Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Economical Ammo For My Glock 35

RangerE32

I went to a gun show yesterday and buckled under the pressure of seeing a barely-used Glock 35 at a good price. So I ended up blowing my tax return before I even got it back :wacko:

I am new to competitive shooting and intend to use this gun for IPSC Limited class. I already use my Sig P226 9mm for Production. However, I do not reload yet and need to find a source of ammo that won't break the bank. I saw some deals on ammo at the show and was wondering what you guys know about the following 2 brands:

1) Miwall- $99.95/ 1000rds 180 gr TMJ- My understanding is that this stuff 'barely' makes major, and you can't count on it to do so if you show up at a match that is checking for this.

2)HSM- $106/ 1000rds 180 gr FMJ, labelled "Police Ammunition". These guys are outta Stevensville, MT and package their ammo in a bright orange box. My understanding is that the police in my area use it as practice ammo.

I am primarily going to use the ammo as practice ammo, but would hope these would also make Major? I am a newbie and only participate in local matches, so it probably wouldn't be too critical at this point. Any problems with reliability for these brands? Is there a better place on this forum to post ammo questions? Just want to make an informed decision before I drop more cash on a case or two. Thanks.

At those prices, if they make major and are accurate enough, go for it. You can't reload for that cheap (especially if you include time). With the availability of bulk .40 ammo now from a bunch of sources, if you're shooting a Glock, it's almost not worthwhile to reload 9mm or .40.

Just my opinion though.

SPC (P) Richard A. White, Senior Medic

249th MP Detachment (EACF)

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Not sure I agree with some of those statements. I figure it costs me less than $70 to reload .40. Reloaders never figure their time into the cost.

If you use lead bullets for practice then the cost drops to under $40 per 1,000.

The other thing you have not figured into the cost is the freight.

Well my time is why I have use a 1050's instead of a Rock Chucker. So to say that "reloaders" don't factor their time, is incorrect.

Practicality is a function of time. And if $20-30 means I (meaning someone in the above case) don't need to buy reloading equipment and can pick up 2-3k rounds every other month at a gun show (where the price would significantly drop if I pre-placed that order and there's no "freight" since I'm already at the show) then it's a very viable option.

Throw in no need to police, clean, prep etc. brass and you've got a good thing...given the ammo performs in his Glock.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

In this case, there would be no freight because I would be buying it locally before the gun show ends today. I would like to get into reloading at some point, but it is just not feasible at this time. I think the HSM ammo is avilable at the local Cabela's, but not for as cheap as at the show.

I used to use miwall in .40 before I got a press. The stuff is ok, generally does not make major, and you must chamber check each round before using them in a match that you care about! I use their 9mm with good results. I think their prices have gone up $10-20 per k though.

I have shot over 5K of Miwall .40 with no problems, I use them in local matches and practice. For an imprtant match that I have to make major I would go with something else probably just to make sure but for everyday and local match use it is great. Found it last year and have not been shooting anything else.

I guess I'll have to give Miwall a try. I think I will do as you do, and use different ammo for an important match though. Since it's a Glock, my guess is that it will eat just about anything you feed it. Thanks.

I guess I'll have to give Miwall a try. I think I will do as you do, and use different ammo for an important match though. Since it's a Glock, my guess is that it will eat just about anything you feed it. Thanks.

I cant seem to find ammo much cheaper than the Wal- Mart Value packs. I hate not supporting local gun shops or ammo dealers,but Wally World has it cheap. I get 100 rnds 9mm Winchester for a little less than $12.00. That is pretty good in my book and the Winchester ammo works good for me. My wife on the other hand hates the Winchester ammo for her .40. its a bit hot for her. Any suggestions on a good .40 ammo that will just make power factor? She needs something lighter and Im not yet set to reload.

Thanks in advance A-55522

Trey Small

Edited by Trey1975

Joe D I'm with you on this one. Man if you can't beat retail on 40S&W by reloading then you're paying too much for components and I shoot FMJ bullets. For the record I don't factor time into reloading because it's too big a variable. My savings is more than half retail and for that savings I'll reload 40's.

Not to mention I enjoy reloading (most of the time) and you can customize your ammo.

Well that's my story and I'm stick'n to it.

Edited by rwmagnus

Tried 100 rounds each of Miwall and HSM today on the initial trip to the range for my "new" Glock 35. The new blaster functioned flawlessly with both brands of ammo...with no FTF or FTE. The HSM felt a little "hotter" than the Miwall. For the price, I would go with either one. I was impressed at the accuracy of the 35. I started at 7 yards and shot one ragged hole with 15 shots. Unfortunately, when I increased it to 15 yards, I was all over the paper (mostly high and to the right). I think the grip angle is going to take some getting used to...coming off of shooting Sigs. The stock sights gotta go!

Thread drift/semi-rant

So we suggest he use a brand of ammo to shoot "major" that doesn't make major pf for local matches but use a different brand that does make major for bigger matches?

I can see the recommendation for practice ammo, but not for match (local or bigger). Why is it okay to use non-major ammo if you are declaring major in your shooting? If it doesn't make major, you are shooting minor - regardless of the type of match.

I believe I will go with HSM. It's only a little more expensive. Since it feels hotter than Miwall (which is claimed to barely make major), then I should not have a problem. Guys, I am just looking for some cheap ammo for my gun until I can begin reloading. I know this is inevitable once you catch the competition 'bug'. Whatever I use, I could stand to use a lot of practice.

FWIW, I don't factor too much time into the "cost" of my reloading. I do it, and love it, as it's part of what we do as shooters.

The point that I was trying to express is for someone that doesn't have any reloading equipment, and is using a pistol that doesn't need long loaded .40, buying the ammo cited is a great option until he gets a reloading platform set up.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

FWIW, I don't factor too much time into the "cost" of my reloading. I do it, and love it, as it's part of what we do as shooters.

The point that I was trying to express is for someone that doesn't have any reloading equipment, and is using a pistol that doesn't need long loaded .40, buying the ammo cited is a great option until he gets a reloading platform set up.

Camp Humphreys, ROK

Point well taken and it's a good one Doc.

Semper Fi

Ranger et al, I just got done setting up my G24 for limited, and have been using UMC 180 gr FMJ's that you can pick up in a 250 pack for about $42 (Sportsman Warehouse is where I get it from). It shoots scarry accurate, and soft. I haven't chrono'ed it yet, but am pretty sure it will make Major. I will post the chrono results when I get around to mooching one from someone for a second. UMC was a just a little more dirty, but hey, its a Glock and the gain was worth the residue.

BTW, I tried WWB 180 FMJ's and they recoiled substancially more than the UMC, and was less accurate.

Edited by SA Friday

Thanks for the word on the HSM. Was beginning to think that nobody had heard of them. I have used a lot of WWB in the past...may have to give the UMC a try if it is as 'soft' as you say. I could use the options, as I am about to make a 2600 mile move. Thanks.

Vluc, please dont take my previous post as trying to cheat the system here. My point was that MiWall normally always makes major, in fact I have yet to have it not, my point is that if you are gonna go spend $200 bucks plus on a major match I would hate to depend on someone else's reload and you get that bad set of ammo that isn't hot enough and risk a DQ, etc. For those of us that can't reload its worth putting your faith in a major manufacturer on new ammo for that big match but for practice and local matches it worth the risk not making it for the overall cost of the ammo. Risk vs. reward

Vluc, please dont take my previous post as trying to cheat the system here. My point was that MiWall normally always makes major, in fact I have yet to have it not, my point is that if you are gonna go spend $200 bucks plus on a major match I would hate to depend on someone else's reload and you get that bad set of ammo that isn't hot enough and risk a DQ, etc. For those of us that can't reload its worth putting your faith in a major manufacturer on new ammo for that big match but for practice and local matches it worth the risk not making it for the overall cost of the ammo. Risk vs. reward

No worries...I get what you were trying to say ;) .

no problem! :D

you guys have all the luck.Reloading not allowed by law yet and any .40 ammo costs

$40 per 100 YES per 100. :(:angry:

Bryan,

Any chance that the law is going to be changed? Because at those prices I could only afford to shoot about 3 matches a year!!!