Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Did I miss Something?

Seems like the number of posts occuring on the board have exploded lately. I used to log in every morning and there would be around 3 or 4 pages of new posts. Now that is approaching 7 or 8 and seems to be growing. Its getting to where I can't read them all over my morning coffee at work anymore :)

Steven

I open this thread thinking it was a discussion about what to do after an explosion.

Boy, I was way off. :blink:

I can give ya some info on that as well. You want effects of HMX,Tritonal,PBXN what info you need.

You just need to tell me how close to the explosion you might be because depending on the radii your options change significantly :o LOL

Edited by standles

"I can give ya some info on that as well. You want effects of HMX,Tritonal,PBXN what info you need."

Thread drifting mode on:

Speaking of PBXN, anyone hear any additional speculation that the NO levies were purposely blown?

One other question. I used to have a DuPont handbook that described "the largest non-nuclear explosion" ever set off. An ANFO shot at a mine somewhere? Anyone have that?

David C

Edited by geezer-lock

One other question. I used to have a DuPont handbook that described "the largest non-nuclear explosion" ever set off. An ANFO shot at a mine somewhere? Anyone have that?

At the time, it was "Minor Scale", 1985 (at least it was billed as the largest intentional, free-world, non-nuke at the time)

A weeks worth of dump trucks piling ANFO out at White Sands to test some things they really wanted to nuke but couldn't above ground.

I was tangentially involved and got to see some of the slow-mo video.. very cool, especially the desert buzzards many miles out.. flapping along peacefully while there's a huge explosion growing in the background.. then the shockwave gets there and they instantly convert into a ball of feathers and zoom directly overhead at warp speed. Reportedly most of them survived the trip.

Update: wow the internet is cool. Typed 'Minor Scale' into Google.

Minor_Scale_test_explosion.jpg

btw, I'm not sure this is the main shot; that looked much more massive to me. Here's the 'before' picture

Wikipedia List_of_the_largest_artificial_non-nuclear_explosions

I've got a 1954 DuPont Blaster's Handbook - Sesquicentennial Edition, but I don't think the 4 million lb shot is in here. Man that's a lot of powder. The largest shot I was involved with was around 235,000 lbs. That was in our limestone quarry in Miami, the largest in the US. The largest shot they ever set off was 325,000 lbs.

I log on every 5 minutes so I guess I haven't noticed....

Hi, my name is Matt and I'm addicted to BE.com

Hey Matt I missed that last meeting of the Benosverse addicts. Make sure you give a swift kick if I miss another one.

BTW our meetings are held in a small seminar room on the Mi/Oh border in between the Pearl Vision( to help us with our vision problems from looking at the screens to much) and the local wrist doctor(to help us deal with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome). It works out really nice.

Everyones welcome, no one turned away

Flyin40

Edited by Flyin40

opened this thread thinking it was a discussion about what to do after an explosion.

Boy, I was way off.

You were way ahead of me Big-bad. I expected to see a jpeg of John Dunn busting a fence post in half with his .50 cal.

BTW, you were right, the thread did end up being about explosions after all! B)

Yeh, I noticed this a few weeks ago... and I'm in an' out of this forum a few times a day, usually. But if I go away for a mere 24 hours, suddenly there are at least five or six pages I have to wade through... or they just keep piling up!! Madness.

There were 1,265 members when I joined. Like, how many THOUSANDS of members did we pick up just this past year...???!!! Madness. Or Success--whichever. ;) Go team!