Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Best Surplus / Bulk 223?

EricW

What bulk and/or surplus 223 have you bought lately that will actually shoot? And where did you get it, if I may be sold bold as to ask?

I *was* buying Remmy 223 LE ammo for $180/K that shot 1.5 - 2 MOA. Well...now...my shotgun patterns tighter at 100 than that ammo.

:(

Eric...a buddy started shooting the Ultramax .223, says it is working well for him. The 55 grain fmj is about $210 plus shipping, the 55 grain BT is about $17 per 50. These prices are from Jerry's Sport Center (you need a dealer friend to order it).

Try some 62gr Wolf. The new polymer stuff is pretty good. It seems that some guns like it more then others, but my 16" shoots about 2MOA and it makes 160pf. For the range I shoot it at, thats about perfect.

+1 on the MiWall. I have been shootin that stuff in hangun and rifle with good results, yet to have a bad round. I don't have the luxury of a reloader yet so until I do I am gonna be shootin MiWall.

Georgia Arms sells re-man .223 that is loaded (supposedly, I don't really care, but I'm told) to XM193 spec. I shot a mag worth at 50 and it was putting one round on top of the other out of my 20" Clark at 50 yds and I wasn't even trying to shoot a group. A group at our local CC did a bulk buy and got for $150/K. YMMV

Georgia Arms sells re-man .223 that is loaded (supposedly, I don't really care, but I'm told) to XM193 spec. I shot a mag worth at 50 and it was putting one round on top of the other out of my 20" Clark at 50 yds and I wasn't even trying to shoot a group. A group at our local CC did a bulk buy and got for $150/K. YMMV

I shoot the GA Arms stuff sometimes. It's nowhere near as hot as XM193. Decent accuracy and good price, though. I barely made Minor with it at the 2004 A6 3 Gun with a 16" barrel.

I've had a couple of rounds with no primers - so visually inspect the rounds in matches.

Hey Dave- Is that the Canned Heat stuff that they advertise?

don't forget your local wal-mart. they sell winchester 55 grain white box usa ammo in a 40 pack for 7.73 a box, that's 19 cents a round, right down the street. no shipping, handling, etc. it's not surplue or bulk, but still reasonable, if you're just looking for something to shoot.

Hey Dave- Is that the Canned Heat stuff that they advertise?

I believe it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Eric -

I have found XM193 to be decent - but not great. For 100 yards and closer - the ammo is more than accurate enough for the 3 gun game. Past 100 yards, groups opened up considerably. I have been shooting the XM193 on the closer "hoser" style stages and using a few mags of 55g ballistic tip that hit to the same poi for the longer shots.

Zach

• 1 month later...

Academy sports has a new line of ammo made by Monarch in Serbia. The .223 was $2.86 per box of 20 and it had a steel case. The brass case ammo was $1.00 more. I tried a couple of boxes and it all worked reliably in my rifle. It was not as accurate as the WWB ammo but it will be sufficient for practice.