Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

1911 Grip Angle And Mainspring Housing

Pittbug

The 5" Kimber I shoot for IDPA has a flat MSH. When I close my eyes, raise the gun up to where I think I'm pointing at the target then open my eyes, I can't see the front sight, it's too low. If I installed one of those MSH with the bump, would that help at all? Or should I just keep practising to adjust my wrist angle so it's right?

thanks

Looks like a good candidate for a Glock. ;) I use a flat MSH because the arched housing makes the gun point a bit high. I know folks harp on not tinkering with gear when the solution is to develop proper technique, but in this case, if a simple change in ergonomics would make the gun more shootable, why not?

Ron: Actually, when I do the same exercise with a Springfield XD, it's absolutely perfect. I put about 20 rounds through a G21, but didn't try the eyes closed pointing exercise.

Arched MSH will raise it some , If you can find an Ed Brown Wedge MSH that's even more of an improvement for me.

I had to round the corners of the Wedge MSH to make it comfortable .

Then, I bought a Glock...

Travis F.

Before you swap out parts or go over to the Black plastic fantastic Side... try training your muscle memory a little harder before using the Force again on your draw. :ph34r:

Perfect practice makes perfect.

The beauty of a 1911 is its natural pointing. The beauty of natural pointing is that the gun points where you point. The beauty of a gun pointing where you point is that you’re more likely to hit the target. Another beautiful thing about a 1911 is that you can change the grip angle (read – natural pointing angle) by changing to a different design of the mainspring housing. I vote for changing the mainspring housing if it makes the gun point where you point.

Why force yourself to do something that is not natural? Why distort your natural pointing angle? Change the mainspring housing.

• 2 weeks later...

My gun points low for me with the Flat MSH but I have small hands and the Arched MHS didn't feel as comfortable. My solution was kind of getto. I built up layers of double stick tape (the foam 3M stuff) on the Flat MSH until the gun felt comfortable then covered it with skateboard tape that tucks in under the grip. It sits somewhere in between, I was able to put a bulge right where my hand wanted it. My idea was to eventually by a cheap Arched one and grind it down to this shape, but I never got around to it.

Maybe it would work for you to see how it feels before swapping the MSH out. You could shoot it for a while and reduce the hump gradually as you get used to it. Kind of like a smokers patch!

Edited by ArnisAndyz

The original post was about the SS 1911 but have to say that I've noticed a huge point difference [higher than anyone else's 1911] with my STI's ZM Wedge mainspring housing. Never seen one set up like mine with the Wedge, the Ice magwell, and a stock unmolested triggerguard. They all help.

Don't know if you can find a SS magwell that supports the hand like the Ice does for double-stack guns, but you can do yourself the favor of NOT undercutting the triggerguard where your stronghand's middle finger goes. You can also try the Wedge [rather than arched] in stainless steel & if it's too much of a good thing you can, as they mention above, grind off some of the wedge.

I know there are people who aren't bothered by different point angles, they switch from Sig to Glock without a hiccup, but many of us can notice a difference. At the State match, Smitty told me he picked up a factory STI and could see the point change from his guns which all have some undercutting.

You can balance out some of the undercutting effect by high-gripping the back of the gun at the grip-safety area. BUT you will run out of room quickly at the thumb safety pin-hole location. And if your gun is plated, well, never mind. If it's blued you can look at pictures of Dan Bedell's guns or any of Todd Jarrett's guns. That's as high as it gets, also helps to stop your thumb from pushing the muzzle to the left.

I think the reason why my Open STI points up nearly to a Glock angle is the combination - no undercuttting, wedge housing, and Ice magwell. Closest I've seen is Leo's 9x25 with arched housing & a little undercutting, and Chad's limited 40 with Ice, arched and no undercutting. Mine goes way higher than either of those.

Also while I was pondering the Open gun purchase I found a little trick for pointing up a gun whose angle you cannot change. Works better than just bending the strong arm's elbow a lot which is how I did it for years with the TZ guns. Hard to put in words so if you see me at a match just ask or PM if you're curious.

Edited by eric nielsen

• 2 weeks later...
The 5" Kimber I shoot for IDPA has a flat MSH. When I close my eyes, raise the gun up to where I think I'm pointing at the target then open my eyes, I can't see the front sight, it's too low. If I installed one of those MSH with the bump, would that help at all? Or should I just keep practising to adjust my wrist angle so it's right?

thanks

arched mainspring housing made a WORLD of difference for me in the usability of my 1911. Worth every penny I spent on it.

[edit]

and yeah, it did result in a more natural point of aim and a decrease in dipping the front sight.

Edited by raz-0

1911's originaly had flat mainspring housing, they changed to arched with the 1911A1. This was to improve the low pointing some soldiers experienced. The mostly shot from the hip unaimed and the arched housing improved this. Since that time you've seen both kinds, I've used both at different times in my carreer, I found my draws are smoother with the flat so i've stuck with it. Nothing wrong with experimenting, i may give the arched another round since holsters are just a tad better than they were in 1982.

• 2 years later...

I just bought an arched one to try out. I don't really think my NPA was necessarily low (but then again maybe I was subconsiouly adjusting) Either way, I shot glocks for a while and kind of got used to the hump. The nice thing about it is that, as part changes go, this one is cheap and simple to try and then go back if it doesn't work out.