Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Using Lead Practise Ammo In A G-17

Damn_Bastard

Hey gang.

I'm toying with the idea of economizing a bit, and starting to use lead for a certain amount of my practise ammo. 'Round here, if you luck out, you can get plated bullets for something less than twice as much as lead, and the bullet is by a chunk the most expensive part.

Hell, the primer and the brass cost about the same.

Any thoughts? Experiences? Ignorant invective?

Cheers,

Dan

I've shot a bunch of lead through my Glocks this year in .40 with factory barrels. You have to clean them a bit more often, but low cost ammo sure is nice. Stay away from the real fast powders as they seem to leave more lead behind. I'm using WST presently, but haven't loaded any 9s so I can't help you there.

Buy a cheap barrel like federal arms or the like to run your lead through and save your factory bbl for matches/carry or whatever.. they are about $90 if you watch and get a deal. (atleast the last time i checked) which is about the savings of 3K bullets. or less some times.

i have had bad experience with lead in my glocks they just lead up fast and make me nervous! seems like the lead is thicker than in the other guns.

I have shot a lot of lead through stock Glock barrels without a problem. Chore Boy scouring pads unwrapped and wound into a bore brush takes any and all of the leading out in 2 or 3 passes. I used to push the brush/Chore Boy through every couple hundred rounds just to keep the leading down to a reasonable level. In my Glocks accuracy would go to hell in a handbasket as soon as the barrel started to lead much, so it was easy to know when it needed a pass with the brush.

Just keep your velocities at under 1000 FPS and clean your barrel after every session and you'll be fine. BTW, the HK USP uses the same type of rifling as Glock's and I have never heard anyone say that lead reloads could not be used with that firearm.

My wife's practice load for her G34 is 3.5 gr of Titegroup and a 125 gr Valiant lead bullet at 1050 fps. I have put a 1,000 rds through it without cleaning - very little lead. We have shot over 30,000 rounds of lead through our Glocks.

I haven't practiced much of late and have 2000 180gr. lead bullets that I debated shooting through my Glock 35. I decided it wasn't worth it and have kept shooting my plated bullets through it. I have debated on an aftermarket barrel but the factory one shoots so well I don't see the point.