Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Critique My Reload

Supermoto

I am new to USPSA shooting and have been practicing my reloads.

I shot a quick movie because I thought it would be the easiest way for everyone to see what I was doing and give suggestions.

From what I have read. I reload to low and move my head down as I bring the gun up. I do this on the draw also.

Any tips would be great

the movie is only 2.8 Mb so it should be fast to load, mayb faster than me ;)

www.walshimaging.com/image/drawreload.mov

My reload movie.

Edited by Jon Merricks

I'll jump in here...

Draw - look at all that movement you've got in the upper body. Your shoulders hunch, your head comes down. Your butt goes out. You want to eliminate all of that extra movement. Some people like the "butt out" stance - get there before you start, if you want to keep that. Otherwise, keep your head and shoulders still, move your arms and hands only, to the gun, and then up to the target.

Reload - a lot of extra movement here, too. Your right hand flicks the gun in, and then back out straight, and then pulls it in and way down. Your left hand goes straight to the mag, but as it's coming up to the gun watch it reach the level of the gun, and then follow the gun back *down* before you can seat it. With the level that you're reloading at, you can't really see into the mag well - and it takes extra time both to seat the mag (because you can't see) and to move the gun down there and back up.

Go watch this video of Travis Tomasie doing a reload about a jillion times - http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/travis_reload.mpg - notice how still he is, and how the gun stays up in his face? He pulls in it some, and tilts it so he can see the magwell. The left hand moves straight to the mag, and straight up to the magwell. Yes, he's lightning fast - cause he's done 8 million reloads :) But, the fundamentals are all the same - shortest paths, no wasted movement, etc... :)

Hope that helps, anyway... :)

My turn....Ok...it really doesn't look that bad...you cannot compare yours and TT's because he already had the pistol out...

There will be some movement of the upper body when you draw and reload but try to keep it at a minimum...

The thing today is to keep the pistol under the chin and bring the mag up to the canted mag well...your reload looks lots like the ones we did in the 80's where you brought the gun down to about the center of your chest, pulled your right elbow into your side to position the gun and cant the grip at the same time...

I would advise you to LOOK the mag into the hole no matter where you position the gun...that will prevent lots of bobbles in the heat of competition....

Other than those comments it is a useful reload and I would say about average in speed for a C+ or B- shooter...You will have to keep all movement to a min to get it under 1.0...and that is everyone's goal...

Hope this helps... :)

I'll jump in here...

Draw - look at all that movement you've got in the upper body. Your shoulders hunch, your head comes down. Your butt goes out. You want to eliminate all of that extra movement. Some people like the "butt out" stance - get there before you start, if you want to keep that. Otherwise, keep your head and shoulders still, move your arms and hands only, to the gun, and then up to the target.

Reload - a lot of extra movement here, too. Your right hand flicks the gun in, and then back out straight, and then pulls it in and way down. Your left hand goes straight to the mag, but as it's coming up to the gun watch it reach the level of the gun, and then follow the gun back *down* before you can seat it. With the level that you're reloading at, you can't really see into the mag well - and it takes extra time both to seat the mag (because you can't see) and to move the gun down there and back up.

Go watch this video of Travis Tomasie doing a reload about a jillion times - http://www.doublealpha.biz/images/travis_reload.mpg - notice how still he is, and how the gun stays up in his face? He pulls in it some, and tilts it so he can see the magwell. The left hand moves straight to the mag, and straight up to the magwell. Yes, he's lightning fast - cause he's done 8 million reloads :) But, the fundamentals are all the same - shortest paths, no wasted movement, etc... :)

Hope that helps, anyway... :)

Holy S*#T. I should just quit. That is so fast. I don't think I could ever practice enough to get that fast.

I don't have Apple Quicktime so I can't view your movie. I'll check it out when I get back to work in a couple of days. As tightloop pointed out, the trend is to load with the pistol at about chin or neck level. I developed the habit of loading using tightloop's 1980's description and it's hard to break, but I am working on it. I have a wmv of my reload from about a year ago (filmed to critique), but I am hesitant to post because I am not prepared for the lip I'll take about the pink shirt (no more Brokeback Mountain) and my spare tire (no middle aged fat guy remarks). Here it is. 1980's vintage reload.

The time is 1.85 seconds, the gun is a single stack 1911, the target is at spitting distance. The load ain't bad, but keep the pistol higher.

Mike, Just lik ethe other guys said, keep the gun up and see the mag in. You don't want to bobble, especially in L10 where reloads are plentiful and count for a lot.

Moreover, it is great to see we have you so hooked so soon (Mike shot his first USPSA match with us last month and did great). I know a stage with a couple mandatory reloads was suggested for the next match so you are preparing well. I'll point out some good reloaders to watch.

Steve

Everything looks good dude except that the gun is a little low. Keep it around the upper chest level during that smooth reload. Don't meet the mag halfway, ...bring that lighter magazine to the heavier gun while keeping the sights closer to where they're needed, the eyes.

Holy S*#T. I should just quit. That is so fast. I don't think I could ever practice enough to get that fast.

:lol: Well, the point wasn't to discourage anyone w/ TT's blinding speed. More that - if you want to see the mechanics of a quick reload... there ya go. Efficient. Smooth. No wasted effort. He also happens to be very quick. You could move that quick, and still be real inefficient, and end up with a slow reload, shot to shot... ;)

So, maybe don't try to be as fast as TT right out of the gate - but if you want "model form" to look at, he's a good place to start :)

If you are starting out you might be better served to take some training. There are several things I see, but depending on your body they may or may not help.

Make your draw one action, pause, and then reload, pause relaod, pause reload. Reload from all the pouches, and make each action it's own event when practicing. Then, once you have the basics down pat, add them together and start speeding up. Don't be afraid to get the motion down perfect at half speed, then speed it up. Fast doesn't matter if the form sucks.

Hey Steve

I'm hooked, no doubt about it.

During the last match, I tried to change mags when ever I had to move and wouldn't have enough rounds for the next set of targets. I think one course, you engaged 3 targets moved then engaged 3 more. I am assuming that a mag change while moving is better than static,

but what is the proper range edicate? only load 6 rounds or load full and drop a mag with rounds in it?

Hey Steve

I'm hooked, no doubt about it.

During the last match, I tried to change mags when ever I had to move and wouldn't have enough rounds for the next set of targets. I think one course, you engaged 3 targets moved then engaged 3 more. I am assuming that a mag change while moving is better than static,

but what is the proper range edicate? only load 6 rounds or load full and drop a mag with rounds in it?

I'll PM you later.

Ron..

There will be no comments about the lovely pink shirt....in fact your reload looks remarkably like mine...I too learned to pull the elbow into your side to position the pistol for each reload...and it works...I have stopped trying to change mine...I just accept the fact that it is obsolite and I am loosing some time doing it that way...I can do it on demand in 1.2 and have broken the elusive 1.0 barrier sometimes....

If you don;t miss the reload, guess it doesn't matter much.... :P

Also, look where TT has his mags on his belt vs. Supermoto. TTs mags are in a better place on the belt.

Center of belt, right above your pants zipper is technically the "shortest path" spot between the gun and your belt. However, there's plenty of evidence on this board to show that the Standard/Modified/Production/SSD point of left hip position is effectively just as fast, if you practice appropriately ;) It's worth .1 or less....

Again, focus on form - and like Scott suggests, work slow and get the form right - and the speed will come, pretty much regardless of where the equipment lives.

Anderson,

Thanks for fielding that one for me, I was thinking the same thing.

Matt,

No defeatist attitude...I don't train people that I don't think have potential.

Anyways, to the topic at hand. This is what I see from a glance:

First thing I'll tackle is the draw. You don't get a dry grip before the actual draw. Both strong and weak hand need to move down to the gun and reception point faster. A small hesitation before you take the gun out of the holster. Your balance isn't on your toes which means the gun is going to push you around a bit. When the actual gun is taken out, you form the grip in a good place, however when driving to the target your head drops a lot and your shoulders rise. The only movement during the draw should be your arms. The first 2 steps of the draw (establishing the grip and getting the weakhand on the gun) need to be done as fast as you can. Slow down a bit driving the gun to the target in order to get your sight picture as soon as possible. Remember that it doesn't matter how fast the gun gets out there...the only thing that is important is how fast it is out there ready to shoot. You can complete the draw in a half second, but if it takes you a second to find your sights, you've gained nothing.

On the reload. Your weakhand hesitates near the gun before grabbing the spare mag. You reload with the gun a little too far away from your body and also very low. It seemed like when drawing your mag you had a bit of a wierd grip on it (can't see for sure) try and make sure that you have your pointer finger indexed along the front of the mag. Try and do everything from the high ready which is basically a plane starting at your neck. Do everything from there or higher. ALWAYS make sure you look the mag into the gun. I would recommend getting the mag to the gun as fast as possible then having a slight pause just outside the magwell to confirm the orientation and direction your mag is going. That quarter of a second you pause is well worth it because done correctly, you will NEVER miss a reload.

That's what I could see off the bat. Hope it helps.

Not to just plug Steve but take a look at the videos on Steve's website. He's got a ton of videos of himself and other shooters. It's @ andersonshooting.com. Steve, I hope it's okay that I put your site here.

Jason

Well I installed Quick Time and I watched your video production. I can't help you until you gain 50 pounds and age 30 more years.

Seriously, I can offer one piece of advice that I learned the hard way. As you become a student of the sport you will run across a lot of opinions of what constitutes good technique and good form. However, you will also see National and World Champions who use techniques that don't conform to the "mold", lol. Of course, their winnning techniques are only "bad" when employed by a C or D class shooter. I believe new shooters need a place to start and the starting place should always be the techniques that are proven to work for the majority of good shooters, but never assume different techniques are the result of ignorance, and always leave the door open to explore solid alternatives that might work better for you.

BTW, you will see a lot of shooters performing sub one second reloads with the gun well below eye level. In fact there is a whole generation of older folks who must perform the reload in that fashion because they can't keep it up (the gun that is). Bifocals suck.

Edited by Ron Ankeny

It's hard for me to knock on a reload like the one Ron posted...draw 1, reload 1 in less than 2 seconds.

The proof is that THAT one was good...accurate and fast.

Beyond that, the idea is to do each and everyone with consistency...in all matches, under all conditions. I think that is where the "getting it higher and seeing it" will lend benefit.

Don't be afraid to 'explore the space'. ;)

It is like Ron said, some of us reload lower due to having to see the mag well and that is where our eyes focus... :lol: and I was not going to go there, but if it was good enough for Seyfried, and Fowler, and Campbell, it should work for me... ;)