Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Anyone Ever Shoot The Sw99 / Walther P99?

chp5

Has anyone ever shoot the S&W SW99 or Walther P99?

I've never even seen one in a store. They look intereting, but the fact that I've never seen one at a match might be telling.

Just wondering . . .

Kevin [you'll find him in the Glock forum] has to carry the Walther as his dept. gun. He does not shoot it in matches. Might send him a msg & ask - I know the Walther's trigger is a bear, for one thing. [Clearwater FL Police have the DAO version]

Edited by eric nielsen

Thanks guys.

I figured there must be issues.

If Glock would just jump on the "removable backstrap" bandwagon (a la S&W M&P and the Walther P99), I think they would kill the up-and-coming striker pistols in the marketplace.

I have both the 9mm and 40 version Walthers. There not for IPSC. I have used my 40 for IDPA.

I like them as a carry gun, for me they are full size compact.

!st shoot is hvy, but not the second. The mag release is not the best either.

I had the SW99 40 several years ago, and had several malfunctions with the pistol. I don't recall exactly what the problems were as it was a number of years back. I recall not wanting to keep it due to the reliability issues. I then went with the Walther P99 (yes I know Walther is in bed with S&W). While I didn't have reliability issues with the P99, I didn't care for the P99. It felt jumpy in my hands, and it was just not much fun to shoot. Having said that, I never did shoot the 9mm version which I can only assume would have less felt recoil. I opted to trade my gun in and I don't miss it.

• 2 months later...

Guess what guns I shoot?

I have a P99 in 9mm with the "normal" DA / SA trigger, what Walther now calls the Anti-Stress trigger. The DA pull is long and tuff. The SA is smoother, but not perfect. I also have a P99 in 40, with the "Quick Action" Glock-like trigger. It is not fun to shoot, and is difficult to shoot well.

One good thing about the 9mm with the traditional trigger is that the trigger resent is very short, comparable with that of a 1911. The bad side is that there is a lot of prep in the trigger in SA.

I shoot IDPA with it and do decent (sharpshooter). My 9mm has been extremely reliable; I can count on 1 hand the number of times it malfunctioned, after owning and regularly shooting the gun for over 4 years.

+ 1 on what most here said. Jumpy, not very accurate, crappy sights, bad trigger, no aftermarket parts and only 16+1 (for those who shoot international IPSC Production with it).

They look very cool though! B);)

I'm clearly in the minority, but I have nothing but good things to say about my P99's. I use the P99C as my daily carry gun. My full size P99 is a dream to shoot and extremely accurate. The reset on the SA trigger is short and easy to manage. Muzzle flip on the full size is pretty minimal, more noticeable on the compact.

As far as the mag release, it's a matter of training. Lots of people can't get their mind around a release that's different -- so they never warm up to it.

Lack of aftermarket accesories is about the only thing I could knock. Otherwise, it's a very accurate, reliable and comfortable pistol.

Jim

As far as the mag release, it's a matter of training. Lots of people can't get their mind around a release that's different -- so they never warm up to it.

I have to admit that Walther/H&K type mag releases are definataly effective. Chances of dropping a mag when you don't want it (table pickups etc.) are very very small.

One of my female officers bought a SW99 in .40SW. It kept jamming on her. I took it to the range with her and various ammo. She is a combat veteran and can shoot, period. She could not get the gun to run in her hands. I could run plate racks with it and could not get it to jam, even trying the one handed tricks that will jam a glock up. Nothing.

She shoots our Duty Sig P229 well, and also shoots glocks and 1911s with no problem, but the SW99 pukes in her hands every time.......Needless to say it is gone....

DougC

Have to agree with Navy87Guy... I have two P99s (9mm and .40) and both are excellent, both accurate and highly reliable. They handle and point great, and I had no trouble finding night sights and holsters. Just can't relate to the other comments here... both of my guns are Walthers (not the pos SW99s). They've been shot in IDPA and have served me well... wouldn't use them for USPSA Production as a G34 is a so much better choice

Always thought that the mag release design was a great idea (with proper training), as the best way for me to release a mag was with my trigger finger... using this technique, you can never have your finger on the trigger during a reload (always a good idea).

Yes, I do have 3rd Gen S&W pistols and have found them to be reliable, if a little clunky. Have a Sigma, too, and consider it a monsterous piece of crap. Have handled and shot the M&P .40 and consider it to be only slightly better than a Sigma... and certainly not worth all the attention it is getting.

Just goes to show you that everybody can see things differently, reaching totally different conclusions about the same piece of hardware. What a country... you pay your money and you make your choice... Good luck.

WRanger

• 3 years later...

I ran across this thread while searching to see if others use a Walther P99. I started a couple of years ago with one. I carry the FS as my CCW and like it. No problems with the trigger or mag release here. No gun related failures. A couple that were caused by ammo though. I changed the sights to the XS Big Dots and didn't care for them with USPCA shooting. Ended up switching to a 1911 and have stayed.

I have a 2003, German made P99. It is a great gun!!! Shoots very fast bursts, very accurate, always shoots, no problem as concealed carry gun. I can shoot 4 rounds when my IDPA competitors can only shoot two. It is regrettably for sale. I ordered a M&P9 Pro for IDPA and USPSA. Hope I like it as well!! Can't afford both. I may regret this.

Fairly sure S&W discontinued theirs. Only the German guns remain. Thought James Bond had made the switch? (that surely helped sales).

Don't see them very often 'round here (D.C. area) though they are out there.

I shoot an M&P, a 75 or an old Glock these days.

I test fired the DAO version back around 2002 and liked it except for two things. This was a range gun that had a lot of rounds through it so I expected that the trigger would have been somewhat broken in, well if that was what it was like after breaking in, I didn't want a new one. Same for the mag release - very difficult to use.

This was before the newer (glock type) action was introduced and the range didn't have a version of the DA/SA model to test. It's too bad because overall I liked the way the gun felt and handled.