Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

3 Gun Shotguns? Benelli? Jp? Remington?

PistolPete

On Remington's 11-87's (SP) you need to regularly replace the "O" ring's and make sure the gas rings are clean and moving freely on the magazine tube. Additionally the little "T" shaped bar (can't remember what it's called) that is between the bolt and the recoil spring needs to be regularly inspected for cracks. And sometimes the notch in the bolt handle isn't deep enough and they will pop out.

Change the "O" ring 2 or 3 times a year, replace the "T" bar every once a year, replace the bolt handle with one of DMW's, and keep it clean and you have a very servicable shotgun without the cost of the Benelli..........

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Bob. If you do all the little things in a preventative manner and in addition, keep the gas system lubed with detergent motor oil, the Remmies will run all de' day long.

This is the same reliability bad rap the AR used to have (and still does with some folks) due to them not being maintained, lubed and fed right. Some race bikes go a full season on the same motor, some get rebuilt a couple times a season and some don't make it through a single race day without issues. It almost always comes down to the mechanic and the level of prep/maintenance in play.

Yes, the Remmies have a lot of little stamped parts in them and yes, they can break, but like anything that gets hard use, if it gets the right maintenance, it shouldn't leave you stranded in a COF ;-)

I don't mind the dump the Remmy attitude taking over US IPSC shooting, it will make buying ready to race ones cheaper ;-)

BTW, maintenance is not just cleaning and lubing, it also means replacing parts on a specific timetable, not just when they break.

I am still learning this lesson one step at a time, but I am getting there ;-)

I guess I am just one lucky dude. I have used Remingtons since about 1987 for 3 gunning, and for trap/skeet for about 10 years before that and have never broken one. I have had a Benelli cost me a match (had one for about 6 months in the early 90's) but never a Remington...............

Just my 2 pesos-

I mainly build Browning's for customers. But-I damn sure would go with a Benelli before I would go with a Remington. Just FWIW-the older Rems are much, much better than the new ones. Get you a Benelli and you will have fun. A little tuning and tweaking and it will shoot every time for ya without using howitzer loads. And yes-I have shot one too!!

Blasphemy!!

For the shotgun ignorant like me, this thread has listed some of the Remington weaknesses and maintenance tips that help keep those weaknesses in check.

From the Benelli side what are the weaknesses of this platform and the associated maintenance tips?

Just my 2 pesos-

I mainly build Browning's for customers. But-I damn sure would go with a Benelli before I would go with a Remington. Just FWIW-the older Rems are much, much better than the new ones. Get you a Benelli and you will have fun. A little tuning and tweaking and it will shoot every time for ya without using howitzer loads. And yes-I have shot one too!!

Blasphemy!!

In what way are the older Rems better? What's breaking on the new ones that doesn't on the old ones?

Doesn't drilling out the ports solve the "howitzer-load" issue?

Aren't gas-operated guns (Remmy) notoriously softer recoiling than their recoil operated counterparts (Benelli) anyway?

the older Rem's seem to be stronger, more solid, not stamped steel, etc,etc. At least I find that in the 1100 model of old compared to new. As far as ports, Benelli dont got no ports, it's inertia driven. Yes, gas guns are normally softer shooting, but the Rem's have issues with their gas rings sometimes, and well, they get dirty and slows/jams them up. If you want a gas gun, go with the Browning or Winchester SX2. They use a gas piston, not rings, which works extremely well.

Edited by AH6IP

weakness of the Benelli is the shell cut off/ bolt hold open roll pin, I have seen 4 of these break. The cam pin can break if no lube is used in this area....but only after about umpteenthousand shells,I have seen two over the years, and once I saw a trigger break where the disconecter sits, but that was only one.... and ALL this is after really paying attention over 11 years. In the mean time I have filled SEVERAL 5 gallon dry wall buckets with Remington parts, Browning firing pins and SX2 cross pins....but your mileage may vary. As posted I HATE Benelli, BUT THEY DON'T BREAK!!!!

• 3 weeks later...

Ya get what ya paid for.

My comp master was good for a while but.........................

After more gas rings,o rings and obsessing. No answer..........WAIT.....YEP

At the end of my last zeroed (lost count of how many)stage,as i showed clear.

"First $500 buys this junk"and a hand went up in the crowd.

I gave $850 for it ,but compared to beating it against the dumpster at the range $500 was pure profit :blink:

Benny hill ordered ,just now.

I'm so done tuning!Compare a dissassembled Benelli to a rem ,then assemble(this aplifies the effect)them both.

The benelli is a well made machine that makes the rem look like 2 soup cans tied together with a string.

The price difference is substancial but Quality aint cheap.

and if you bother to have the shotgun fit to you ( this is a BIG hint to American shooters: I have kept this tidbit in reserve untill now as I don't think anyone will actually read this far. )

Is this something that you have to have done or are there tricks to doing it yourself?

Hie thee to the IPSC web sight and click up the Global Village (you will have to become a member) and search on down. There is lots of info about fitting. Basically if you throw the gun to your shoulder and all you see is bead...it is fit right, if not there are about 17 things you can do. There is quite a bit listed in the "village" so start there, or skip it and find the guy who does ALL the trap and sporting clay guns in your area. KURTM

• 3 weeks later...

I think it also is a matter of luck of the draw. I had two brand new Benneli M1S90s, the second replaced the first. The ghost ring sight kept popping off, sheared bolts, on both guns. I gave up and went with a Remmy 1100 Competion Master and never looked back. I wish the Bennelis would have worked out for me but I just did not have the patients for a third go around. And yes, Benneli's customer support is about as bad as it gets. At least the folks in India try.

Edited by doublex

The Benelli "ghost ring" sights definatly suck!! Are you talking about the screws that held the sights on? Or did you mean the BOLT broke? I don't think a Benelli bolt could break, but if it did it would be a new one on me. I did wear one out (we would call it the bolt carrier, but Benelli calls it the bolt), the cam surface rounded out and would allow the bolt to bounce back out of battery. This is the part that everybody lightens. I just can't picture that huge hunk of metal breaking.

• 2 months later...

I have both a TSS Benelli and a Rem 1187 from Shawn Carlock at Defensive Edge, so I can offer some perspective. My son, age 13, 120lbs or so, shoots the Benelli in open. The gun started out life as a limited gun (for me), but we turned it into an open gun for my son as it was lighter and easier for him to hold/shoot/and manipulate to load. Benny left the 21" barrel on the gun and added a 10rnd mag tube and the Arredondo loading bracket. No porting. No dot. Fiber optic front sight with Benny's flip up rear sight for slugs. He has been practicing and is in the 4-4.5 sec range for shoot, load 4, shoot. He has hit a few sub 3's, but not consistently. Given his size and experience I think he is doing great. He shot it yesterday in his first local multi-gun match and did well. Given his size, he has no problem running the Benelli with 3dr. 11/8oz loads and Rem. low recoil slugs.

I shoot the Carlock 1187 in Tactical. Shawn supplied and built the gun with all his mods (interceptor latch fix, cut down ez-loader, etc.) for about the same cost as the JP Rem. A friend has a JP Rem and I shot it before getting the Carlock gun. I did not care for the rifled sights and the larger ez loader. Shawn sets up his gun with a FO front and mid bead. The gun is right on a 50 yards with Rem low recoil slugs. The JP Rem also does not have the interceptor latch fix. If you go Rem, I think the Carlock gun is a better buy. Rem is heavier than the Benelli, but IMHO it shoots flatter and is softer. Benelli has less parts to break, is a little harder on the shooter, is lighter, and costs more. Depends on what you want.

Hope this helps.

Nick-

an additional 2 cents from a guy who has been shooting the same Benelli for 19 years, but has tried every thing else along the way to see if they were an advantage ( as I once was a gamey sorta fellow) BUY A BENELLI, nothing yet handles and shoots as well and reliably as a good benelli. Granted there have been some duds out there but they are the best out there, I agree wholeheartedly with Kurt, the company does not exist to support the gun shooters or anyone but themselves, but the blaster is fine. Get a 21" vent barrel, flip up back sight, small fiber optic front and your flavor of mag tube and go shoot, forget maintenance, I know I have shot over 1000 rounds without cleaning mine many times. I just trades for another one this weekend, and found an additonal one with a 21" barrel that is reasonable that I haven't bought if anyone is interested. I also just got an Extrema 2 to build and try so I will have a report on it before the end of August to see which one goes to Greece.

nuff said

jc

The interceptor latch fix?

Brownells sells the little clips. think they are called retainer clips. The ones with two holes in them for the removal pliers.

Anyways brownells sells them in 3 different thickness. So you can tune your latch to stay close to frame and not wobble.

Take the latch out, sand it smooth on frame side, polish off the ruff edges, it is a stamped part. Pick a retainer that leaves some wobble. Too tight will gum up too easy when gun gets dirty.

Maybe somebody is making a better latch. I have not heard of it.

I have old 11/87 and it just keeps running. As long I use 1oz loads, it works fine, it doesn't like 7/8 loads unless they are hot.