Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Adj. Sights Or Fixed?

Dusty

I like adjustables. I handload, and play with different loads enough that the adjustables really make life a lot easier. Fixed sights work fine too once you find a load that hits where you are aiming.

Club shoots around here rarely push past 30 yards, and that is rare. Long shots seem to be 20ish yards on average.

I adjusted my sites once, 2 years ago when I got the pistol. Have not touched them since. it is 50/50 Fixed sites have less parts so less to break. I have seen bomars that flop around because of a little pin breaks. Kind of hard to hit targets with the rear site bouncing up and down with every shot.

They have to be adjustable because you have to zero the ammo you are shooting.

I started with a Glock 21 that I had to file down the front site. :o

I didn't know how to run a mill much less have one. :lol:

Get the adjustables! :P

FM

With the ranges we typically shoot, I see no reason for adjustable sights. I've seen far more problems with sight pins breaking, screws coming out, blades popping off, than I have with zero problems. It doesn't take much to drift a sight and file down a front sight, but the piece of mind of a solid sight I think is worth. I switched to Heinie slant pro rear sight when I had a STI rear pin break during an area match. No problems since.

Just my $.02.

I adjusted my sites once, 2 years ago when I got the pistol. Have not touched them since. it is 50/50 Fixed sites have less parts so less to break. I have seen bomars that flop around because of a little pin breaks. Kind of hard to hit targets with the rear site bouncing up and down with every shot.

Greg, I just got my new Limited gun from Barry, check it out in the Gallery. I'll be shooting it on Sunday.

It has a fixed rear, nothing to break. My Production gun has fixed sights also. If you pick a load to shoot and have the front filed in, why would you need to adjust them?

Edited by GeorgeInNePa

You can't really file down a fiber optic front sight. I installed the new Tactical adjustable rear sight from STI last month. Fits a novak cut, adjustable for elavation and windage. and I couldn't be happier.

If you have a load you are going to stick to forever fixed sights would be awesome! :lol:

Does anyone around here leave a GOOD thing alone?

Not me!

FM

Front sight blanks are cheap.

You can't really file down a fiber optic front sight. I installed the new Tactical adjustable rear sight from STI last month. Fits a novak cut, adjustable for elavation and windage. and I couldn't be happier.

You have a point there. If you like the FO, you do need an adjustable rear. I tried one on my Glock, I don't like them. It's now painted black.

I have adjustables on my 1911's that I have used in competition. I used to recommend them all the time. BUt I have set my sights 2 years ago as well and haven't touched them since. And I have shot 230gr factory, 230gr reloads, 200gr lswc, 185gr lswc reloads...

I will say that the only problems I have really ever had on my guns are broken adjustable sights, pins and rear blades.

Now with that being said my most recent Production gun a CZ SP01 will have the fixed C comp sights. And I just bought and ran ammo through a CZ 85b. I was using 115gr white box, 115 steel case Wolf, 147gr Wolf brass cased jhp and some Winchester silvertips. All shot to point of aim, dead on, so I don't think I will even change those sights, unless I really like the CZ comp sights (Angus still has the gun, haven't shot it yet with the new sights).

Even minor powder changes in anything I ever owned changed the POI.

I like the idea of something as reliable as a brick; but it also needs to be practical. :o .

No one on this thread has yet made me want to ditch the Bomars and apply fixed sights! :P

Not that I am an instigator or anything. :P

FM

My guns must be different. I changed the recoil spring and the POI moved. I changed from Laser Cast bullets to MasterBlasters and POI changed. I changed from WST to Clays and POI changed. I changed from 200 gr to 230 and POI changed.

Absolutely, if you are going to keep changing stuff, stick with adjustable sights.

I intend to keep using a 14lb spring, Tite-Group, and 180gr Zero's. If and when I need to change something so radical that the POI shifts enough that I feel the need to adjust my sights, I'll buy a new front sight blank.

Use whatever works for you. Nothing is the same for everyone.

I ran Dawson Adj sights with a FO front sight on my 5in XD since they came out. I just recently bought a new front sight and the fixed rear. Filed the front down and made a FO out of it. I am only shooting 147s in the gun, so I set the sights up for that. Now I have a sight set that looks like my other guns for my XD and I dont have to dick with it now!

DougC

• 2 weeks later...

I've shot with both over the years, and actually prefer fixed sights because they seem to be sleeker and less complicated to me. Every IDPA gun I've used had fixed sights, and I don't seem to suffer because of it. I have a new STI Edge on order for IPSC Limited use, and it will have adjustible sights. I'll play with them for a while and decide if I'll keep them or not.

Edited by 9_Ball_Slim