Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Classification Issue

lndshrk

Let's say you shoot in a sanctioned match and get bumped up from SS to Expert. You subsequently shoot a local club Classifier Match and only score at the SS level. At the next major match that requires a Classifier to have been shot within a year, at what level should you register?

I would guess that you'd stay an Expert no matter how badly you shoot in the future.

I don't think that there is a penalty for not shooting a classifier within a year, which makes it pretty much just a suggestion.

To me the best part of shooting IDPA was the Classifier.

Respectfully,

jkelly

Shooting a classifier every year is the shooter's responsibility according to the rules. It is, however, unenforcable. Maybe only by needling at the club level. Sanctioned matches only require that you be classified. When is not an issue. Sucks if you get bumped up too early by winning a regional match. You can't go down in classification without petitioning HQ, and it has to be for age, ailment, injury, etc. Shoot the classifier whenever you get the chance. It's good practice and those skills will only improve.

Expert is the standup thing to do IMO.

I think the once a year just means so we don't have people shooting in marksman for 7 years and only getting 8 people per division and never moving up after winning 6 state titles.

IDPA really needs a better way of keeping up with classification.

IDPA really needs a better way of keeping up with classification.
Steve - You're right, but having someone process the scores at Berryville would probably require hiring another employee just for the data input. Then they'd have to raise the dues to the level of USPSA's. ;) (Like an extra five bucks would put a noticeable dent in anyone's shooting budget...)

shot 2 matches last year...on the same squad both times with a MASTER shooter and i tried to keep up with him the whole match both times...and both times i got bumped...that was fun!!!......WATCH who you shoot with <_< ...but if you are ready to move up...do it at a match....especially if a bunch of friends are with you...it gives them something to talk ab out :lol:

Cut and paste from the current rulebook (number 7 applies):

"Shooter Responsibilities.

1. ALWAYS follow the four laws of gun safety.

2. ALWAYS be conscious of muzzle direction.

3. Refrain from having finger in the trigger guard when not actually engaging targets.

4. Exhibit safe gun handling at all times.

5. Follow the rules in this book and any match-specific or range-specific rules.

6. Acquire and use IDPA legal equipment.

7. Obtain a valid classification and maintain it by shooting the classifier at least once every twelve (12) months (except master class shooters).

8. Assist in taping targets and picking up brass.

9. Be ready to shoot when called to the line (i.e., have appropriate ammo, concealment garment, etc.).

10. Be courteous and respectful to the match officials and other shooters.

11. In addition, have fun, socialize, learn and improve your gun handling and shooting skills.

NOTE: Contestants may only shoot one IDPA match as a non-IDPA member. Competitors wishing to shoot additional matches must become IDPA members. Membership forms are available by writing or phoning HQ or on the internet at the IDPA web site (www.idpa.com). Membership forms are also usually available from any IDPA MD or IDPA club. When completing a membership application, make sure to sign the application, the waiver and have a witness sign the waiver. Otherwise, HQ will return the application to you for completion.

New memberships may also be processed through the local club; however, renewal of membership must be handled directly by HQ."

Let's say you shoot in a sanctioned match and get bumped up from SS to Expert. You subsequently shoot a local club Classifier Match and only score at the SS level. At the next major match that requires a Classifier to have been shot within a year, at what level should you register?

I never shoot the classifier as well as I shoot matches. The reason? It's the only match where every stage is Limited..... This is never the case at sanctioned matches, and it makes a difference in how a stage is approached, at least for me.

I've never shot the classifier above mid-range EX......

Andy C.

Why would you ever want to shoot a class lower than your best performance?

Put simply...To win.

It gives great advantage to the shooter so he doesn't have to practice. Kinda like a Black Belt in Tae Kwon Do putting on a Green Belt and beating the inexperienced people in a tournament.

I think it is pretty clear that the answer is shoot as an expert. Lest ye be branded the shining example of sandbagger.

OK,

Here's the more interesting situation - should you try and get bumped just by winning?

This is a little harder with the 1 time per year rule for the classifer, but, it got me in trouble with my buddies. I was just on the edge of making SS in the classifier early in the year. Didn't shoot it any more and got much better through the summer. But never won (or more correctly place well when there wasn't enough entrants to bump me).

So the buds starting calling me a sandbagger! (I'm so hurt)

Anyway, I thought it more of an achievement to win the calssification through competition as opposed to practicing and doing well on the classifier. Yes, it is possible to do poorly on the classifier and do very well in a match - the long shots can really hurt you and I very rarely see them in a match.

I've also seen a lot of guys go out and shoot the classifier over and over on weekends then move up on the next classifier match. But then they find out that they just don't compete well in matches and usually shoot at a level one class below. That has to be discouraging.

Mayo, are you saying the classifer doesn't represent match skills, or are you saying that they perform poorly because they quit practicing?

I think he means that the classifier doesn't fully represent match skills. At least that's how I perceive it. I shot the Classifier last weekend and made Expert (a few points shy of Master), I made Marksman in December 2005 in CDP. Since the last two weeks of December I have been shooting USPSA/IPSC, Single Stack Matches, along with IDPA, and practicing in general, I shoot about 4-5 times a week, which has really helped me become an overall better shooter. I could shoot Master if I practiced the Classifier a couple of times (literally). But the Classifier can be rehearsed and practiced over and over, and when you Classify at a higher level, the stages aren't going to the same, you're involving more moving than in the Classifier, and you're going to be shooting like a lower class shooter.

To make a long story short, I feel (Just my thoughts) that the IDPA Classifier doesn't represent "Total" match skills. It can be practiced, you could make Master, and still not hang with the Masters. So I guess in general, it would be easy to cheat yourself.

To make a long story short, I feel (Just my thoughts) that the IDPA Classifier doesn't represent "Total" match skills. It can be practiced, you could make Master, and still not hang with the Masters. So I guess in general, it would be easy to cheat yourself.

Yep!

I think the IDPA classifier is an excellent marksmanship test. In big matches (12+ stages), it's consistency that wins. The classifier doesn't put you in a car seat or have you shooting at disappearing movers, steel, etc... Make master in the classifier by mostly practicing the classifier makes you a master at shooting the classifier.

Either way is valid move up in class IMO. People shoot for different reasons.

there is not a match i have ever been to that the shooting sequence is not done in the classifier, only difference is targets are mixed up, and maybe more of them, how you get to the shooting can be different, but at a classifier it covers 99% of any targets you will engage at a match, i myself would rather move up at a match than a classifier any day

there is not a match i have ever been to that the shooting sequence is not done in the classifier, only difference is targets are mixed up, and maybe more of them, how you get to the shooting can be different, but at a classifier it covers 99% of any targets you will engage at a match, i myself would rather move up at a match than a classifier any day

The main differences, IMO between a real match and the classifier match, are that no match I have ever been to were you allowed to shoot the stage more than once, and no major matches have consisted entirely of limited stages with no concealment.

Being able to shoot a particular stage over and over until you get the score you want never happens at a major match. Or a club match, for that matter.

Andy C.