Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Why 40 Minor Fo Production?

tenchu74

At the moment I shoot a 1911 in limited 10 but am planning to try production soon. I was going to get a Springfield XD9 tactical.

Lately I've noticed quite a few people shooting production with loaded down fortys.

Why would you you do this when 9mm is so cheap? I don't reload, and to start seems like a waste of my limited time and a pain in the ass! Should I reconsider, is there an advantage to the 40 over 9? Thanks for your input!

Steve

Steve,

You have asked the never ending debate of 9 or 40.

To answer this ask some friends to let you shoot their guns in 9 and 40 and decide for yourself. There are a lot of opinions on this don't be pushed one way or the other by someones word.

Rich

GOOD Choice on the XD and if you send it for a visit with RIIID Can be a real sweet piece.

Main reason I chose 40 .Originally was ccw but then started shooting USPSA and like it so much I added a couple more.

The big advantage for me is the ability to move up and shoot l10 major with it if I want or minor in production.

Edited by R/T Performance

Convenience.

All my competition guns are .40. I have the powders, components and recipes. A couple of turns on the seating die and powder measure dial and I'm up and running.

That being said, I may someday get a 9mm for production if I ever follow my retirement dream of cruising around and shooting matches around the country. 9mm, I think might be both cheaper and more readily available whereever I shoot (or I could use Precision Delta at the major USPSA matches), or easier to lug around enough ammo w/ me if needs be.

Some people like the difference in recoil. Some people (especially those shooting Glocks) shoot the same gun for production and Limited and want to score major in Limited Division.

And I guess that many, probably even most IPSC shooters reload, so you're probably in the minority on that one. Usually for a couple of reasons:

1. cost

2. being able to customize your load.

I don't reload, and to start seems like a waste of my limited time and a pain in the ass! Should I reconsider, is there an advantage to the 40 over 9? Thanks for your input!

Shoot enough (even factory 9) and you will revisit your "reloading" thought.

As far as the advantage (in addition to a larger diameter hole) the downloaded .40 to minor PF feels (to most) softer. It has to do with a heavy bullet and slower velocity.

Most can reload .40 for between 95-110 $ per case (exclusive of brass and once fired .40 brass is cheap and lasts forever at minor PF) factory 9 isn't that inexpensive even in case lots, and on a good progressive machine (Dillon 650 or better a 1050) 1000- 1300 rounds an hour is possible, average between 750-900.

There are a few custom cartidge manufacturers that sell "minor" .40 ammo but the cost per round is high. If you don't plan on reloading (when you buy the XD) go for 9, I don't think you will like the cost of factory .40.

Because it works (especially if you reload).

I am pretty much the only one at my local matches that shoots a .40 Glock 35 in production. I reload so I shoot minor power factor. I thought "well maybe I'm at a disadvantage shooting .40, everybody else shoots .9" I bought a G17 to try (maybe I should have gotten a G34) but I don't like it. I think I'm going back to my G35, and like someone else said "bigger holes"

I shoot Production primarily in the winter time, so I use a 9mm. I don't have to worry about looking for the cases in the snow.

I use CCI Blazer in my Glock, it's just as accurate as any of the factory stuff and makes a 134PF in my G34. I can get a case of CCI Blazer for around $129, tax included, from the local FFL.

The difference in reloading costs between a 9mm and .40 are not that much. Seems like I pay about $5 more for .40 bullets. The .40 really does shoot softer than a 9mm. I have a G34 and G35 that my wife and I use for IDPA. Both are loaded to a 128-130 pf. The G35 is a bit heavier than the G34, but it is softer shooting.

If you don't reload then the 9mm is the way to go. There is a huge difference in a 115 gr load and a 147 gr load.

A few years ago I had a Kimber .40 and a SA 9mm. The Kimber was much easier to shoot recoil wise. It was a lot more reliable also. Making a 9mm, with that tapered case, run reliabily can be a challenge. Especially with 10 round mags.

If you really want a powder puff gun shoot a G21 loaded to a 130 pf with 200 gr SWC bullets. Talk about big holes and soft shooting!

Reloading is real easy I do it on a little portable table I have and watch tv and reload. I enjoy it. Advise only use dillion die sets because of the seperate crimping die. Dillion die sets are real easy to use and fast to set up. I had trouble with RCBS and with Redding only on the setting die. I use Dillion crimp die and setting die but Redding resize die and case expanding die. Good luck if you do it takes a bit to work the bugs out of yourself and learn but rewarding. I like the fact I don't have to run down to the store everytime I want to shoot then I cannot shoot to much because of the expense. Now I don't worry.

Convenience.

All my competition guns are .40. I have the powders, components and recipes. A couple of turns on the seating die and powder measure dial and I'm up and running.

That being said, I may someday get a 9mm for production if I ever follow my retirement dream of cruising around and shooting matches around the country. 9mm, I think might be both cheaper and more readily available whereever I shoot (or I could use Precision Delta at the major USPSA matches), or easier to lug around enough ammo w/ me if needs be.

Ditto. I'm seriously considering converting to 40 for most of my handgun shooting: competition, defensive, and otherwise. All I'll need is one press with a Redding micrometer seater and a micrometer adjustable chargebar (or maybe an extra powder measure all dialed in). Yeah, you spend a little extra on lead, but the convenience factor may well be worth it.

Edited by EricW

The .40 really does shoot softer than a 9mm.

but does it really matter on paper?

Shoot a drill 10x with the minor 40 ammo and record hit factors. then shoot the same drill, 10x with the 9mm w/factory ammo record and compare your hit factors.

The following comes straight from TGO himself:

Some like fast and snappy recoil, others slower and soft. I do not seem to care too much one way or the other. What I think "feels good" may not give me the best results anyway and the only way to know what actually works best for you is to try everything

this came the same topic where he was talking about why he shot winchester white box 165 grain ammo at the world shoot instead of his trusty N310,nosler JHP starline brass loads.

I like the versatility of the .40. I just did not like the way a 9mm felt in a 1911 type gun. The .40 felt better to me. It does not make much difference in a Glock. I shoot the 34 just as well as the 35.

The G35 can be used for Production, Limited 10, Limited, SSP and ESP.

There is some truth to what Robbie is saying. I have always felt I was much faster with my Kimber .40 than with my Glock 35. A couple of months ago I shot an El Prez 5 or 6 times with each gun. I just knew I was really smoking with the Kimber. By the time I added up the times and points down I found out I was much better off shooting the Glock.

I currently shoot 9mm in Production and .40 in Limited. In addition to what others have said about the felt recoil, I would consider going to .40 instead of 9mm in Production because I love reloading .40s and I HATE reloading 9mm.

Quite often I get a 9mm upside down in my case feeder. This never happens with my .40s. The larger .40 bullets are also easier to grab. I also have to worry less about picking up .40 brass that has been exposed to "9 Major" abuse (loose primer pockets, brass thinning above the head, etc).

Darren

Why shoot .40 instead of 9mm in Production

One more thing to think about. We are going to start shooting IPSC matches in the USA. Run under IPSC, not USPSA rules. If you want to shoot those matches in Production, having a 9mm will be an advantage.

If you are only going to shoot USPSA matches, the extra capacity will make zero difference to you.

I shoot 9mm in production, I have a good load that is very soft on recoil. I understand that I could get an even softer felt recoil using .40, but I have realized that soft recoil is not that huge of a deal. I have begun to notice that the best production shooters do not shoot the lightest loads. I still like my light loads, now I think of them more along the lines of putting less wear and tear on the pistol.

Do any production GMs shoot .40?

For me the 9MM shoots the the most "soft" with 147gr bullets. This goes back to what TGO has said about heavier bullets less venting of gas out the barrel. Since they cost more than 115gr 9MM and often more than .40S&W, I can see the logic of loading down the 40S&W with a 180gr bullet. I haven't done it yet, but I need to give it a try.

bufit323,

Yes.

Rich

I guess a better question would have been do several production GMs shoot .40?

My point being that I am sure that they would not be willing to giving up any advantage (if they deemed the .40 to be one).

Robby Does

Category USPSA - Production Class

Gun Springfield Armory XD Tactical

Caliber .40

Barrel Length 5"

Sight BoMar rear, Dawson front

Gunsmith Springfield Custom Shop

Holster Safariland Model 5182

Ammo Factory: Winchester 180 gr. FMJ

Reloads: Nosler 180 gr. JHP, Vihtavuori N310, Starline brass, WW primers

Hers the link

Lethham's production gun