Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Lefty Issues With The Glock Mag Release

mike cyrwus

Hi, Im shooting a 34 in production, and the mag release is killer on my trigger finger, since, as a lefty, its what I use.

I will soon swap the extended mag release for a normal one, and I think that may help, but is there any aftermarket spring I can get to make it easier to actuate?

Another, perhaps more important question I have is related to production division mods; can I hit the corners and edges of the mag release with some sandpaper just to knock the edge off? How far can I go any keep this legal?

A veteran shooter said something to me about being able to do minor detailing to stock parts for production, is this true?

Im not trying to gain any kind of advantage, I just want to lessen the pain on my finger pad as I try to drop a mag.

I searched here for previous posts, but I didnt come across any.

Id welcome any thoughts or suggestions you all might have. :)

Other than sights and grip tape, no external mods, though you could probably argue that the super tough rhino hide you call your skin wore away the edges of the polymer on the mag release....

On my 35, which is the same frame, I had the same problem. The front-lower corner will quickly wear a bloody strip in your middle finger, and hurts like hell on the press as well. I dremeled that corner and the bottom edge slightly, and the pain went away. Even in production, the amount of material shouldn't disqualify you. It may be the "word" of the rules, but certainly not by the spirit of the rule. I would be very surprised if anyone could notice the dulled point on my mag release unless they were looking for it.

H.

Edited by Houngan

i to shoot in a rh world :lol: ...try to add enough grip tape to the left side...add more in the area where the middle finge sets..kinda like building a finger rest, to keep the middle finger angled down some..also trim your mag release at an angle also..no need to keep it square with the frame..

I have played around with reduced power mag catch springs. All the spring is is a straight

piece of spring wire. Measure the diameter, get some wire a size smaller. Cut a piece

to the correct length and install. Brownell's sells the wire in a kit with many sizes.

Check with your gunsmith--he probably has the kit.

aah, the old "spirit" of the rules interpretation! :D

Uh, this isnt really helping my thread, which I posted for information.

thanks.

Sorry if it offended, but it is providing information. Do you want to follow the word of the rules or the spirit of them? If spirit, go ahead and sand away, no one will know...except you...and the folks on here who read this and shoot with you.

aah, the old "spirit" of the rules interpretation! :D

Uh, this isnt really helping my thread, which I posted for information.

thanks.

Sorry if it offended, but it is providing information. Do you want to follow the word of the rules or the spirit of them? If spirit, go ahead and sand away, no one will know...except you...and the folks on here who read this and shoot with you.

Right, but is sanding off a rough corner even against the word of the rules? I don't see how, frankly, when there is no advantage gained or lost. It's strictly to cause less pain but maintain the exact same functionality.

H.

I caused the drift, and I apologize. Houngan, let's say the finger grooves on my G34 cause me pain. Can I sand them off? Same "functionality" as my older G22 with no grooves. Does it give me an advantage?

Sorry to be a pain (no pun intended), but when we choose to shoot production, we choose all the baggage that goes with it (just my opinion, I could be wrong) unfortunately, Gaston, in his wisdom, must not have foreseen people who are left-handed shooting his gun.... :D

The Production rules say nothing about "advantage gained".

They say "no external modifications".

That is the black and white of it. Take it for what it's worth.

Another, perhaps more important question I have is related to production division mods; can I hit the corners and edges of the mag release with some sandpaper just to knock the edge off? How far can I go any keep this legal?

There is the magical question. How far? From a rules standpoint, the answer has to be zero...or we would be getting different answers from one club to the next.

I will soon swap the extended mag release for a normal one, and I think that may help, but is there any aftermarket spring I can get to make it easier to actuate?

Swapping to the smaller Glock mag release should help. I don't know of any after market spring. You can take yours out and doctor on it (internal part, not external). It is just a leaf spring. Be very careful, if you get it light enough that it breaks off, then you are likely going to have to send the gun back to Glock for a new frame.

The Production rules say nothing about "advantage gained".

They say "no external modifications".

That is the black and white of it. Take it for what it's worth.

Valid point, especially with "scope creep" and needing a hard and fast rule. BUT, we can put on aftermarket sights, correct? And grip tape, rubber sleeves, etc? And we can polish the internals. Something like this request, IMHO, should fall under "deburring" a gun's action, but then I don't make the rules.

H.

Well, even though I put "quote" in my post above, I was really paraphrasing. I figured that would come back on me...but, it's too much work to quote the whole rule book.

Yes, there are modifications allowed in Production. Sight, grip tape and internal work are all covered as exceptions to keeping the gun stock.

Other external modifications aren't.

That is just the nature of the beast.

Well, even though I put "quote" in my post above, I was really paraphrasing. I figured that would come back on me...but, it's too much work to quote the whole rule book.

Yes, there are modifications allowed in Production. Sight, grip tape and internal work are all covered as exceptions to keeping the gun stock.

Other external modifications aren't.

That is just the nature of the beast.

[/quote

actually......do you really think that a RO will check any or every production gun for a minor repair to the mag release[and or any part ]....and really i dont mean this as in a smart #ss answer/question..really i don't...

if a shooter does repair his production in a manner as taking off 1/32" of an inch.. and he wins his division..then does the weapon get checked over by a RO?? what happens??does he get DQ'd??? or what happens after the match and the shooter says "man , i'm glad i fixed that mag release..you know , just cut it back enough to keep me from hitting it all the time" and another production shooter hears him.what happens??...

+2.... southpaw and use my middle finger. I have a nice callous there, as a matter of fact. :)

And the corner doesn't dig into your finger when you hit it? First thing I did to my new 35 was Dremel that point and the lower edge to dullness.

H.

I tried using the normal non extended release, that helped,

and I just thought of the middle finger this morning at the range.

I guess Im not going to get around backing off some with my strong hand grip to make it a more positive release.

My index finger really hurts, too.

I wonder if this can be bad for my trigger control?

+2.... southpaw and use my middle finger. I have a nice callous there, as a matter of fact. :)

And the corner doesn't dig into your finger when you hit it? First thing I did to my new 35 was Dremel that point and the lower edge to dullness.

H.

My hands are pretty de-sensitized..... I am not sure I'd feel it if it was digging me or not.

I'll look at it this weekend and see if I can tell.

Mike

I have heard a lot of people talk about the stock mag release on the 34 as a hinderance when shooting left-handed. They say that it gets in the way when pulling the trigger with the left trigger finger. Anyone else have this problem and anyone find a good solution? Are there many things you can do to the mag release and keep it production legal?

Irate