Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Remington 38 Super Brass

Remington pretty much invented +P brass that proved reliable for 175 PF floor Major loads...the only reason it has fallen on the popularity scale is availability and price. I have a friend who gets like 20 reloads out of his.

Remington pretty much invented +P brass that proved reliable for 175 PF floor Major loads...the only reason it has fallen on the popularity scale is availability and price. I have a friend who gets like 20 reloads out of his.

Price? Is there cheaper brass thats equivalant

Remmington is the best as far as I am concerned. I buy it from Midway and the price is the best I have found. I think it is out of stock right now. I keep two boxes of 2000 rounds in my back stock brass. I open a new box about once a year.

What is the advantage of Nickel plated brass?

I tend to avoid it because I read somewhere that it is harder (more prone to split) and the Nickel finish tends to flake over time.

It also causes more wear and tear on reloading dies.

Right or wrong?

Tls

Edited by tlshores

What is the advantage of Nickel plated brass?

I tend to avoid it because I read somewhere that it is harder (more prone to split) and the Nickel finish tends to flake over time.

It also causes more wear and tear on reloading dies.

Right or wrong?

Tls

I think the only advantage of nickel is that it feels a lot slicker than brass. It should drag less out of the mag and maybe feed a little better. It also cleans up a lot quicker in the tumbler.

Back in the UK I used to shoot Remington Nickel all the time. I remember a batch of 500 cases lasting me all year. I used to shoot twice a week, plus national matches. I must have reloaded that brass at least 50 times.

And this was back when we were making 175+ PF, but we were all using 158 grain bullets so pressure wasn't too bad.

I was also getting 10+ reloadings on the Rem Nickel stuff, but once I switched to a fast 124, the cases started getting beat headstamps/loose primer pockets and an occasional mouth split after 5-6 loadings. Big diff in pressure spike from a 150gr at 1190 fps to a 124gr at 1440 fps ;-)

BTW, I only use my WW brass 3-4x at 170PF nowadays so I do think the Remington was good stuff overall. Especially at the lower PF in use today.

In my experience the Remington primer pockets loosen up just a hair sooner than Winchester or Starline.

Edited to say that I have also gotten double digit reloads out of Remington brass, but Winchester and Starline last a few loadings longer. I'd buy any of the three.

Edited by JFD

That is what I heard from the other fellow shooters but I will try them. Right now, it is very hard to get 38 super brass especially WIN brass. Still can get starline but also expensive. Thanks again for all your inputs.

I use rem nickel brass in my .38 super open gun. On a new batch now, but the cases i was using before had survived plenty of loading cycles at 175+ power factor (124/125's at 1400+ fps). Never causes me any problems.

Remington +P is the best Super brass I've used.

Advantage of nickel?

[stop reading if you don't want an addiction to nickel brass]

---

Load 4 rounds of nickel ammo in your mag. Then load 4 rounds of brass. 4 more of nickel, 4 more of brass. Load gun with that mag & shoot the ammo, 4 rounds at a time. Watch your dot & see what happens.

I can't see a similar effect with iron sites [limited] - only see it with the red dot.

Remington +P is the best Super brass I've used.

Advantage of nickel?

[stop reading if you don't want an addiction to nickel brass]

---

Load 4 rounds of nickel ammo in your mag. Then load 4 rounds of brass. 4 more of nickel, 4 more of brass. Load gun with that mag & shoot the ammo, 4 rounds at a time. Watch your dot & see what happens.

I can't see a similar effect with iron sites [limited] - only see it with the red dot.

I haven't tried it yet but I am gathering that the nickel brass doesn't have as much dot movement? Is that what you are getting at. I don't see how brass or nickel would make that much of a difference in recoil or dot movement. Has anyone else experienced the same thing?

• 2 months later...

I have used the Remington 38 SDuper in my S&W 686 revolver with excellent results.

Hi guys,

Need some help and good advice if brand Remington 38 super brass is a good brass or not.

Thanks for your input.

Sincerely,

Turbocomp38s