Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Custom 1911

packed

How much do you want to pay and how long do you want to wait?

Check out the dealer forum. here

You question is pretty vague because there are so many good smiths out there.

oops, Merlin beat me to the post.

Edited by Loves2Shoot

A lot of different gunsmiths can do waht you are asking. Where are you located? How much do you want to spend? HOW long do you want to wait?

spending limit about 2200.00 I am in Reno Nevada. Would like to only wait 8 weeks but don't know if that is possible? Just want someone with a good name for building guns. thank you.

Edited by packed

In Reno area..

Gene Shuey, Johnny Lim and Terry Tussey ( not sure about health problems...)

down in AZ..lots too..Matt McLearn, Chuck Rogers, Ted Yost are a few...

otherwise...

good choices....George Smith, Bennie Hill, Derek Janowicz, Jim Garthwaite, John Harrison, Stan Chen, CT Brian, etc..

Eight weeks will be tough with some shops..but keep calling...

Buy a Glock and go shoot while you decide and wait. :)
Sorry pal I would never buy a Glock they hurt my hands after 6 shots my post is stateing that I am looking for a custom builder for a 1911. not an erogonamic piece of plastic.

Packed,

With all due respect dial back the "sorry pal's" you are speaking to not only one of the most respected members of this sight, but a gentleman who has become a GM with said piece of "ergonomic plastic". His statement was somewhat tongue in cheek indicating that not many smiths with a national level reputation have wait times anywhere near 8 weeks for a full house custom doublestack.

Your question does not give much to go on with respect to your needs. As has been stated there are more than a few smith's who can help you out.

The best option is to read a little more in the limited guns forum and do a few searches. I will guarantee you will find more info than you need.

Edited by smokshwn

Packed,

With all due respect dial back the "sorry pal's" you are speaking to not only one of the most respected members of this sight, but a gentleman who has become a GM with said piece of "ergonomic plastic". His statement was somewhat tongue in cheek indicating that not many smiths with a national level reputation have wait times anywhere near 8 weeks for a full house custom doublestack.

Your question does not give much to go on with respect to your needs. As has been stated there are more than a few smith's who can help you out.

The best option is to read a little more in the limited guns forum and do a few searches. I will guarantee you will find more info than you need.

I hear you it is all good just kinda can errotate you when I was clear enough about a custom 1911 STI frame double stack, and how I would like to only wait eight weeks. But also stated I don't know if that is possible. how much clearer do I need to be? Help me to understand where I mislead a couple of you so that it will not happen again. I already own other guns and did not ask for help on a clock. :blink:

Edited by packed

Packed,

Simply a factor of your lack of knowledge about all the options involved in having a custom pistol built. Given that your question had no parameters for what you wanted from the gun indicates that you have a lot of work to do to educate yourself about those options and which ones would work best for you. ie

short or long dustcover

bushing or bull barrel

traditional slide or slide tracker style

what trigger parts do you prefer

what trigger parts does the smith you choose like to work with

what aspect of the sport are you shooting with this gun

Do you want a smith close to you (I live in Ut my gun was built in NY)

Do you want the basic no frills workhorse of a Benny Hill (shorter wait time) or the incredible attention to detail of Bob Londrigan (not so short wait time)

etc.etc.etc.

In not specifying this info it idicated to the folks that you should use the search feature and doing so will not only educate you to the options available but start to give you some idea of the smith's who are out there.

Flex was simply ribbing you to keep shooting during the time you will take to learn about these decisions it had nothing to do with changing your mind on a gun decision. If you stick around this board you will find that there is absolutely none of the BS that goes on with other boards. Folks here simply want to shoot better and faster and most of the chat here is directly to that end.

Good luck, Craig

Packed,

I hear you it is all good just kinda can errotate you when I was clear enough about a custom 1911 STI frame double stack, and how I would like to only wait eight weeks. But also stated I don't know if that is possible. how much clearer do I need to be? Help me to understand where I mislead a couple of you so that it will not happen again. I already own other guns and did not ask for help on a clock. :blink:

For the record, you can probably get anything you want by Friday if you are willing to pay enough money. You have a number of suggestions for gunsmiths, you have to do a little work. call them and ask for the gun you want, and see what their workloads are like.

Apply cash as necessary and you can probably shorten the lead times, at least with some people you can.

All we can do is suggest competent smiths, we can't quote times or take orders for them.

Flex was simply ribbing you to keep shooting during the time you will take to learn about these decisions it had nothing to do with changing your mind on a gun decision. If you stick around this board you will find that there is absolutely none of the BS that goes on with other boards. Folks here simply want to shoot better and faster and most of the chat here is directly to that end.

Good luck, Craig

Thanks Craig. You were dead on.

Jerry, we don't get into a lot of the normal BS you likely find on other forums. The Glock vs. 1911 vs. whatever stuff that you see around here is pretty much reserved to good natured ribbing among guys/gals that know each other some. ;)

I should have clarified a bit it seems. I was suggesting to get a gun and go shoot some while you figure out what/who you want to go with. The Glock part of that was just to suggest a cheap, off the shelf, gun.

Glad to hear that you already have some alternatives that will let you get right out there and be active in the game. The shooters at your local matches are often a good source of who makes what in your area.

Packed,

Simply a factor of your lack of knowledge about all the options involved in having a custom pistol built. Given that your question had no parameters for what you wanted from the gun indicates that you have a lot of work to do to educate yourself about those options and which ones would work best for you. ie

short or long dustcover

bushing or bull barrel

traditional slide or slide tracker style

what trigger parts do you prefer

what trigger parts does the smith you choose like to work with

what aspect of the sport are you shooting with this gun

Do you want a smith close to you (I live in Ut my gun was built in NY)

Do you want the basic no frills workhorse of a Benny Hill (shorter wait time) or the incredible attention to detail of Bob Londrigan (not so short wait time)

etc.etc.etc.

In not specifying this info it idicated to the folks that you should use the search feature and doing so will not only educate you to the options available but start to give you some idea of the smith's who are out there.

Good luck, Craig

I hear you I don't know much! I shall learn I suppose. I hoped in the smith to help me out there. But rubbing me with a Glock I did not see it that way sorry if I did not understand your kind of lingo don't care to either. Straight forward talking I understand. I shall try to get more educated on the 1911 that is. Thanks for all.

Edited by packed

Packed-

I have read the posts in this thread to some amusement. You are indeed in a little predicament. Most custom 'smiths require some lead time to build and test their work. It doesn't happen overnight. These are not "run-of-the-mill" rush jobs. Every job is done to the customers specifications as to specific components and ergonomics. Many reputable 'smiths keep a supply of top of the line parts in stock, but sometimes it will take some waiting to get a specificaly requested part that is in high demand. Nobody wants to wait, especially the 'smith, as he wants you happy/content and out there enjoying yourself and "promoting" his work. There is no percentage in a 'smith making you wait unnecessarily. But the fact that you are specifically insisting in a custom made gun tells me that you know exactly what you want in your dream gun and are willing to wait some, otherwise you would have (or already have) bought an off the shelf factory quasi-custom gun that just won't do for you. Of course it would be nice if you could get it done ASAP. :D

There are some good custom 'smiths in your neck of the woods. Locally promoting your home-town 'smithies can do a lot for them and for yourself, especially for follow-up adjustments if needed. Otherwise, perhaps you expected one of the 'smiths that post here to directly approach you in a post, but that is not considered good manners and forbidden by forum guidelines. Besides most custom pistolsmiths hate to directly solicit work, and would rather have a tooth pulled by a string and a door. They much rather have you initiate the contact. You have already gotten some suggestions by some posters here who have their favorites, regardless of their geographical location. After all once you decide to go out of State it doesn't really matter where the 'smith is located, just the quality of his work.

My suggestion would be for you to visit some web-sites if available, send some PM's or e-mails or make some phone calls. You know, shake the tree, and see what falls in your hands. ;) Your timetable may not be as unreasonable as some say, depending on your specific request, of course.