Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

#5 Versus #6 Followers In A Ltd Mag

chp5

I recently pickup up a G35. With my Limited mags with Arrendondo base pads and the #5 followers, the last round in the mag would regularly nose dive into the feed ramp. This occurs in both live fire and when I hand-cycle the slide.

Interestingly, this does not happen with my G22 and the same mags.

I have two Limited mags with the #6 followers. They all feed the last round flawlessly in the G35. My guess is that the #6 follower gets the last round slightly higher than the #5.

BTW – Flex says that the mags with the #6 followers are different than the mags with the #5 followers. I don’t doubt the Flexmeister, but I looked and looked and cannot tell the difference.

YMMV

I too have been having problems with the setup you are discribing. The newer mag bodies have more of a taper to them in my opinion. I am looking to acquire some of the older style mags and using the #5 followers. With that setup I had no problem getting 20 rounds in the mag with out malfunctions. With the new mags and #6 followers and Arrendondo basepads I can't get 20rds in there reliably. If anyone has a good solution to the this setup, please help us! :blink: I am shooting L-10 right now because of this issue and want to return to "Limited regular" instead of staying in "Limited light"! :P

I think Novak makes a +1 follower that might alleviate this problem. You might want to try it. (Note: I have read about them, but still have yet to order some. There doesn't seem to be an on-line ordering system to purchase them.)

I too have been having problems with the setup you are discribing. The newer mag bodies have more of a taper to them in my opinion. I am looking to acquire some of the older style mags and using the #5 followers. With that setup I had no problem getting 20 rounds in the mag with out malfunctions. With the new mags and #6 followers and Arrendondo basepads I can't get 20rds in there reliably. If anyone has a good solution to the this setup, please help us! :blink: I am shooting L-10 right now because of this issue and want to return to "Limited regular" instead of staying in "Limited light"! :P

Rocket - I usually get 18 or 19 reliably. That's all you need. Most S_I mags only get that many.

BTW - I want the newer mags with the #6 followers. I have some like-new #5 follower mags if you want to trade. Drop me a line if you're interested.

BTW – Flex says that the mags with the #6 followers are different than the mags with the #5 followers. I don’t doubt the Flexmeister, but I looked and looked and cannot tell the difference.

YMMV

I recently got some mags with #5 followers...that had the new body style. :(

I have a handful of them...partically new (had them about 2 weeks). I might be up for some swapping out too.

I get jams with those nose-up mags...running mouse-fart minor loads and too much recoil spring.

I think Novak makes a +1 follower that might alleviate this problem. You might want to try it. (Note: I have read about them, but still have yet to order some. There doesn't seem to be an on-line ordering system to purchase them.)

The Novak Handgunner Outlet (NHO) +1 follower weren't any help to me with the new (tapered) mags. I was still down a round in Limited.

With the old mags, I could run them 20+1 if needed (NHO follower, non-tapered mag, Dawson basepad and spring).

I have noticed several guys with widebody 1911s shooting 20 round 140mm mags. I hate the fact on a 20 round stage I would be giving up time to someone else just because mag capacity. <_< I would be interested in trading. I sent ya a pm chp5. ;)

I'll just chime in with my experience, for whatever it's worth. I bought 3 dawson basepads and tried them on all my mags. I've got 2 pre-ban, 2 post ban with #6 followers, and 3 during ban LEO marked mags. I tried the base pads on all the mags to see which had the most capacity and decided on the LEO mags with #5 followers. I got 19+1 with all the LEO mags and only 18+1 with the rest. I've thought about getting a NHO +1 follower for my first mag. (There's a NHO Store link on his website www.novakshandgunneroutlet.com then click on the index button.) Flex, you think I could get 20+1 with the LEO mags?

Edited by splashdown

I am having the same problem, except using the # 6 follower, new style mags,

same base pad extensions.

Just got some # 5's and Novack's new style follower.

Hope to install this weekend, test again and post results.

I also changed recoil spring from 17# to 14#, this helped,

only tried 2 out of 4 mags, limited test.

I've got 10 new mags for my G35 and can only get 19 reliable & reloadable rounds in any of them with Dawson extensions. I did a bit of work on one of the #6 followers, but no joy.

20 rounds fit so tight that I worry about malfunctions on the first shot. It takes major effort to fit a 20 round loaded mag in the gun. There's no way a minor load would cycle the slide against all that tension. Major loads have worked so far, but I'm still not going to start with more than 19+1.

Edited to add:

Just ordered 3 different types of LE mags from CDNN since I have no idea which ones might have the right tube and follower: 3 of the GLO22ZE(used) @$8.99 - 1 of the GLO22ZD(used) @$9.99 - 1 of the GLO22ZLAW(new) @$12.99. I got the feeling that the $8.99 mags were the oldest and most likely to do the trick. If not, then I still have 5 more 15 round mags.

With 15 mags I'll be very inclined to heavily experiment with 1 of them if I still can't get 20+1. At least I'll screw around with the springs and followers. What I've seen with the mags I have tells me the springs will need to lose at least 1 coil, as follower mods have resulted in zero gain.

19+1 isn't really a big deal, but I'm used to having 21+1. My wife will eventually use the Glock and I want to set the gun up as perfectly as possible before she does. I'm only going to shoot it occasionally until then to make sure it functions 100%.

I'll give the Novak +1 follower a try once he has online ordering or Pistolgear.com starts carrying them. I've got a pet peeve where anyone who has a website but doesn't have online ordering or a distributor who does doesn't get my business. I don't really believe it's a follower problem unless Glock made some major changes.

Edited by JFD

Not sure if you guys are looking in the right spot, but it seems that you can order directly off Novak's website. I clicked on NHO Store, then Index, then on the item, then on the checkout button... I've never completed a transaction there, but it appears that he has the capability directly from his site. Check it out...

Perhaps it was a work in progress last time I checked. Will check again. Thanks

The site did appear to have a functioning online store this time, but no +1 followers were listed anywhere that I could find.

Edited by JFD

You can put #6 followers in #5 mag tubes, but they ride funny at the top, and the witness holes will be all screwed up. On the 5 follower mag tubes, the witness hole spacing is even, but the spacing is graduated on the 6 follower mag tubes. There are other subtle changes as well bewteen the tubes.

I've fiddled around with mixing and matching 6 followers with 5 mags, and ended up thinking it's not a great idea.

I've got a handfull of BRAND NEW 5 follower hicap mags, mostly unmarked. I'll sell them to you if you want them. koski88@hotmail.com

Koski

You can put #6 followers in #5 mag tubes, but they ride funny at the top, and the witness holes will be all screwed up. On the 5 follower mag tubes, the witness hole spacing is even, but the spacing is graduated on the 6 follower mag tubes. There are other subtle changes as well bewteen the tubes.

I've fiddled around with mixing and matching 6 followers with 5 mags, and ended up thinking it's not a great idea.

I've got a handfull of BRAND NEW 5 follower hicap mags, mostly unmarked. I'll sell them to you if you want them. koski88@hotmail.com

Koski

Thanks, but I want #6.

I sset my Glock up with Arredondo bottoms and got 20 rds in them easily. I was able to get 21 on a couple. The problem was they never ran right unless downloaded to 18 or 19 rds. I finally gave up on the idea and went back to stock.

Mike

The Novak Handgunner Outlet (NHO) +1 follower weren't any help to me with the new (tapered) mags. I was still down a round in Limited.

With the old mags, I could run them 20+1 if needed (NHO follower, non-tapered mag, Dawson basepad and spring).

Attempting to follow your advice I went ahead and purchased 5 dawson base pads for my mags. They are the newer #6 follower, tapered, .40 mags. I loaded each one up to find out where the capacity was and found all but one of them to reliably take 20 rounds. The one mag+dawson combo would only take 19 rounds. At this point I'm holding off trying out the NHO +1 followers. Just thought I'd give a little feedback on what I'd found out. I'm feeding them with a G35 and using WW White Box ammo.

Kevin