanics of it. You can also pull your thumb safety out, look inside while manipulating the trigger and grip safety to see what needs to happen. GO SLOW, a file stroke or two at a time, it's easy to take off TOO much.

Ed