Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Glock Magwells

Stuck in C

I'm looking for a magwell for my G35 limited gun. I've tried 2 different ones and both seriously interfered with my Arredondo +5 base pads. I did a search on this forum and found some useful information but most of the posts were old. It seems like there are three that might work, but I can't decide: Dawson Ice, Novak Handgunners, and THE Accessories. Anybody with any experience with these and the Arredondo basepads? I don't mind shaving the basepads a little, but I'd rather not modify the Glock frame at all. Right now I'm not using one, so I could also continue to do that...

I've used the THE brass, and Heavy Dawson ICE on G17's and a G35 with no interference

problems. I use the Arredondo +5's, and TF 140 and 170 pads. All the Glocks are 3rd

generation.

I have used the NHO, JP Enterprise and THE magazine wells with all of Arredondo basepads with no problems. For most of my Glocks I am using the NHO (Novak's) (G34, G35, G17, G20 G22 in Stainless 3rd Gen Frames) (G21 in Aluminum 3rd Gen Frame) except for one JP Enterprise that I'm using for ESP (G22 in Alloy 2nd Gen Frame). On a side note at one time I was considering using the SJC but since I now compete with Large Framed Glocks that left me with very few options,

Edited by ryucasta

I have tried all of the magwells for glocks and by the best I have found is the one made by SJC. The reason I prefer it over the other one is that it is big. It is the same size as the dawson ice magwells for STI's. The problem with the Dawson Ice for the Glock is that it is small. Checkout SJC's stuff at www.Glockjockey.com.

I had the THE brass magwell, and didn't like it too much. OTOH, I really, really like the Dawson ICE magwell that I have on, now. Never tried the SJC -- I'm not sure how much larger a well one would need -- the Dawson feels cavernous! :)

IMO, things to also consider:

How hard it is to install? Need to cut the plastic?

Will magazines drop free without modification? Half of mine don't, with the ICE.

What sort of impact does the magwell have on your grip? Good/bad/none?

Weight -- how much does the magwell change the balance and feel of the gun?

I just started shooting a flat gun (G22) for some matches (usually a revo guy) and set it up with the JP magwell because I didn't want to change the balance of the gun much, and I love it. If you are thinking about shooting IDPA as well as IPSC, I was told this was the way to go. I haven't done an IDPA match so far, but there is probably one in my future. The magwell just fit right in, and down went the reload times!

Try the SJC - you wont regret it. I have tried a Dawson and didnt care for it (too small).

Also had some difficulty getting the Dawson to fit. The SJC went right on. The SJC angle also feels better for larger hands. Top of weak hand (support hand) rotates forward more giving me a better grip .

Jim

I have used the NHO, JP Enterprise and THE magazine wells with all of Arredondo basepads with no problems. For most of my Glocks I am using the NHO (Novak's) (G34, G35, G17, G20 G22 in Stainless 3rd Gen Frames) (G21 in Aluminum 3rd Gen Frame) except for one JP Enterprise that I'm using for ESP (G22 in Alloy 2nd Gen Frame). On a side note at one time I was considering using the SJC but since I now compete with Large Framed Glocks that left me with very few options,

ryucasta, I just sent one of my large frame mags with a Grams basepad To NHO to see if their magwell with work with it. Tom had mentioned he hadn't tried a Grams basepad with his new large frame magwells yet. I'll let you know what he finds out.

Glock21c,

Hope it works for you. BTW I am also using the NHO Big Mouth for the G20/21 with the Pierce Grip plus 2 extensions with no problems.

Edited by ryucasta

• 2 weeks later...

looking for the best magwell can't really experiment too much due to money restrictions. I have 2 arredondo +5 bases on their way in the mail and need something that works well with them. And I don't have a "small hands glock" it's a 20 so finding magells has become more difficult.

kinda off topic does anyone know what sprinds to use with the arredondo +5 for the glock 20/21? can you use stockers or do you have to put wolff or ISMI in them to make them work right?

has anyone got anymore than +5 out of them in a 20?

ISMI for Para Ordnance work fine you can also use Wolff's if you are on budget since they sell them in 10 packs. As far as Magazine Wells for a G20/21 I would suggest one of the following depending on your budget Glockmeister (Aluminum or Brass polymer insert) California Competition Works (Polymer with alloy insert) and Novak Hand gunner Outlet (Stainless with Brass Insert or Aluminum with either Brass or Polymer insert). BTW, I compete with the G20 (USPSA Limited) and G21 (IDPA CDP) and have tried all of those magazine wells with the Arredondo extensions and the Pierce +2 and I prefer the Novak design.

Edited by ryucasta