Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Downer Movies

ErikW

The Happiness thread got me thinking... what are you favorite downer movies? No Hollywood happy endings, just bleak, dark, sad, or depressing.

In no particular order, off the top of my head, mine would be: Leaving Las Vegas, Requiem for a Dream, Happiness, The Center of the World. OK, LLV would be #1 if I had an order.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The Thing" (the remake with Kurt Russell.  "The Bad Leutenant" (I know I spelled that wrong....French is like a whole different language).  "Jacob's Ladder" and "Fallen" are very good choices, although I thought I was the only one that saw those movies

S

P

O

I

L

E

R

W

A

R

N

I

N

G

I didn't seem ambiguous to me, though certainly until the end of the movie you have absolutely no idea what the hell is going on. He died in 'Nam, and everything in the movie between the first and last scenes was the dying fantasies shooting out of his brain as it shut down - which says something about just how amazing this guy's mind was!

I discovered Jacobs Ladder when I was 12 or something (maybe not that young, but it was a while ago).  My mother had a fit when she saw it.  I didn't get that whole pre-death thing either.  Gotta stop by Blockbuster tonight.