Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Blackhawk Holster

JD45

I just saw one of these for the first time at the gun club today. The guy said he paid $14.95 and bought two of them. He doesn't compete yet, but since I do, and since it looked okay, I was wondering if anyone has tried one.

Should they be IDPA legal( I know the belt loops are)?

Have a look. For some reason, the price is double what I was told.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product_detail.as...duct_id=4031&d=

+1 On the wing carving,I have one for my G17.The belt loops are legal but there is a little daylight between the holster body and the loop attachment. Maybe you could do one of those forbidden mods to it :o

Blackhawk sent me one six months a go to try. It is a pretty decent holster. You do need to cut away some of the holster flap. Gosh, does that make me a "factory shooter"? If so they need to find a better one. :P

Looks legal to me depending on the gap as mentioned. Can't tell if the speed cut is within the 1 3/4" of the breach face though either.

Joe, Then wouldn't that make you a "pro" and put you against the GM's you're always harping about?

The front cut is legal. As far as the daylight rule, seems like it refers to daylight in the belt tunnel. What you are seeing is not in the tunnel.

I really like the Ready Tactical holsters. I have been using one for several months now. They are right on the edge of legal.

From the Rulebook:

NOT Permitted: (snip)

J. Gap in the following areas:

1. From the body to the inside of the belt.

2. From the outside of the belt to the inside of the backpiece and/or backside of the holster.

3. From the outside of the back-piece to the inside of the holster.³

Only took a cursory look at a blackhawk a year or so ago but a friend who uses one thinks his violates #2 and doesn't use it anymore. Seems the backside of theholster sits away from the pants and he thinks that consitutes the kind of gap #2 describes.

YMMV there.

Ted

Ted,

When I first looked at that holster I was thinking that it would be way too close to the body for me to get used to. I mean, if the belt loops were any closer to the back piece they would have to be stuck in there along with the pistol.

I wasn't so sure about the front speed-cut though.

All I can say is if IDPA requires a holster to be any closer to your belt or body than this one, I'll have to stop shooting IDPA.

Ted,I agree with your friend,JD I agree with you also.What we have with the Blackhawk is a holster that is not legal but rides closer to the body than some that are.

Edited by et45

Ted,I agree with your friend,JD I agree with you also.What we have with the Blackhawk is a holster that is not legal but rides closer to the body than some that are.

And that's the whole problem with the light through the channel rule. The 3/4" gap from the body should be the end of the story as far as spacing from the body.