Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Eaa/tanfoglio Gold Custom

BritinUSA

Wow that is nice. That's the 2nd Gold team with long dustcover I've seen, is that an factory option now? Is it 38 Supercomp?

Anyway, used to be 3 knocks against Tanfoglio which was 1. Steel too hard 2. Guns too heavy 3. Can't get the mags under the Brady Law.

Congress fixed one, Grams took care of another. Cool. Probably shoots flat as a pancake.

I certainly hope so, I haven't shot a match for 3 months so I may be a little rusty. I haven't even sighted it in yet. :D

Wow that is nice. That's the 2nd Gold team with long dustcover I've seen, is that an factory option now? Is it 38 Supercomp?

Anyway, used to be 3 knocks against Tanfoglio which was 1. Steel too hard 2. Guns too heavy 3. Can't get the mags under the Brady Law.

Congress fixed one, Grams took care of another. Cool. Probably shoots flat as a pancake.

I's .38 Super, a small adjustment to the extractor (removed 0.005) to work with .38 SuperComp brass. This is a factory gun. The only two add-ons were the Docter Scope and the thumb rest.

$1300 for the base gun, mags are about $30 each (including the nifty base pads).

Paul, It looks great!

I shot Henning's last summer as he came to our Nationals, it's definitely a sweet gun that's for sure. With 124's and SP2 it was awesome. I am going to be piecing together another Tanfoglio Open gun this year and I am giving some thought to the Dr. as my sight of choice. Canada now has a Tanfoglio distributor, so I think the popularity of these guns may start to grow here. You can't beat the price, and the new Tanfoglio's have come along ways from the P9's that we used in the past.

Wow pretty attractive price to get into open. Any problems as far as reliability out of the box? 30 dollars for mags?

Shooting my first match tomorrow so I'll let you know about reliability. As with all guns once the load is right (OAL etc.) then it should work all the time. The mags (20 rounds) are $20 and the aluminium base pads are $10 each. The pads alone look like they would cost $30, they are really neat. These pads are mandatory for the new mag well that comes with this gun.

Shot it today for the first time. I had a couple of failure to feed, looks like some of my rounds are hitting the feed ramp, but as the match progressed the number of failures dropped considerably. The gun had less than 30 rounds through it before the match, so 4 failures in the first 2 stages is not too bad. The last stages went well.

I sighted in at about 20 metres, offhand. Got the groups down to about 2 inches which is pretty good considering it was blowing a gale at the range. I was able to get the dot pretty close to the ideal place by setting up the scope at home. I just removed the firing pin and sighted through the hole, down the barrel and lined up the dot with what I could see through the firing pin hole. I was off to the right by about 1.5 inches... :D

The gun was dragging on the holster a little (it's a Speedsec 5). I thought it might be the surface inside the holster but it looks like a little too much tension on the pin that the locking mechanism rotates on. I just slackened this screw a little and it feels much better now.

• 4 weeks later...

I thought I'd post an update, just for the record in case someone searches for this type of info.

The cause of the failure to feed was the thumb rest. When I rest my thumb on it I was pushing up on the slide stop, just enough to cause it to drag. I removed some metal from inside to stop that happening. The same kind of stuff I used to do on my SVI to stop the slide locking back.

Reliability has been great, I've had a few light strikes, Eric G. recommends using CCI small pistol primers. I have been using Winchester small rifle but as the load it not too hot I should be able to use the pistol primers instead so that should solve that problem. I am hearing that Winchester primers are a tad hard.

So it's working great and now I just have to get used to it. I keep fumbling reloads, when I don't think about the reload it's really fast but as soon as my conscious gets involved my mags start flying all over the place.... Obviously need some more dry fire.

The Speedsec5 holster that I was using seems to drag on the draw. The problem is the trigger guard of the gun. It's metal and it's sharp, so it digs into the platsic unless I draw the gun straight up. This is not always possible with some of the more esoteric start positions that we have had of late. I have ordered a Safariland 012 from Brian's store (a little more expensive than elsewhere but I'm happy to support the site), so I'll see if that holster provides a more reliable draw.

• 5 weeks later...
I have ordered a Safariland 012 from Brian's store, so I'll see if that holster provides a more reliable draw.

The holster arrived, it seems to hold the gun securely and does not drag on the draw at all. There's plenty of adjustment for angles etc. (as one would expect from Safariland).

One problem though; The muzzle cap does not fit the compensator. The newly designed Tanfoglio/EAA Open gun is a tad wider than the earlier versions. I intend to use the Arredono muzzle platform anyway so it's not a show-stopper for me.

I emailed Safariland - no reply yet - to let them know about the change in gun design.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Very nice but why Doctor sight?

I can't use a C-More, just can't get used to them. I like the Docter sight because it sits very low to the bore. It's point of aim at 2 metres to 40 metres. It's very light and the work that Bevan Grams does to the scope makes it very reliable.i

I'm really wanting to try one... too bad I can't afford one.

As for the long dust cover they produced them like that for about one year.. most people don't like them that way, including Henning and Eric i think once you add a scope mount and all it makes them very very heavy the doctor however is much lighter

Glad you like it!!!

Steve

I'm really wanting to try one... too bad I can't afford one.

As for the long dust cover they produced them like that for about one year.. most people don't like them that way, including Henning and Eric i think once you add a scope mount and all it makes them very very heavy the doctor however is much lighter

Glad you like it!!!

Steve

• 1 year later...