Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Para Gurus Need Some Help

Im trying to get my trigger pull down to 2lbs/ 1 3/4lbs. and cant get it to work. The hammer keeps on fallowing. I spoke to one of the guys in our club and he said I have to change the main spring to a four leaf spring so I did but the spring didnt fit. I then talked to some one else and they said that I had to cange to a egw sear, d. k. hammer, ed brown ambi safety, and a disconector of unknown origin any help on this would be great. thanks guys!

A 2# trigger that is safe and will actually last more than a couple hundred rounds is an art, not something to try on your own without all the tools and some really good coaching. A 4 leaf spring will just make it harder to balance the weight and more prone to follow and/or full auto excursions......

Buy good parts, send it to a good gunsmith, and be done with it. It is actually cheaper than tanking a couple good parts trying to do it yourself.

Benny Hill does the best 1911 triggers I have used and he can turn it around a lot faster than most gunsmiths.

If you have to do it yourself buy the jigs and stones. Pick up a couple sets of McCormick parts to work on and test jig settings. Figure out what you are doing on them before working premium parts, it is a LOT cheaper. The stock para hammers are OK, but the sears are pretty much junk. Don't waste time with them.

The only other thing I can add is that I have used triggers from 5 pounds down to 1.5 pounds on the same gun in matches, there was no difference in times or points. As long as the trigger is smooth and predictable you won't gain much if any by lightening the weight.

Hawaiian: just wondering what caliber your gun is. as for getting that 2# pull, buy quality parts and send it to a smith . I used drop in parts from C&S and the trigger pull is at 3#. If i want it lower i'll send it to a smith. better to have someone who does it for a living to do it than someone who does it once in a great while.

Edited by yoshidaex

ok guys im sorry. I tryed to wright this while my wife was yelling at me to leave the house.

I should have been much more clear. First off I AM NOT DOING THE WORK ON MY GUN. I have a great gun smith here in hawaii. The problem is that every body here uses sti or sv or brazos and lem cat im the first one to use a para so no one has very much knolege on para's. Im coming to you, to ask what parts I need to buy and who makes them. That way I can give them to my gun smith. by the way I can hardly change the oil in my car no less do a trigger job lol. and for the person that wanted to know the caliber its 40.

Hawaiian: just wondering what caliber your gun is. as for getting that 2# pull, buy quality parts and send it to a smith . I used drop in parts from C&S and the trigger pull is at 3#. If i want it lower i'll send it to a smith. better to have someone who does it for a living to do it than someone who does it once in a great while.

could you gine me the link to c & s for there trigers could not find it on my search

Edited by flyin hawaiian

Check on the dealers page on this site and look at Brazos Custom Guns 1911 parts.

Bob sells the C&S parts or Extreme Engineering or one of those things.

Also Dave Dawson at the Dawsonprecision site has his trigger group kit.

Al

Don't despair. I've actually found it easy to work on my Para triggers. Have 3 open guns with 1 3/4 lb triggers and 2 Lim guns with 2 lb triggers. First, throw away the stock parts and buy a quality hammer, sear and sear spring. It doesn't make much difference who makes them, but it may be a little easier if you get the matched sear and hammers from one mfg (look in Brownells or go directly to one of the mfg). I use a 17 lb mainspring with 2 coils cut off but this may vary by gun. By the way none of my hammers follow and one of the open guns has over 100,000 rounds over the trigger group.

If you have not done much of your own gunsmith work let a smith do it as it took me probably hundreds of fit-remove-bend-fit-remove cycles to get the right balance between the various spring tensions and parts. With modern parts a lot is the balance between the tension of the left 2 prongs of the sear spring. This can be done with a 3 or a 4 prong sear spring. just buy a quality spring not one from the parts bin at the local gun show.

Good Luck.

hawaiian, I had a 1.5lbs trigger on my old para limited.

like the others have said, dump the stock parts. get the keoing hammer, egw hard sear, C&S or extreme engineering race disconnector (same part, different packaging)svi sear spring (get 2, you'll probally ruin the 1st one), sti trigger for the para, powers no. 1 sear jig, stones, etc.

or you could take it to Cem at esteban tactical let him do it.

http://ipscgun.com/default.asp

hawaiian, I had a 1.5lbs trigger on my old para limited.

like the others have said, dump the stock parts. get the keoing hammer, egw hard sear, C&S or extreme engineering race disconnector (same part, different packaging)svi sear spring (get 2, you'll probally ruin the 1st one), sti trigger for the para, powers no. 1 sear jig, stones, etc.

or you could take it to Cem at esteban tactical let him do it.

http://ipscgun.com/default.asp

hey bro whats up did you compete in the states this year.

EGW hard sear and Koenig hammer. Some folks drop them in and get around two # just like that. To be sure, get a smith to do it (I did, and got a nkce trigger under 2#). The sear and hammer are not specific to the type of widebody 1911, AFAIK.

Kevin C.

Im trying to get my trigger pull down to 2lbs/ 1 3/4lbs. and cant get it to work. The hammer keeps on fallowing. I spoke to one of the guys in our club and he said I have to change the main spring to a four leaf spring so I did but the spring didnt fit. I then talked to some one else and they said that I had to cange to a egw sear, d. k. hammer, ed brown ambi safety, and a disconector of unknown origin any help on this would be great. thanks guys!

+1 on using new parts as Para uses Metal Injection Molding (MIM) trigger parts.

I have a Para that has a 2 1/4 trigger job. I did the trigger job myself. It uses all Ed Brown Hardcore series part. I also used a 1911 sear jig.

I could probably get it 2 lbs or less but chose not to run it thay way.

Edited by 45gunner

I think we are on the same boat. Am still holding off with my stock para trigger group while waiting for the trigger parts I ordered from Dawson. What I did was removed all the series80 parts (except for the plunger lever), lightened the hammer by using a dremel cutting disc, lightened the mainspring by cutting about 3-4 coils i think, changed my recoil spring to 13lbs, sanded (2000grit) & polished the sear, disconnector & sear spring contact points.

So far got a decent trigger pull. Don't have a measuring tool to know exactly how many pounds I shed off from the stock trigger pull. I can't lighten it down anymore because of the stock trigger, stock hammer strut and no shim slot filler so that I can totally remove the last series80 part. Without the slot filler, the sear moves a little bit to the right thus making it disengage from the sear spring prematurely.

Will buy a STI para trigger and titanium hammer strut this week, Hopefully the other trigger parts will arrive by the end of the month (including the shim slot filler).