Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Favorite Actor/Actress

The idea came to me after seeing Jennifer Beals in "Roger Dodger."  She's 39, and is a luminous beauty.  (Hollywood ageism, don't get me started.)  What happened to her career?  She's a really good actress, has aged better than Phoebe Cates (but then, Phoebes has had how many kids?) but has to work in indies to get good parts.

My current favorite actor is Giovanni Ribisi.  His part in "Heaven" is jaw dropping.  Cate Blanchett, on the other hand, is only ordinary-looking, but quite a good actor.

(Edited by Patrick Sweeney at 8:57 am on Dec. 16, 2002)

Actor:  Robert Duvall is way up on the list.  Talk about someone who has never gotten his due.  Tom Skerritt is also a surprisingly versatile actor who gets no fanfare for it.

Actress:  Diane Venora.  She's pretty well been blackballed due to ageism as well.  A shame, since she is such a solid actress.  Watch her in anything.  Talk about somebody that walks onto the set, does her job, and does it well.  Love her stuff.  (Heat, Hamlet 2000, The Jackal, and others)

TL,

Yea I know,  should have picked Jenna Jamison or one of the other talented ones.  Back in the day when Traci L.  was still working I read a story about her behind the camera stuff,   (ofcourse I couldn't repeat it here!!! :) )  since then I always think of her first.

My picks for the best actress/actor that the kids can read about?

In my eyes a performer should make this list if they cause you to watch a movie or show that you wouldn't normally watch just to see what they do even if you disagree with their politics, lifestyle, etc...

Halle Berry; Incredible beauty,  never typecast.

Diane Lane;  Can a smile like that be acting???

Michelle Pfeiffer;  Ageism???

Julia Roberts;  Yea I know but I still love watching her.

Gene Hackman;  Pick a role.

Clint Eastwood;  Dirty Harry rocks!!!

Mel Gibson;   He got me on Braveheart.  Probably the Scot blood.

Keanu Reeves;  Mostly he sucks,  but when he's on it works.

Lots more on both list.  Just need to do some research to get the names right.

Hey, don't be too hard on 3/4-time! The question was who is your "favorite" actor/actress, not who is the "best" or "best looking". If 3/4 has a thing for Traci, I'm sure he has his reasons (probably saw one of her flics during a formative time in his life). I've always had a bit of a thing for Kathryn Ross who was a bit wooden as an actress (but highly decorative).

Robert Duvall is a great actor and always fun to watch. I loved his portrayal of Augustus McCrea in Lonesome Dove. (What's the line about "I don't put up with surly bartenders"?)

Mel Gibson has done a lot of good movies. I don't think he has quite the depth of Robert Duvall, but he's also fun to watch.

Tommy Lee Jones is a great actor and I've really enjoyed a lot of his movies. His interpretation of the crazy terrorist in "Under Siege" is outstanding.

But, my favorite actor is Clint Eastwood. Not a great actor - he usually just plays variations of the same character - but I always like watching.

Cheers,

Steve McQueen

Christopher Walken

John Malkovitch

Gary Oldman

Gene Hackman

Willum Dafoe

Tim Roth

Brian Dennehy (sp)

Clint

John Wayne

Dennis Hopper

Jack Nicholson

Johhny Depp

John voigt

Edward Norton

James Caan

Dustin Haughman

Robert DeNiro

Juliette Lewis

a friend just told me that Leanardo DeCaprio should be in the woman's category. lol

and Sean Penn's done some good roles as well.

I'm sure I'll think of more later.

be

Quote: from Erik Warren on 11:01 am on Dec. 16, 2002

Benicio del Toro (Way of the Gun, Traffic, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas)

Did you see him in Snatch?...he got rave reviews...but he was a corpse for most of the movie...and with a bag over his head for most of that...lol

Leonardo in the women's category. LOL. He's a very good actor though. Too bad he accepted to play in Titanic

What surprises me is that some of the "pretty boy" actors, who were famous for their looks, rather than their acting skills are really good. To name a few: Johnny Depp, Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise all played some brilliant stuff. Pitt in Kalifornia, Depp in almost all of his movies. And I know I'm probably the only one, but I really really liked Vanilla Sky (though it depressed me for about two weeks after I watched it)

Brian, nice list.

BTW, after seeing Training Day, I would like to add Denzel to my list. Awesome role.

(Edited by spook at 10:50 am on Dec. 18, 2002)

spook,

Yes, Leonardo was unbelievable in What's Eating Gilbert Grape.

I haven't seen training day yet. Actually looked for it last night but didn't find it easily so I re-rented The Conversation - it's been a few years...

Couple more:

Holly Hunter

James Woods (how could I have forgot him)

Edward Jame Olmos (was awesome in Stand and Deliver - what a movie!)

I'm loggin out for a few hours - it's opening day for The lord of the rings II! (Whatever the real name is I have no idea. My daughter keeps me updated on these important matters.)

be

I'm pretty high on Robert Deniro (Loved him in Heat) Harrison Ford as Jack Ryan or Indiana Jones, Robert Duval is simply tops - who cares the role.

As for the ladies - I have to run with Ashley Judd. There's something about that girl that drives me nutty.

JB

Cary Grant, Trevor Howard, Paul Newman, Jimmy Stewart, Robert Redford, Clint Eastwood, John Malkovitch, Yul Brynner, Peter O’Toole, Jack Nicholsen, Dustin Hoffman.

Gene Tierney, Jean Simmons, Julie Christie, Sophia Loren, Michelle Pfeiffer.

Yeh, I know I’m old but I’m learning to live with it.

Oops, how could I forget Kirk Douglas - that's Michael's father, for all you young whipper-snappers.

(Edited by George D at 12:42 pm on Dec. 19, 2002)

As for the ladies - I have to run with Ashley Judd. There's something about that girl that drives me nutty.

JB- So it’s not just me?! She’s my top pick for favorite actress. Just the sound of her voice…..wow. So supremely talented and beautiful. I don’t know what it is about her…must be chemical ;) Why did she have to go and get involved with an Indy driver, when she could have been with an amateur IPSC shooter…lol!

BE- you’ve got my selections covered! Brian Dennehy was a killer and unexpected choice. He is just so consistently good. And Johnny Depp has to be one of the few actors who plays an entirely different character in each film (witness Ed Wood to Fear and Loathing….that’s range!). If you ever get a chance to see the original "Nightmare on Elm Street", you can see just how far Depp has come with his acting chops (he was shootin' in "D" class there).

I’ll have to give honorable mention to Val Kilmer, for his portrayal of both Jim Morrison and Doc Holiday  (where’s his Oscar?). Morgan Freeman rarely lets me down.

Back to the ladies….lately I’m stuck on Naomi Watts. Her "dual role" in "Mulholland Drive" left me speechless. Not to mention, she's a serious HOTTY! Julie Ann Moore is a GM too. Ellen Burstyn's in the super squad.

T2