Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Tactical Eyewear Article Upcoming

Later this year, Primedia will be doing a one-shot on tactical equipment. I have an assignment to do an article on tactical eyewear. I already have the Resolution Sawfly in-house and (theoretically at least) the Resolution Bullet Ant on the way. What other tactical eye protection would you guys suggest I include in the article?

+1 on the Rudy Project. I last year after scratching my Wylie-X glasses...I went and upgraded to the Rudy Project Freeon's....great glasses....and I've got three different lenses.

After dumping a bunch of money on Lasik last year...I didn't feel too bad spending a bit more for quality glasses.

Edited by SteveZ

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for all the info, guys. Obviously I have some phone calls to make.

Frames that take corrective lenses.

Actually the thrust of the article will in fact be frames that take corrective lenses. Speaking as a wearer of corrective lenses, myself, frames that don't have that capability would be pretty useless to me - and a lot of other people.

I would take a look at the Wiley X line if you are interested in tactical eyewear. We have sent literally 1000's of pairs of the CQC goggles over to Iraq for use with military units.

If you are going to delve into the corrective lense aspect of eyewear, almost their full product line is modifiable for correction with the exception of 5-6 pairs. More info be found here: Wiley X prescription eyewear page.

Duane,

You may want to contact Jim Shanahan from Advanced Performance on the Rudy Project line. I got mine and my son's from him and he has a "Tactical Package" that may interest you.

Cheers,

Later this year, Primedia will be doing a one-shot on tactical equipment. I have an assignment to do an article on tactical eyewear. I already have the Resolution Sawfly in-house and (theoretically at least) the Resolution Bullet Ant on the way. What other tactical eye protection would you guys suggest I include in the article?

Interesting timing...... I recently was doing internet research on "yellow tint" glasses supposed to make your vision better at night or in foggy conditions. Same thing as is used for shooting glasses.

The upshot is that the "seeing sharper" with yellow appears to be an optical illusion nobody completely understands..... and when tested, people actually see worse with tinted lenses (compared to clear).

This is said to be due to the fact that the tinted lenses reduce the amount of light entering the eye. The sources I read said that the government was directing sellers of such glasses to stop making claims that the tinted glasses give improved vision because the tests showed the opposite is true.

Interesting, definitely kept me from ordering the "yellow night driving" glasses claimed to make you see better at night.

Sir,

If you need any help with the Rudy Project line of glasses, please let me know. If you have questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

As I'm sure you know... Rudy is the only line to offer a lifetime scratched lens replacement, the only to have a 3 year warranty on the frames and now the only manufacturer that has a lens that is guaranteed not to break (Impact X).

This year most frames are available with direct in frame correction, as well as with 1 of 2 insert options (frame dependent).

While there are several other good sunglass makers, I have yet to encounter a shooter who has switched to Rudy's and then decided it was not worth it and made a switch back.