Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

45acp 8rd Magazines How Many?

rod m1

I need to buy some 8rd magazines for my 45 and would like to have enough to compete with and not worry about magazines. My question is what’s the minimum amount of magazines you would recommend and what amount do most of you guy’s have in your range bag at a competition? I now you can’t have enough but you get the idea of what I’m looking for.

1 in the gun

1 to top of with

a minimum of 4 on your belt

I would go with a Comp-Tac beltfed mag carrier or a Blade-Tech quad. That would give you 4. I would then back it up with a single or maybe a double mag pouch behind it.

Natchez and Midway both have Chip McCormick 8 round power mags on sale for $16.95.

Depends on yuor club, once in a while.. we have large courses of fire, I think the biggest I've seen was 50+/- rounds.. I want at least 8.

I always figure I'll lose one, to a jam or off the belt, and like they say 'if you're moving, you're reloading', so I may only get 6 (or less) rounds out of a mag.

I don't want to go to a match with any less than 10 single stack mags. Some of the RO's are big 'ol boys and one stomp is all it takes to ruin a mag. I want enough mags in the bag to ruin one on every stage and still be able to finish the match.

Shooting single stack I don't think I would make ready on a field course without 5 on my belt.

I have 25ish quality 8 round mags and over 10 quality 10 round mags, I still watch the classifieds on a couple boards looking for more. You will have an awfully hard time gathering up 'too many' magazines. Magazines are the heart of a good blaster, without them it doesn't matter how good the gun is.

I don't knwo what kind of hobnail-booted ROs you have, but I've stepped on, kicked and otherwise hurled Wilson mags, with naught to show for it except some scratches. That said, I think I've got 40-50 lying around here somewhere.

Those of us with waistlines love the Balde-Tech quad carrier. Without it, I'd be reloading from my right kidney by the end of some stages.

For L-10, Production & now SS Division I like to get 10 mags. Out of 10 mags it seems one will die somehow. 5 on the belt and the rest are backups in case I don't have time or desire to clean the mags I just dropped. I use nothing but Wilson's in my SS guns.

I don't want to stir the pot but I would stay away from the Blade-Tech quad carrier. The BOD has already talked about possible changes for 2007 regarding the DOH & the quad carrier fits in the same category. Neither are something that would normally be worn when carrying the gun in an every day situation. I think there should be limits on accessories & their placement or shooters will create a SS Limited division.

To your original question, I have 14 in the range bag for match use & carry 6 on the belt but my waistline is bigger than most. I also load from a barney mag. I am a personal friend of Mr Murphy's so if a mag hits the ground it goes in the bag for a later cleaning. Tried to clean 1 at the range & had parts everywhere.

I don't want to stir the pot but I would stay away from the Blade-Tech quad carrier. The BOD has already talked about possible changes for 2007 regarding the DOH & the quad carrier fits in the same category. Neither are something that would normally be worn when carrying the gun in an every day situation. I think there should be limits on accessories & their placement or shooters will create a SS Limited division.

For what is worth - I normally don't carry 6 magazines "in a every day stituation" as

required by many COFs. Some people don't have the flexability to reach around

their back to reach the last magazines.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is for gear but we are not replicating "real street"

situations in our COFs. I also don't want 6 rounds COFs.

FWIW

38Stupid

For what is worth - I normally don't carry 6 magazines "in a every day stituation" as

required by many COFs. Some people don't have the flexability to reach around

their back to reach the last magazines.

I don't know what the ultimate answer is for gear but we are not replicating "real street"

situations in our COFs. I also don't want 6 rounds COFs.

FWIW

38Stupid

I am not advocating that we go tactical, I am echoing what has been written about the SPIRIT of Single Stack division; i.e. the original postings about no DOH at the Single Stack Nationals. My everyday gun is an Officers model w/Wilson 7 rd mag in the gun & 2 8 rd on the belt which will change when my gun shop gets my XD45. I'd much rather give up a $500 XD than the $1200 Officer to the police for them to return when they feel like it.

I don't like 6 rd COF's either but I have to drive 180 miles to the nearest match so the higher the round count the better. What I do like is 4 to 5 6 round arrays which evens out L10, Production & revolver. This way the unofficial combined overall shows where you have placed against people with comparable gun capacity. I especially like long range standards since most people in my class don't practice.

I would carry at least 5 on the belt plus the one in the gun. This will get you through almost any stage, but remember, just as many of the top shooters in the sport have said, you can never have enough mags on your belt when the buzzer goes off. Then decide how many you want to carry in your bag as spares if any. Good luck and have fun.