Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My Glock Slide Was Bombproof For 4 Years.......

SouthpawG26

So I've had a G26 for daily concealed carry for 4 years, and in all that time, the finish on the slide has not shown one itty bitty scratch. Then I switched from AGrip to Trugrip 3 weeks ago, and while the grip's purchase is fantastic, as is the quality of the adhesive, some of the grit that the grip sheds, gets trapped in the holster (mostly a problem with polymer (Fobus paddle) and kydex holsters, obviously, and much less with open class holsters), and after a few hundred draws and re-holsterings, the slide has now been nicely strached along the leading edge.....YIKES!!!!!!!! The speed at which this happens is a bit alarming, and I only shudder when I think of the much more expensive guns (cough....STI...cough.....)with much less scratch resistant slide finishes......

Anyone have the same alarming experience after their first dry fire session after adding Trugrip?

Edited by SouthpawG26

I went to Trugrip from regular old skateboard tape. It seems like the Trugrip grit stays put and doesn't fall off. The grit does wear and it gets full of dead skin, but I can't say I have noticed the grit actually shedding.

Have you e-mailed Eric? He is a first class act and he needs to know if there is a problem so he can take corrective measures if required. Do you have some prototype grip G26 grip tape? I see Eric made a post a couple of days ago indicating the G26 and G27 grips aren't even available yet.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

I've got TruGrip on a Glock, multiple 1911s, and on my Para. Never have I seen it "shed". Of course the guns I use a lot are in Ghost and Guga Ribas holsters, so no scratching could happen.

Southpaw,

I don't know if this makes you feel any better, but my G19 looks like crap warmed over. And yeah, it's from loose grit off the grip tape getting into my belt pack and holster. I have no issues with my blued STI, but I use an 012 race holster. If you use grip tape, an open front holster is best. I have very little scratching issues with my G21 and my Uncle Mikes holster. My G19 with my Kramer IWB is another story altogether... But I consider it to be a working gun, so...

If your grips are shedding horrifically, I'm guessing that you may have older grip tape (brown backing) that may be some of the problem. I got sent some bad tape last year and some of it got through inspection and out into the wild. I just had to do a recall on STI grips, much to my chagrin.

Another issue may be the fact that you cut the grips down with a knife or scissors to fit them to your G26. Send me your address and I will send you a replacement pack of grips that are G26 specific. I *should* have them ready to ship this week. Factory cut grips tend not to shed around the edges like scissor cut grips because I do some special processing. One of the processes is washing, scrubbing, then rinsing the grips prior to shipment. This helps clean off any loose grit.

Inevitably a *small* amount of the grit does shed - but even a little grit can make ugly scratches. One thing you can do is use a black industrial "toothbrush" ($.99 at Harbor Freight) to scrub the grips down after you apply them to the gun. Typically, you lose some grit at first, then it pretty much stops shedding, although a few pieces are inevitably going to come off over time and use.

My apologies if I inadvertently mis-represented the product. One of my features was "does not shed like cheap grip tape" which probably is misleading and I'll correct that on the website. If replacing the grips is unsatisfactory, please call me tomorrow and we can make some alternate arrangements. Your satisfaction is my #1 priority.

Best Regards,

Eric Wesselman

===============================

P.S.

When I was first talking about "shedding," I was referring to the phenomenon where every time you touch the grip, you come back with grit on your hand. This is the problem with assuming that everyone else just knows what you "mean."

Anyway, please do let me take care of you one way or another.

E

Edited by EricW

If your Glocks don't have scraps and scratches, then you're not shooting them enough or running them hard enough. :D

A gunsmith once told me that my Glocks look like someone dragged them behing a truck. But they work!

EricW:

The new package of grip tape you sent me for the STI doesn't seem to lose the grit. Maybe you better send me another five pack so I can be sure? :)

Hell no! If I do that, you'll ripping off 2.0 Bang and Clang's - quashing any hope I ever have of getting my D card. :P:lol:

Hi Eric,

My post is in no way intended to criticize your great product, it provides the best grip enhancement for a Glock by far, IMHO, after years of trying everything that’s available. Also, the tape quality is excellent and only sheds a miniscule amount of grit, which is something that by nature will happen with any grip tape. The few particles that do get shed however , get trapped within my Fobus Rotopaddle, hence the scratches. (I did get the new Negative One tape, by the way) Again, it’s probably inherent to the use of any grip tape in combination with a closed polymer/kydex holster.

Regarding the use of G26 specific tape, I appreciate the offer Eric, but here’s why I use the G17 model (btw: scratches are mostly on the other side):

TrugripG26short.jpg

TrugripG26long.jpg

I shoot IPSC (standard division) with my little G26 (I still get a laugh from the fellow shooters now and then), with G17 mags, +4 Arredondo’s and A&G grip extenders. So what I did is cut the G17 tape pieces just between the 2nd and 3rd finger grooves, and put the bottom portion on the magazines. It actually works great. I carry the gun daily with a Pearce +1 in a Galco pocket holster (horsehide), with no scratching occurring.

Edited by SouthpawG26

Southpaw,

The G26 specific grips will fit better and have more complete coverage, but if you're happy, I'm happy. The offer still stands if you change your mind.

All I know is that's the nicest 4 yo carry gun I've ever seen. If there's a prize for good gun hygiene, you win hands down. ;) I don't have the discipline to keep anything looking that good for so long.

E

HAd same thing happen to my 23C carried in a Blackhawk SERPA :(

Will still use the tru-grip on my new OD 22, but will be much more carefull to brush off first and check holster carefully for awhile till everything gets settled

Smooth Kydex will strip the blue right off of steel without any additional grit, especially where you drag the gun against one side or the other on the draw. But it's fast.

Oh oh, he hasn't taken the pretravel out of that 26.;)

Yep, but overtravel was eliminated (Lone Wolf trigger housing). Ralph's trigger bar, skeletonized striker, marine cups and some other little tinkerings, 1.75lbs trigger pull. Yes, and I DO carry with that trigger. :o:o

SouthpawG26,

Why wouldn't you carry with that trigger? I trust you with that trigger a heck of a lot more than the usual law enforcement ilk most of us put up with.

Sounds like your mods have been helpful.

Liota