Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Auto Makers

AikiDale

My car is in the shop and I'm in a rental. Some genius at General Motors has decided it would be cute to put the gas filler on the passenger side rather than the driver side on some models. F'ng brilliant! Gridlock at the gas pump was never so easy. :angry:

Ive been drving my Nissan truck for the last 5 years, I still look in the side view mirror every time i get gas to make sure im pulling up to the correct side of the vehicle to get gas.

Over here in Iraq, all military vehicles have the fuel spout on the passenger side. But then again, all you do is pull up to the fuel point and the workers fill you up. Its only a gridlock if there is a 100 vehicle convoy at the fuel point at the same time.

Well .. I always figured that the car manufacturers have some form of clearing house to keep track of this crap so they have roughly equal numbers of cars with both sides being used to ensure that both sides of gas pumps. Of course, I'm sure that the reality has a lot more to do with coin fliping.

The RHS really is the *correct* side. The idea being that if you run out of gas and need to fill up on the side of the road, you will be standing on the opposite side of your car from the traffic.

The nice thing about a Suburban is that the filler door is far enough back that it doesn't matter which side the pump is on.

They should all be on the same side. Two cars come into a self service gas station facing each other at two pumps with a couple of cars behind them. The stop and rob gets gridlocked in no time. If there were a standard traffic would keep moving. We learned this lesson with sailing ships for crying out loud. I don't really care which side it's on as long as they are all the same. Since the environmental wakos tell us 80% of all motor vehicles are occupied by only one person I will assume 80% of those vehicles are occupied by the driver and the gas fill should be on the drivers side.

The RHS really is the *correct* side. The idea being that if you run out of gas and need to fill up on the side of the road, you will be standing on the opposite side of your car from the traffic.

The nice thing about a Suburban is that the filler door is far enough back that it doesn't matter which side the pump is on.

Okay, you posted that while I was composing the missive above. The perfect place is under the license plate in back like the '59 Impala I learned to drive in. :D

Some genius at General Motors has decided it would be cute to put the gas filler on the passenger side rather than the driver side on some models.

This is exactly the reason that I quit GM and went to Work for Toyota two months ago. :D

They ought to put a little arrow under the fuel gauge to let you know which side to fill up on. :unsure:

Buy a Toyota. ;)

My '05 Camry has an arrow under the fuel gauge showing the door is on the proper side, the driver's side of course.

There is no right side or wrong side. Most european cars are on the right now, some were on the left like Volvo. Japanese cars are split, my old Toyota was on the left, my current Subaru is on the right.

But consistency would be a good thing with most of us using self-serve gas stations with multiple pumps. If there were only one pump and 5 guys in uniforms with stars came running out to fill the tank, wipe the windshield, check the tires and oil it wouldn't be a problem. GM cars are split as well, mine is on the left and the rental is on the right.

Standards are such a wonderful thing. I guess that's why there are so many of them....

They ought to put a little arrow under the fuel gauge to let you know which side to fill up on. :unsure:

Buy a Toyota. ;)

My '05 Camry has an arrow under the fuel gauge showing the door is on the proper side, the driver's side of course.

My '99 ford pickup had a similar notation

dj

If you were in Thailand or England or other right hand drive country you might rethink the *correct* side as they think we are the crazy ones. If you get outside the US you might want to rethink the Suburban when you pay a $1.50 or more a litre.

They should all be on the same side. Two cars come into a self service gas station facing each other at two pumps with a couple of cars behind them. The stop and rob gets gridlocked in no time. If there were a standard traffic would keep moving. We learned this lesson with sailing ships for crying out loud. I don't really care which side it's on as long as they are all the same. Since the environmental wakos tell us 80% of all motor vehicles are occupied by only one person I will assume 80% of those vehicles are occupied by the driver and the gas fill should be on the drivers side.

Okay, you posted that while I was composing the missive above. The perfect place is under the license plate in back like the '59 Impala I learned to drive in. :D

My 63 Ford falcon had it back there.... and they had to put a "bend" (kink) in the filler tube to keep it out of the trunk area. Every time you filled, half the gas went down the car and onto the ground. <_<

I just checked my rented Malibu (GM) today and the gas intake is on the passager side, like my Jetta. The gas gauge does have an arrow indicating this.

If you were in Thailand or England or other right hand drive country you might rethink the *correct* side as they think we are the crazy ones. If you get outside the US you might want to rethink the Suburban when you pay a $1.50 or more a litre.

Let's do a little math here. Recently I heard gas in the EU quoted at an average price

of $6 US per gallon. Taxes were quoted at $4.22 US/gallon. Net cost of the gas?

$6 - $4.22 = $1.78

In the US, gas at the time was $3/gal, with a tax average of $0.46/gal

$3 - .46 = $2.54

Looks like we are paying more for the GAS in the US than they are in the EU.

Edit: Need to stay on topic here!! The proper side for the filler is the drivers side. Whichever

side that may be.

Edited by open17

I've been to the UK. I left as quickly as humanly possible. I even tipped the pilot to fly faster.

Luckily most of us don't have the money to buy a Bugatti EB110. It's got a filler door on the left side of the car which goes to the left gas tank to feed the left 6 cylinders. It's got another filler door on the right that goes to the right gas tank that feeds the righ 6 cylinder. The last generation before they went belly up, got a tube that connected the two gas tanks. Before that you would have to fill up one side, drive around the pump to fill up the other side. And the gas gauge only read from one tank.

My 911 has a little knob on the left hand side just underneath the dash. When one pulls that knob, a lid on my left hand fender opens.

This little aid reminds me every time...how to approach a gas station.... :lol:

Prior to the WWW forums taking over there was a "tactics" email list sponsored by now defunct Comtac Training center.

There was quite a hubbub on the list over passenger side gas doors. It was deemed by the group not to be very "tactical" as you could not as easily dive into the car and make an escape during a robbery/mugging as you can when the gas door is on the drivers side.

This was right arond when I bought my Nissan which has a passenger side gas door. I guess it wasn't very tacticool, but I still like my truck.

Ted