Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Cv-500 Overheating / Rpm Dropping-surging

My CV-500 suddenly went on the fritz today. It has a new (approx 18 mo. old) motor from Dillon. Basically the motor is overheating. When I started it up, it ran fine, then the motor started audibly losing RPM down the point to where it was barely turning.

I reduced the case load to less than what I normally run. Didn't help. Finally, I put a fan in front of the tumbler and that helped the motor maintain close to normal RPM. Oddly, this time the bearings seem fine. The shop was about 88° when I first started the tumbler, but also did it at 80° later in the evening. Motors ought to be able to run normally at 80° ambient.

Anyone have experience with these types of motors? Could it be the internal overheat switch that's giving me grief? Or are the bearings actually overheating - but just don't feel rough when you turn the motor by hand.

I'm just totally frustrated. I'm going to order a CV-2001 tomorrow, but this motor was too young to die. I want to keep the small tumbler, because it does have some utility for running smaller batches, but throwing another $50 at it to replace the motor seems like throwing good money after bad...

Anyone sourced a replacement motor?

Does it have a fan mounted to the motor? I bought one from a local shop and it has a fan mounted to the motor shaft for cooling. I never thought about this until I was reading something someplace about people adding fans to the cheapie Frankford Arsenal units available from Midway and getting longer motor life.

Mine's a smaller unit, and I seldom clean more than 300 cases at a time, but I've never had problems. Can't remember the brand, though.

Does it have a fan mounted to the motor? I bought one from a local shop and it has a fan mounted to the motor shaft for cooling. I never thought about this until I was reading something someplace about people adding fans to the cheapie Frankford Arsenal units available from Midway and getting longer motor life.

The cheapy Midway tumblers don't have fans anymore? Mine (an old, old Midway) has one, and it even has a couple blades left (I think it started with 4), attached to the shaft with the counterweight.

Eric,

Your description sounds like the thermal shutoff is engaging. You aren't operating the tumbler on carpet are you? Is this the original motor, or have you sent it in for replacement once already? Inquiring minds want to know.... :unsure:

Hi Dillon,

Tumbler is running on a hard surface and always has been. My solution was to order a CV-2001...........and a 1050 so that the tumbler won't get lonely.

The motor was replaced at Dillon about 18 months or so ago.

-------------------------------

Ivan,

No warranty on electronic items from Dillon over 1 y.o. :( And unless someone's going to mail me a motor, I'm not throwing good money after bad on this thing to "fix" it again.

E

-----------------------------------

Lynn,

Nope. Tight as can be.

Edited by EricW

my cv 500 motor lasted 6 months, then started acting up, just like you stated in your post. The tumbler would run fine, then it would start to slow down. Called Dillon and they told me to send it in. They fixed that problem, but now the on/off switch works when it wants to, and its kinda frustrating. probably a loose wire somewhere.

Eric,

Since your unit has had the motor replaced in the last two years, you can just buy a replacement motor and install it yourself. Older CV-500s had to be sent in for motor replacement, as other parts had to be changed as well. Yours is current, so the motor just bolts in. A replacement motor is $20.36 plus shipping. call me at work, ask for extension 311.

Paper Killer,

If you are modestly mechanically inclined, you can check out the rocker switch by disassembling it. Please unplug it first.

Eric,

Since your unit has had the motor replaced in the last two years, you can just buy a replacement motor and install it yourself. Older CV-500s had to be sent in for motor replacement, as other parts had to be changed as well. Yours is current, so the motor just bolts in. A replacement motor is $20.36 plus shipping. call me at work, ask for extension 311.

Paper Killer,

If you are modestly mechanically inclined, you can check out the rocker switch by disassembling it. Please unplug it first.

Thanks,

I'll call today. I just wish there was an option to put a better motor with greater longevity on the unit. I don't mind paying a fair price for equipment. I just mind fixing it after I've paid for it, if ya know what I mean... But with all U.S. manufacturing going to Mexico now, I'm sure that the options for sourcing quality motors are getting limited too. :(

• 2 weeks later...

Update:

Dillon took care of me...and how! I got everything I needed to fix my tumbler toute site. Thank you Dillon!

The CV-500 is purring along nicely. It'll be great to have it and the CV-2001 once it gets here next week. B)

I've got a Midway tumbler I bought 7 years ago, it runs pretty much all the time, and I bog it down with way too much brass. the only time I've had a problem with it is when I moved into my house. It was sitting on top of a bucket of brass and when my buddy went to pass me the bucket the tumbler fell, it was about 7ft up and it hit the cement pretty hard. the lid broke, one of the quick nuts went flying, and all the media spilled everwhere. I took it downstairs and plugged it in, and it just made this weird noise and did nothing. I ripped it apart, took the weight off, plugged it in and it ran fine. Put the weight back on, plugged it in again, and it's run ever since. I will be ordering one of the Dillon ones though, I need to do more brass, so I can keep up to this 1050 I am starting to love.

"...........and a 1050 so that the tumbler won't get lonely."

Coolness!

Prepare to be spoiled. There's a good chance you won't bother to turn your head to spit at any other press after you've had some time with your 1050. :D:lol::lol: