Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Multi-gun Nationals

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It was appreciably cooler here today than the last 4 days of 100+ heat. Still got to around 91. Good thing is that the onshore flow kicked in, and the temp dropped overnight to around 60, and it didn't heat up too quickly today.

Forecast calls for chance of rain Saturday and Sunday with highs in the mid-70s.

Forecast calls for chance of rain Saturday and Sunday with highs in the mid-70s.

Good thing I decided to shoot tactical rather than open, no optics for the rain drops to screw up.

$64 Question Kathy: Is it really over 100 degrees up there like I heard it was yesterday (104 to be exact)?

Nope - max temp at 5:30pm was 94 on the car temp after sitting in the sun all day. It really wasn't uncomfortable at all! Don't forget to bring my $64 :)

The stages look awesome guys! I gotta get some gear so I can play too! BTW, 300 yds is a FREAKING long way away!

Glad to hear it's cooling off. 80's, even 90's I can hack, over 100 in any humidity at all and it's an endurance test, not a shooting match for me ;-/

300 yds is a FREAKING long way away
Only if you are shooting iron sights ;-)

It was appreciably cooler here today than the last 4 days of 100+ heat. Still got to around 91. Good thing is that the onshore flow kicked in, and the temp dropped overnight to around 60, and it didn't heat up too quickly today.

according to accuweather, friday a high of 84, saturdayand sunday 80. nice-i'm sick of 114 degrees. BUT, winds 12-15 mph all days, with gusts to 30. let's see, 14 " off at 360 with a 15mph wind...heavy bullet time.

so kathy-since you've been to the range already, is it spread out as much as tom makes it sound?

Kinda but not really :o Stage 1 and 2 are next to each other. Stage 3 through 11 are in a row and around a corner. Stage 12 is all by itself out in the field. The issue is getting from Stage 12 to Stage 1 and then from 2 over to 3 - BUT, the shuttle does work - so I don't think it's going to affect you guys at all.

What you do need to plan for is a lack of sustenance. It was 3:00pm before we got lunch today - I'm really really hoping that it's just cause they didn't "preplan" and that when the main match gets going that the food will be at the range and ready at lunch time. I went to the local store and bought some powerbars and other fillers though, just in case! There is also a SMALL cafe close to the range if anyone gets desparate.

so kathy-since you've been to the range already, is it spread out as much as tom makes it sound?

Kinda but not really :o Stage 1 and 2 are next to each other. Stage 3 through 11 are in a row and around a corner. Stage 12 is all by itself out in the field. The issue is getting from Stage 12 to Stage 1 and then from 2 over to 3 - BUT, the shuttle does work - so I don't think it's going to affect you guys at all.

What you do need to plan for is a lack of sustenance. It was 3:00pm before we got lunch today - I'm really really hoping that it's just cause they didn't "preplan" and that when the main match gets going that the food will be at the range and ready at lunch time. I went to the local store and bought some powerbars and other fillers though, just in case! There is also a SMALL cafe close to the range if anyone gets desparate.

thanx, kath-i'll plan on food and beer, uh, i guess just food and water. tell david we'll have a blast. my shotgun broke yeterday and although i found the part, dunno if it'll work till match day-not a good sign.

see you on friday.

Hey Butch, don't feel alone, my AR doubled once on my last practice and 150 test rounds later, no problemo. Disassemble at home, check everything, all OK, who knows, will it double again? I sure don't know, only the match will tell.

Maybe we can be the bailing wire and chewing gum gang ;-)

Got into Albany about 8:45pm it was still like 80+ degrees out. Good news is the Phoenix Suites has free WiFi and the air conditioning kicks serious azz :-)

I will see anyone shooting MOR in the morning.

BTW, anyone see the second super squad (2) not winding up shooting stage 12 at the end of the day on Saturday as scheduled? Note that super squad 1 is scheduled to be on the LD rifle stage (12) at 9am on Sunday. Guess which is a better time for still wind conditions. Any bets this disparate supersquad LD rifle stage schedule changes before the match is over?

Lunch today was a last minute affair, simply because the folks were still busy getting things done. The new food vendor(yep, surprise number 1173-the original vendor showed up today and said he wouldn't do it) will have cold sandwiches and such on the range tomorrow for lunch. The new one is Wyatt's, which is the local brew pub. We will have to see how good they are. Hot lunches for Friday and Saturday, cold cuts on Sunday is the current plan.

Tom Chambers

Range Master

2006 US Multi Gun Nationals

"BTW, anyone see the second super squad (2) not winding up shooting stage 12 at the end of the day on Saturday as scheduled? Note that super squad 1 is scheduled to be on the LD rifle stage (12) at 9am on Sunday. Guess which is a better time for still wind conditions. Any bets this disparate supersquad LD rifle stage schedule changes before the match is over?"

of course they will how did George Orwell put it ? some pigs are more equal than others

End of day one and the match is going along swimmingly. Everett and Tom are running a pretty darned tight ship and everything is going real smoothly in a challenging environment. They deserve a big hand for what they have pulled off here. The range is pretty cramped, but they have made it work. The shuttle does it's job and folks are having a great time across the board from what I can see.

Not too hot today, local weather said 81 degrees, but I swear it was a lot hotter on some of the ranges I stood around on after lunch.

The MOR match on Thursday went smoothly and got going real close to the published time (9am). Our squad was done with all four stages by 1:30 pm. Shawn Carlock looks to be the MOR champ this year with Mike & Matt divying up 2nd and 3rd (couldn't tell who got which from just the stage results). Gordon Baladad took 4th and yours truly rounded out the top 5 (WooHoo!). Difficulty factor was high on the LD stage with 8" plates at 450+ yards and 3" plates at 230 yards. Doping the wind was make, or break here.

BTW, the wind is running 3-5 mph in the morning, kicks up some by 11am and is running pretty gol-durned gusty by mid/late-afternoon. We hit the LD rifle stage at 1pm tomorrow ;-)

More later, gotta' go clean guns and mags now.

By the way, I think I heard someone say that they found your cooler, with contents. check in the stat-shack tomorrow, we'll try to connect the two of you.

WooHoo! That is good news. Thanks again Bruce!

All things being equal, the windiest time of day is 2-4 PM. Reading George's post drug up some thoughts from my days in the ag chemical business (killing was my business, and business was good ;) ).

Good luck to everyone!