Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Can’t Decide; Need Help… 650 Or 1050?

I’m currently looking at a Dillon XL650 or Super1050 press for loading 9mm and 40SW. I currently own a RL550B and XL650 press but need another press to achieve higher output. The press I need has to-do the following really well: <_<

1. Load 9mm Major without throwing powder all over the place (I use VV 3n37 about 8 ~ 8.4 gr) for USPSA/IPSC shoots. With this amount of power the case is about 80% full. I’m very concern about the Super 1050 after reading posts about powder being thrown all over they place due to a hard indexing issues.

2. Load standard 9mm rounds for the GSSF shoots.

3. Load lots of 9mm for practice – currently shoot about 1200 ~ 2200 rounds a month.

4. Press also will need to do 40SW loads for GSSF & IPSC shoots.

I love both my RL550 and XL650 but not sure if I want to get another XL650 or move up to a Super 1050. Also, can someone who owns a XL650 and a Super 1050 tell me which has a smoother indexing and handle pull.

All comments and suggestions are welcomed. – Thanks

PS – Going to shot show in Vegas next week… You can be dam sure I’m stopping at Dillon’s booth! :)

I’m currently looking at a Dillon XL650 or Super1050 press for loading 9mm and 40SW. I currently own a RL550B and XL650 press but need another press to achieve higher output.

From Brian's "Which Dillon?":

Should I get the 650 or the 1050?

A common question: I could probably afford the 1050, but do I really need it?

I asked this question to three friends and long-time reloaders at Dillon Precision. Their answer: If you'll only load one to three-thousand rounds per month, and plan to switch calibers from now and then to frequently - get the 650. If you plan to shoot 50,000 to 60,000 rounds a year (4,000+ rounds/month, in an attempt to dethrone The Great One), especially if don't plan to switch calibers - get the 1050. So, if caliber changes will be involved, lean toward the 650. If you don't plan to switch calibers, and would just like to set down at the machine and crank out some serious ammo when you have a few minutes - get the 1050.

One usually knows when they're ready for the 1050. If you're not sure, get the 650.

The press I need has to-do the following really well: <_<

1. Load 9mm Major without throwing powder all over the place (I use VV 3n37 about 8 ~ 8.4 gr) for USPSA/IPSC shoots. With this amount of power the case is about 80% full. I’m very concern about the Super 1050 after reading posts about powder being thrown all over they place due to a hard indexing issues.

<snip>

I love both my RL550 and XL650 but not sure if I want to get another XL650 or move up to a Super 1050. Also, can someone who owns a XL650 and a Super 1050 tell me which has a smoother indexing and handle pull.

That's why it's now the Super 1050B. The "B" indicates that it's been redesigned so that it indexes more smoothly. Clickity click.

they're about the same for me. I'm loading 38 SC with 4756 on a 1050 and I only have an 1/8" left in the case. I can't go as fast as I'd like without spilling but I can go fast enough to do 800-1000/hour taking my time, relatively.

I believe some of the 1050's index much quicker than others. Dillon should be putting whatever part slows this down in the new ones or you can get the part from them IIRC.

Get the 1050. You really won't want to reload on the 650 after you get it.

I have both a 650 and 1050B.

The 650 is a LOT less expensive to setup for quick changeover and it will continue to do all my loading...other than for my Open gun habit currently in 9mm.

1050 is smooth and fast. Priming is done on the downstroke, is much more consistent and requires no forward stroke pressure (my main reason for switch - relief to sore shoulder).

I get less powder spillage (at a higher rate) than I did on 650 - probably somewhere around 1300/hour pace. My reloading session times are able to increase.

This did require some modifications, as the 1050 is tall and designed to be operated standing up. Mine is mounted so handle is at same height as 650 mounted directly to bench. Added arm rest to bullet seating area, all so I can load seated on stool.

It has probably been said here before - the real beauty of the 1050 is not the 1300+ an hour, but the capability of 300 rounds in 15 minutes (for that "emergency match" that I just have to attend.

Edited by Sherwyn

Use the 650 for .40 and get the 1050 for your 9mm needs. For the 1050 get a Redding Competition Seating Die (the micrometer adjustable one) and an additional powder measure (and an additional rod for the Powder Check, if you use it). That way, to switch between your standard and major 9mm loads, you simply dial it to the length you need (record this, obviously) and swap powder measures (and swap PC rods).

I have an old 1050 with extra tool heads with powder measures. The last time I switched from 9mm, small primers, to .45 ACP with large primers it only took 23 minutes. And that was with some cleaning and lubing. B) If you don't change primer size it will only take about 10 minutes to change caliber.

Being a revolver shooter, I love that I can seat every primer just right. No high primers for me. ;)

I started with a 550, then a 650, now a 1050 (have all 3 right now).

The 1050 is a HUGE improvement over the 650 in quality, feel, loading rate, etc.

Takes longer to change calibers, no big deal.

I'm going to sell my 650 at some point and buy a 2nd 1050, keeping the 550 for .308.

Since you mention 9mm I have to say get the 1050. I have both and have my 1050 setup for .45 and the 650 for 9mm and wish I had the 1050 kit for 9mm. When you pickup range brass there always seems to be a few military crimped primers in the bunch. If you use the 1050, swedging the primer pockets is one of the stations so no big deal, on the 650 it screws up the whole deal and you end up having to re-index everything to get cranking again and zap, here comes another to tick you off.

Currently reloading 9MM Major on my 650XL......I will get a 1050 sometime later this year....since my wife will also shoot Open and that is a lot of time sitting in front of my press, I'm hoping to get a smoother operation and perhaps a little faster in the process...

Hey guys!

Just got back from the Shot Show in Vegas and had a great time, what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas :) . OK, stopped by Dillon and talked with the boys and made up my mind. IT’S A RL1050B ALL THE WAY. I made one mistake though, stopped at GSI booth that makes the bullet feeder for the 650 & 1050. I’ll have it in 6 – 8 weeks so I need to order that RL1050B from Brian ASAP, it will make him happy!

Thanks for all the input and help! Let you all know how it goes setting everything up including the bullet feeder, will take pictures and post.

Merlin,

Is that the way Dillon ships that press? If so, it will never make to the East Coast with UPS or FedEx handling it.

Top, I'm pretty sure that's one Merlin bought used. And yes, Dillon uses appropriate inserts and packing materials for shipping. Even my UPS man wasn't able to screw it up (although he may not have been giving it his effort).

ima45dv8,

10-4, 10-4 on the UPS Gorilla man. You must have the same guy. Here is his MO - Truck pulls up on my stone driveway, back doors fling open and out come my delivery. He then backs up over my package, throws the truck into drive (Runs over my package for the seconded time) and takes off laughing. That SOB….