Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Ft Benning Question For Benelli2

Jeff....summer vacation is 1/2 over and Mikey is driving me crazy...any hint on the max distance at Ft Benning?..... I sure would like to shoot the 1.5x16 ACOG but my poor old eyes are only good for about 300m on a Lavore size target....an early heads up would give me a little time with the 4x32... regards Les

Don't worry, be happy, I have not seen the stages yet but it is not anticipated to have anything smaller than a LaRue at 300 so all us old guys should be able to see the targets. So would shoot what you want I don't think seeing them will be the issue.

jc

Hi Jeff

I think we had a LaRue target on the side match last year and from what I remember the 55grain 223 had a hard time knocking it down. Are they going tobe calibrated lite enough for 55grain 223 at 300 yards?

Ronnie

Edited by Still Praying

I think it comes down to hitting it, I shot 52 grn loads on the side match and knocked it down every time I hit it. Often times lighter bullets will have to hit a hinged target higher than a heavier bullet will, just like a plate rack and a shotgun

The Larue targets are not designed to fall at 300 with a 55-gr hit lower than the on the head. They recommend that the lower half of the targets be block by railroad ties when set at ranges beyond 200 yards for engagements with .223 rifles. (Only because everyone always blames the targets when they don't fall). 77gr, especially MK262, works better lighter .223 bullets too.

Hi Paule

That just goes along with what I heard. At the rifle side match last year they had some Atlanta Arms 68 grain (I think) because of this. The RO there said I needed to use them because of this. It will be rough if a 55 grain 223 won't knock it down. Their are a lot of shooters that use them. I use Ga Arms 55 grain, out of a 16" barrel. I know I can hit the target, but I'm not sure it will knock that heavy of a target down at 300. (this round makes USPSA minor power factor out of my gun) I would hate to see a stage thrown out because of this.

Jeff

The question is. Will the LaRue targets be calibrated for a 223 55 grain?

Thanks

Ronnie

Just a little FYI;

for the past three years, the long range stage at SMM3G in Mesa has had those knock-down Larue targets at around 300 yards, and they have thrown out the stage ALL THREE YEARS because of problems with those targets... :(

jj

If ya'll would get some real rifles instead of those "poodle Poppers" then you would not have to worry about it.

I don't need to substitute a larger caliber because of a smaller caliber somewhere else.

I also have a large enough caliber to post my name, so everyone knows who to be mad at.

Ronnie

But then I would not be able to go poodle hunting, they say they taste just like chickin

George Carlin usta' say that "if it tastes just like chicken, why not just serve chicken" ;-)

A buddy of mine used to make up a yearly flyer many moons ago about the "Annual Poodle Shoot & Barbecue" for his local sporting club. I think he managed to get it to 8th annual. There was a great set of rules, weapon and competitor classes, procedures on field dressing for weigh-in, etc.... It was about as funny as something like this can get. If I ever come up with a copy of one of those in my old junk I will try to scan and post it.

It's the size of the target not the distance. Usually have at least a 3 moa target at any given distance, as long as that holds true why worry.

True to a point, but I have a lot easier time hitting 3" dots at 100 yards than 12" plates at 400. Especially if the wind is blowing. Or if the elevation is different than where I normally shoot.

Maybe a chicken shoot? Used to hunt bantys with a BB gun when I was a shaver. Lots of fun and they taste like chicken too.

It's the size of the target not the distance. Usually have at least a 3 moa target at any given distance, as long as that holds true why worry.

True to a point, but I have a lot easier time hitting 3" dots at 100 yards than 12" plates at 400. Especially if the wind is blowing. Or if the elevation is different than where I normally shoot.

Maybe a chicken shoot? Used to hunt bantys with a BB gun when I was a shaver. Lots of fun and they taste like chicken too.

There is an easy answer to this situation. If the LaRue targets are to much for the 55's at that distance, then proper course design would allow for those who needed to shoot them from much closer to do so, while allowing the competitors using rounds with better long (relatively) range performance or are willing to make a head shot from the longer distances to do so as well. That way we all have a choice. If you or I chose poorly....well Jeff already addressed that in the steel calibration rules, eh?

If you are shooting steel...bring Man bullets, no whining. You can expect 300 yards and you might want to practice hanging from a parachute harness and an IBS...in the water.

There will be no morale.

Still Praying, please don't be mad. If you notice, I did put all kinds of smiley faces after the statement......I was meant to be a light hearted joke.

I personally have 2 Poodle Poppers myself, and they are a good weapon/toy but my father always told me not to give a mans job to a boy.......or something like that.

All I am saying is that the 7.62x54 will do a much better job on steel at 300 meters nothing more, nothing less.

So......bring on the Poodles. ;)

BD