Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

10 yd Bill Drill

BigDave

THE "BILL DRILL"

According to Bill Wilson, this is the original Bill Drill:

The idea of all strings is to get the best possible hits.

"One target at seven yards.

String 1:  Fire 6 shots slowly and make the smallest group you can.

String 2:  Fire 6 shots with about .50 splits between each shot.

String 3:  Fire 6 shots as fast as you can."

Even though "that is according to Bill Wilson," that ain't what he told me and Robbie, long ago. Maybe he got tricky with some refinements...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

went out and gave it a try to day at 7yrd went like this........

2.48  29pt draw1.21

2.19  29pt draw1.10

2.06  26pt draw1.05 splits.21.21.19.21.19

where would that be in classification any body know???

(Edited by Pepper Popper at 7:48 pm on Jan. 27, 2003)

(Edited by Pepper Popper at 7:49 pm on Jan. 27, 2003)

Pepper Popper...that would score a big fat ZERO!.    

The drill requires ALL Alpha hits.  Please try again.

(Just giving you a hard time.   )

The Bill Drill is just a drill.  It isn't a USPSA classifier.  The idea is a one second draw and first Alpha hit, with the remaining five Alpha hits in 0.20 second splits.

Best time in competition was 1.57 but I think it had 1 C if I remember. I can do 1.6X on demand. M/GM measure of skill level used to be below 2.0, still is, but I would say now quite a few can go below 1.8 on a regular basis. I am an A but according to some less than reliable sources I should be higher classed. :)

Below 2.0 is still a great goal since when you get there its just shades of gray to improve. And if you can pull off 2.0 Bill Drills you can probably win any match that you try. Assuming you have all the other skills it takes.

Bill Drill's are for speed practice and to measure relaxation. Its usually a good idea not to get hung up on them. They are fun(Outstanding Name aside)

Sometimes I will shoot a group at 30 yards and then go right up and try to shoot a fast Bill Drill and vice versa. Guess to "balance" it out.

I haven't even come close to a two second Bill Drill because of the all A zone requirement and because I shoot them infrequently. I am at 84% limited.  I know several guys who can routinely smoke me on Bill Drills, but they don't even come close through the course of an entire match.

(Edited by Ron Ankeny at 10:11 am on Jan. 30, 2003)

I'm experimenting with doing this drill cold during match day. 2 magfulls to the berm and 1 with a target paying little attention to shot placement and more with "how everything is feeling today." I noticed I can better track my tension levels once I start with the COF's. YMMV though. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I shot this 8 times today and relized once again that BE is very wise.

My 1st 3 runs draw was .98 to 1.01 splits dead on .15 all A's, so I try to kick it up a notch and this happens:

5 runs draw = .78-.87 splits = .17-.19, 6 c's total

What I felt:

I was on my sight the whole time the 1st three strings Draw and shots. The next 5 reckless abandon, not seeing the sight very well reflex pulling the trigger.

The times end up being fast with the slow draw and faster splits (not much) but no flyers and

"felt" comfortable. Warp speed got me a fast draw, but I couldn't get the trigger working.

Grasshopper must see what the heck he is shooting to be rewarded. Now I hope I can remember this come my next match.

• 1 month later...

I did the 7 yard Bill Drill last night.

IDPA rig

2.32 30pts

2.34 30pts

2.31 30pts

2.34 30pts

2.46 30pts (bad grip) oopps

I found that I need to work on my draw time splits are around .21 to .20 thats about a 1.30.... draw. but this is out of a IDPA rig. How much difference does a race rig make on the draw?

thanks

bkeeler

I almost hate to admit being cheap, but I have been using an Uncle Mike's with my single stack in L10. I did make the speed cut deeper so it's not legal for IDPA. I was screwing around at the range the other day with my single stack and the cheapo holster and I shot the fastest 7 yard Bill Drill of my life, but I had a couple of C hits so it doesn't count. I was trying to demonstrate the importance of grip, balance, and stance to one of our new shooters. I suppose I should have added accuracy, lol.

Tightloop:

I didn't want to mention the time because of my whine two months ago about not being able to run in the two second range. So much for self imposed limitations. Now remember it doesn't count because of the errant hits, it was only 7 yards, and I have not been able to reproduce the time on demand. To be honest, I was in a real aggressive stance and I was having a new shooter watch the pistol lift and return during a lesson on just letting recoil happen. I was manipulating the trigger as quickly as possible but my vision was turned way down. The time was a blistering 1.52 seconds. I hit an awesome draw (for me) of .80 seconds.

In the real world, I have been running fairly close to 2 seconds with all A's most of the time at 10 yards with my open blaster while actually calling the shots and tracking the dot. The draw runs right around 1.2 with splits averaging .16. For now, things fall apart when I try to push it beyond that.

I don't care if one shot was a Mike, that is BLAZING. I have never done it that fast. Best is 1.62, clean. Can pretty consistently turn 1.85 or so, but I don't try to press that number much. There isn't 1-100 that can beat that and I cut it down a notch if I have to shoot it in a match. Just Steady Eddie at 2.1 or so keeps you in there and puts the pressure on the other guy.

Maybe you do better with an audience?