Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

What Do I Need To Polish A Chamber

chp5

I want to polish the chamber of my 9mm XD.

I assume I should use the Dremel and some Flitz - is that correct?

What Dremel attachment do I need?

Any other advice . .

Thanks.

For my edification...why would you want a polished chamber? The casing needs some friction against the walls to assure a positive seal. To me, as long as feeding is reliable, the chamber should be kept clean but not polished....???

/Bryan

It seals by expanding during ignition. The brass has enough "flex" to seal even against a chamber with a very smooth finish. In fact that may cause even better contact. The breechface prevents readward movement so the seal is pretty effective. If you look at fired cases from light, poofy loads they tend have soot down one side from because there wasn't enough pressure to fully swell the brass in the chamber.

After the round has fired the smooth finish of course aides in in extraction.

again why polish a chamber??

i dont think it would be advisable unless you had a really ROUGH chamber that when you fired a round, the extractor could not reliably pull the fired round from the chamber..

if the gun is chambering ammo and ejecting fired brass normally, why tinker?

if someone can think of a good reason to polish the chamber (other than they want something to do) please tell me.

Harmon

Harmon

Like it has been said, a polished chamber will make sealing better, aid in extraction, less crap will get built up because most stuff doesn't stick well to a polished surface. A gun is a small machine and anywhere parts move aginst each other, including the ammo, polished surfaces will make it run and smoother.

Most gunsmiths will readily agree that the exractor is one of the most stressed, and likely to fail, items in your gun (particularly in a 1911 style gun). Anything that can make the extractors job easier is a good idea.

Edited by L9X25

For my edification...why would you want a polished chamber?

/Bryan

Harmon

I believe he posted in another thread that he was having FTE's in his new to him HS/XD. I think he just looking to remedy that situation but don't quote me..... ;)

I believe he posted in another thread that he was having FTE's in his new to him HS/XD. I think he just looking to remedy that situation but don't quote me..... ;)

A polished chamber helps in the extraction of aluminium cases. (Blazer)

Flitz on a Dremel bob works well. :)

Actually a polished chamber will aid in both feeding and extraction. The thing you want to watch is making sure you are just polishing the chamber and not removing a lot of material. A very soft cloth wheel will work as long as its not overly large. Toothpaste is a good polishing compound. Make sure you keep the wheel moving back and forth, don't let it sit in one place.

And remember a little bit is good, too much can be bad........

That's it!

I'm having about a 1-2% failures to extract with my HS2000 (a/k/a XD). I swapped out a new extractor from a buddy's XD and still have FTEs.

The chamber looks fairly rough, with visible rings in the chamber. I started polishing tonight with some Flitz and a bullet-shaped felt Dremel attachment.

The felt bullet sometimes comes off the rod. I need to get another one to finish the job.

I hope this helps . . .

Thanks for the replies. Any other advice? Is there a better attachment to use?

Thanks,

Cy

UPDATE

I polished the chamber last night and shoot about 320 rounds through the HS2000 this AM. The rounds were a combo of my reloads and Rem 115's.

I had zero failures to extract! (knock on wood)

I still need to find a better felt attachement for the Dremel for polishing. Any other recommendations?

I was able to find a small, Dremel buffing wheel at Walmart which was a VERY close fit to my G34 chamber. That wheel also works perfect on the feed ramp as well.

I have a theory about Dremels: they are fine gunsmithing tools as long as you put them in the closet and set a bowling ball on top of them before you begin working on any gun.

I assume you mean the throat of an auto loader's barrel?

I agree that polishing is only needed if you have feeding problems.

I polish throats using #400, #600, #800 grit sandpaper (and oil) wrapped around the smooth end of a drill bit whose size is perfect to fit the thraot of that particular caliber. Sand by hand usuing and in-and-out motion.

I sometimes finish polish with a patch wrapped around a drill shank using chrome polish but that is just for looks..... making it mirror shiny does nothing to improve function. Looks pretty..... again, hand polish in-and-out motion also on the feed ramp.

• 2 weeks later...