Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

My First Time In Uspsa On Sunday

rvb

Hey guys....

so here's the deal. I've been shooting IDPA for a few years. Even squeaked into Master a few months ago. I want some fresh perspective, some different [and bigger?] challenges, new goals, and most importantly.... fun trigger time.

I'm shooting a classifier match on Sunday (in York, PA). This will be my first USPSA match. I was told I can join USPSA at the match (and fully intend to).

I was reading through the pdf rulebook I downloaded and looking for things that may be different or new over what I'm used to ... things to keep me out of trouble and from looking like a goof. . . I'm not worried about the 180 rule, safe tables, etc., I think I have a handle on that. Any thing drastically different from IDPA that could get me in trouble safety wise or cause me to rack up unneccessary penalties?

I'll be shooting my IDPA (SSP) gear.

Any tips, pointers, thoughts, etc? I'm not going with a goal of smokin the clock. Wouldn't mind making A-class, but not going to push for master times or anything. If I join uspsa at the match, do you think I'll still get classified? How efficiant is the governing body on those types of situations?

I absolutely can't wait. I've been saying for a year or more I want to get started shooting with you all.

Oh, and I've downloaded the pdfs of the classifier stages and sorta been studying them so I can feel comfortable and somewhat familiar and relaxed on them.

Thanks!!

Ryan

:D

Your official classification will probably take a few weeks for the scores to be turned in and processed. In the mean time you can get a good estimate by compairing your percentages to whats posted on USPSA's website. You will need 4 classifiers for an inital classificaiton card. That match should give you what you need for an inital though.

Add 2 or 3 more magazines and pouches to your IDPA gear set up.

Watch out for fault lines...

Have fun!

Hey guys....

so here's the deal. I've been shooting IDPA for a few years. Even squeaked into Master a few months ago. I want some fresh perspective, some different [and bigger?] challenges, new goals, and most importantly.... fun trigger time.

Sounds like a great plan and a perfect goal! (can't ever have too much fun)

I'm shooting a classifier match on Sunday (in York, PA). This will be my first USPSA match. I was told I can join USPSA at the match (and fully intend to).

That's a wonderful idea. The sooner you join, the sooner the benefits rack up (classifications, Front Sight magazine, etc.).

I was reading through the pdf rulebook I downloaded and looking for things that may be different or new over what I'm used to ... things to keep me out of trouble and from looking like a goof. . . I'm not worried about the 180 rule, safe tables, etc., I think I have a handle on that. Any thing drastically different from IDPA that could get me in trouble safety wise or cause me to rack up unneccessary penalties?

Pretty much the same safety issues stand as at the IDPA matches - finger out of triggerguard while moving, reloading, etc., watch the 180, no ammo in the safe area, and so on. In terms of penalties, ask the folks on your squad. There might be different pitfalls awaiting you on different stages and listing all of the possibilities here would take a very long time.

Probably perfect for Production division.

Any tips, pointers, thoughts, etc? I'm not going with a goal of smokin the clock. Wouldn't mind making A-class, but not going to push for master times or anything. If I join uspsa at the match, do you think I'll still get classified? How efficiant is the governing body on those types of situations?

Any classifier stage(s) you shoot will be sent in with the ones for everybody else. If the folks who sign you up do it like others I've seen, they'll mark them as 'Pending' and advise USPSA HQ of your status. It takes 4 classifiers to get your initial classification. Some matches are run as Classifier Specials with up to 4 classifier stages in one match, but generally there's only one per match.

Good call on Master. Shoot for A at your first event.

I absolutely can't wait. I've been saying for a year or more I want to get started shooting with you all.

Well, it's about time! And if you ever get down here to shoot with us in Georgia, you need to know that "Y'all" is the proper singular, "All Y'all" is the proper plural, and "You All" is sumpthin them Yankees use to haul their furniture down here. :lol: We really don't mind; especially if they're shooters.

Oh, and I've downloaded the pdfs of the classifier stages and sorta been studying them so I can feel comfortable and somewhat familiar and relaxed on them.

Walk up and announce it's your first USPSA match. I'm sure you're going to made very welcome.

Thanks!!

Ryan

Welcome to USPSA!

...Mark

Did the same thing myself a year ago. Kicked myself all over the range for not doing it earlier. As a 3 gun IDPA master myself, let's just say that shooting uspsa exposes you to a much deeper swimming pool. With sharks. ;)

Range commands are a tad different, but not enough that they should throw you off. Also, in uspsa, there isn't any "spirit" of the stage - so generally speaking, if they don't say you can't do it, you can do it without trying to figure out what the course designer "intended" for you to do as you would in most idpa matches.

You'll likely be pleasantly surprised with the short course descriptions - start here, hands here, gun here, and shoot from the box. A similar idpa stage description for a 32 round field course (if there was such an idpa beast) would be three pages long. :P

DO watch the 180. Several of the guys that were shooting idpa with me got DQ'd in their first few months shooting uspsa. We became so acclimated to shooting from odd angles in idpa that it's easy to make a mistake and break the 180.

Otherwise, just like in idpa, the vast, vast majority of shooters are good folks who are more than willing to help.

Have fun, and welcome to the dark side. :lol:

Edited by Catfish

Hey guys....

Thanks!!

Ryan

Ryan:

Howard runs a nice shoot at York. I shot the classifier in the spring last year and he sends the dada in to USPSA within the week. USPSA updates their classifactions monthly so if the four scores get sent in timely as they always are from York you can expect to be classified by April's USPSA posting. Also, after you get your scores from Howard, you can go to this site and put you hit fator in for each stage and your division and it will give you you national percentage for each classifier. http://ohiouspsa.com

You did not say what type of Blaster you are using and of course that will determine your USPSA division. If 1911, you can shoot in L-10 and the provisional single stack division. Otherwise, you would presumably be in production since you did not say you shoot a whhel gun. Hope tp see you there.

Mike

Just shoot it an enjoy.

You can drop mags on the go and with rounds still in them.

Sounds silly but your going to be amazed at what is ingrained.

USPSA tgts center are rectangular nor circular. Aim center high

Don't wear your concealment :)

YOU work out how to shoot the stage. You will not be told as precisely how to shoot it as is usually the case in IDPA.

Economy of Motion is as hard a skill to master as sights.

Small stuff like that.

Also don't be surprised if Master in IDPA equates to around B in USPSA.

Not besmirking your skill but it is what I have witnessed many times.

Steven

Unless they setup an extra stage or 2 that's not part of the special classifier match (If I read your post correctly), you won't see the really big differences between USPSA and IDPA until your second, non-special classifier match.

Classifiers don't give you nearly the freedom/freestyle that normal stages do. However they're still fun and you'll get classified right off the bat as well as meeting a lot of good people.

You can also join USPSA online before the match if you want.

Have fun!

Unless they setup an extra stage or 2 that's not part of the special classifier match (If I read your post correctly), you won't see the really big differences between USPSA and IDPA until your second, non-special classifier match.

Classifiers don't give you nearly the freedom/freestyle that normal stages do. However they're still fun and you'll get classified right off the bat as well as meeting a lot of good people.

Have fun!

York is running 4 classifiers and two other stages which presumably will be the usual run and gun. They may add a seventh stage but as of Monday that was unlikely

Mark,

Ya'll give some mighty good advice, thanks for the reply! :)

Catfish,

I'm looking forward to the 'freedom' to shoot w/in the rules and not be scripted... I've been frustrated too many times lately in idpa seeing a faster way to shoot something w/in the confines (and 'spirit') of the rules, but not being allowed to do so 'cause it's not in the "script" on the course description. Not saying I'll be good at it at the start, but I'm looking forward to it.

Mike,

I'll be shooting a Beretta 92G. Fiber front post notch-n-post iron sights. Planning to play in Production unless they deem otherwise when I get there on equip/mods. (All idpa SSP legal, so from what I see in the book I think I'm good to go).

Steven,

I've been practicing w/ some paper/practice uspsa targets... I haven't felt any hindrance in the size/shape of the A zone compared to an idpa '-0', but I haven't really been under the match pressure, either. I have no problem showing up in B class, either (or C for that matter). I like goals. With new rules/targets/style/ect, there's going to be a learning curve that is independant of the basics of practical shooting. I'm ok with that. If I start low, than my goal will be to be able to proclaim, "look how fast I moved up!". Also... no retention reloads or slide-lock is going to be weird.... I'll be pawing for that slide release whether I need it or not I'm sure...

Everyone,

Thanks for letting me know how the USPSA will handle the classification/membership. Sounds like they are on the ball.

I'll definately keep that 180 in mind.

See ya on the range.

Ryan

If I'm not mistaken you can also join USPSA up to 2 weeks AFTER you shoot a classifer match and those classifiers will still be counted.

FYI

Edited by C.Keen

I'm sure you'll have a blast - and as a bonus, shooting uspsa makes shooting idpa a lot easier. After you get used to mentally planning 32 round field courses, it makes those 12 rounders you'll see a lot of in idpa a lot simpler on the noggin.

Have fun! :D

Ryan,

I'll look for you at York on sunday, maybe we will be squaded toegther. Whatever you do, leave you cover garment at home and don't tell your IDPA bud's about it! LOL

If you are going alone, tell your squad mates that this is your first match and someone will take you under there wing and help you out. The guys i usually squad with are great in helping out new shooters and are a relaxed bunch of guys you are welcome to squad with us.

If you live in NOVA you can carpool with us from Springfield. if you want to shoot me a PM or e-mail and I'll get you my Phone # and we can make arrangements

I'm not going with a goal of smokin the clock. Wouldn't mind making A-class,

Over the years I have seen a few IDPA crossover shooters who would have LOVED to shoot that well in their first few matches (even in the special classifiers). Most classifers are straightforward stages, nothing elaborate or complicated, shoot fast, shoot clean and let us know how you do.

As some have mentioned this type of match may not give you the full "flavor" of freestyle stages so you may have to return for the "run-n-gun" stuff.

Welcome to USPSA.

I am an IDPA to USPSA shooter also, and I'm hooked.

I started shooting USPSA less than a year ago and I've moved into Limited Division from Production.

I've found that these guys are wonderful to shoot with and more than helpful, even the pros. My first match was the 2005 VA-MD sectional and Phil Strader gave me wonderful tips throughout the day.

If you get to shoot with Basman on Sunday, he will give you some excellent advice, since he is a fellow NOVA shooter, I know.

Good luck to you and start saving money cause you'll want to shoot every division.

So how did it go?????

Sorry... just finished cleaning the mud out of my mags...

How'd it go? It was wet and sloppy.

Other than that, It was a blast!!

Got to meet Basman afterwards and several of us went for lunch.

I wasn't super happy with my shooting. Did ok, but not my greatest. Too many other things to think about. Especially my first couple of stages... I pushed a little too fast and had too many C/Ds (I think I only had about 5 Ds over the whole match, but way too many Cs for minor).

I came in 4/16 in Production and 17/49 in the [unofficial] overall scores.

As for the classifiers ... well, I would have made B if not for 03-09, "Baseball" ... ugh. Only scored 53 on that [44%]. Looks like I'll end up in C w/ about 56%. Oh well... that was with bags on the targets and one 10yd classifier stage set up 5yds too long which accounted for 2 shots just barely in the D ring (I was given the option to reshoot, but waved it).

Did ok on one of the field stages, botched the other. I need more mag pouches!! Tried stuffing extra in my belt, but when trying to draw one, another ended up on the ground. I ended up rushing on steel too much on the stage I botched.

Loved the high round count stages... holy crap that was fun and gets the blood moving!!

Now to go research mag pouches...

Oh, I joined USPSA Friday through their website.

Thanks!

rvb

(Ryan)

Edited by rvb

Ryan,

Your story sounds soooooo familiar,,kuz I did the same thing. I still shoot and enjoy IDPA as well, but USPSA is where it's at. I went ahead and just became a life member with USPSA right off the bat 'Kuz I loved it that much.

Last year was my first full year of USPSA shooting after having shot IDPA the last 6 years. I am a 2 gun expert with IDPA, and a higher B class shooter in USPSA. I'm a pretty good field course shooter, but for some reason I keep botching the classifiers.... <_< .

I have a ton of fun at each match, and I ALWAYS look foreword to the next match.

Good luck, and as always HAVE A GREAT TIME!

By the way, an earlier poster said it correct, it won't be long and you'll want to shoot in all of the divisions....trust me on this one..

• 3 weeks later...

UPDATE:

So, I shot my second uspsa match this past weekend at Fredericksburg, VA. They put on one hell of a show with something like 120 shooters. It was 4 classifiers and 3 fun stages.

I've now shot 8 classifier stages in 3 weeks. Looks like I should end up in B class based on my best 6. If it wasn't for such a poor performance in York, I might be up at or near A.

I thought I'd post some differences between IDPA and IPSC that have tripped me up the last couple weeks in case anyone comes across this thread down the road searching for similar info.

1st. IDPA Administrative Reloads.... don't do 'em. The RO realized I was a new uspsa shooter and between stages just politely asked wtf I was doing. He didn't say anything when I was on the line as he said he felt I had been handling my weapon well and safely all day and he couldn't think of why it was bad/wrong, but had never seen it.

2nd. scoring. I need to learn the details of how it works... ie so I have a plan of whether I should take the time to make up Cs, etc depending on the pace of the stage. This may take some experience and some time on the calculator. This is easy in idpa... can you make it up with a 0.5s split or better (or 1.5s for -3)??

3rd, related to above... Shoot-throughs do NOT count like they do in IDPA. Got spanked on a classifier (99-27, "leftys revenge") because of this in VA this weekend, my last stage of the day. I hit the no-shoot on my second shot on T2. My only penalty all day. I called it. knew it was there w/o looking for the hole. A big "D'OH!!". ... well, in IDPA, I'd get the no-shoot penalty, but I'd have scored -0 and -1 hits. So I went on to the rest of the stage just trying to keep all my focus on my shots at hand and forget about it ... I was so suprised to hear the RO call it A/Mike/noshoot and see 20 points in penalties. yup, 10 for the mike and 10 for the no-shoot. Had I known the shot through the no-shoot into the target didn't count, I'd have made it up, gotten myself another A [hopefully], and had another 15 points over my actual score.

4th. Variation in plans!! Wow!! What fun!! In IDPA, "planning" your stage may mean figuring out your reloads depending on what division you're in as to minimize your score. I learned it's tough to watch other shooters and not get mentally shaken about your plan ("Is this guy's plan better than mine?"). I've tried hard the last year or so to really visualize my shooting before getting to the line ... if the editor of the movie (me!) mixes in other people's film, it can toss your plan to out the window when the buzzer goes off. confidence and CORRECT visualization are key.

5th. Classifiers. USPSA classifiers can be more fun than many "scenario" stages in IDPA. Lots of rounds, interesting shooting positions, etc.

6th. equipment. I'm never a believer that equipment can win matches or make you a better shooter... However, I didn't have enough mag carriers at York (only need 2 in idpa). Trying to stuff mags in my leather gun belt meant reloads got fumbled and mags were dropped all over the place and almost ran out of ammo a couple times. This week I had some new gear, a CRSpeed belt and speedcomp mag carriers. a WORLD of difference (when you can carry more than 2 mags).

I'm sure as I play more, I'll find more differences. Those just happen to be the ones that have jumped out at me in the 2 matches I shot.

Thanks for all your input.

and it was nice meeting some of you.

Ryan