Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Help Me Build A Jp Rifle

PistolPete

I've decided to take the plunge and buy an AR and I want to do this right. I have 2 options.

1.) Buy a Bushmaster and throw money into it to get it where I want

or:

2.) Build a JP Rifle and never look back!!!

The decision for me is easy. Build a JP Rifle. What I want to know is what does everyone recommend for a setup?

I called JP today and talked with John. He was such a nice gun and extremely friendly and helpful. I'm new to the Rifle game and need all the help I can get. I will be using this gun for IPSC 3 gun eventually but until I get up to speed will be used for mostly practice. Here is what JP recommended:

18" Lightweight or Ultra Lightweight barrel w/ Benni Coli comp.

Low Mass Stainless Steel Carier

Armalight Scope Mount

Short Range Tactical sight

1/8 Butt stock

He then recommended that I add a Leopold 2x7 or 3x9 scope.

I will prob. spend the extra $500 and get the milled receiver as well even though I don't need it.

Does this sound like the right setup or should I consider something else? After talking with them I'm guessing this is the best setup for me. Keep in mind that I'm totally new to rifle. I had an AR years ago but didn't shoot it much so lets say I'm totally new to this part of the game.

Thanks,

Pete

That's a fine setup, especially with the upgrade on the upper.

Myself, I would either go with a Trijicon ACOG (TA11, or JP reticle TA-01) or a low powered variable like the Leupold CQT or a Leupold 1.5-5x.

I'm trying to figure out exactly what the rifle I want to buy is. I hate buying something sight unseen. I know the JP Rifles are prob. the best out there so I'm not worried about that. I've got everything figured out with what I want for this rifle except for the receiver. I was thinking of buying the milled receiver but haven't been able to find any info or pictures with this receiver. Does anyone have any pics of this receiver?

try looking at the JP website at www.jprifles.com There should be some pics on there for sure.

i had mentioned a 2x7 or a 3x9 scope......IF.....you go with the short range tactical sight. Otherwise, a great scope would be something in the 1.5x4 power range. I understand that Simmons pro diamond is a nice scope to look at, although I've looked thru one.

Tim

Here's what JP suggested and built for me. It's pretty much the same as what they suggested you, I just added the rest.

18" UL barrel with Bennie Cooley comp.

Stainless Low Mass Operating System.

Short Range Tactical Sight.

I added risers on the SRT sight because it's too low for me.

The Surefire on the other side of the handguard is just for kicks and it's removeable.

Can't be happier...maybe a CTR02 ;)

post-3273-1138870288_thumb.jpg

I like my 18" JP mid weight with the Cooley comp as recomended by JP. Mine has a mil-type upper but I have been playing with a buddies CTR-02 upper and love it.

A little bit of weight up front helps me to stabilize the offhand shots, it speeds up multiples and does not seem to slow down transitions. Plus I hate long shot strings with ultra light weight barrels the exra metal seems to take the heat better.

The CTR lower is trick but cost?? It is sweet. But you can save some cash with a milspeck lower and upgrade later if you want a matching lower. I would love to have a complete rifle in CTR-02 gray.

The lightweight stainless steel carrier system is the new standard.

Be sure to get the JP trigger package and not the drop in, it is much nicer.

I noticed your in the Northeast, if your matches are like ours down South a Red dot like an Eotech may is faster. I tried several scope sights and found the Eotech fastest for our fast close in rifle stages using pistol bays.

I like an old A1 stock but am going to retrofit one of my Magpul stocks and try out. The Magpul trigger guard is a great upgrade. As for grips try them all, some like Hoges I like falcon sure grip Ergo.

John Pauls rifles set the bar in the sport , listen to him.

Here is my 2 cents worth. Buy a JP now or buy a JP later.

18inch ultrlight barrel

Short range sight

JP handguard system

Cooley comp

Low mass carrier system. I prefer the ultr-light low mass system as the effect on recoil is amazing.

JP fire contol system

Trijicon TR21 1.24-4x24

tactical latch

Whatever kind of stock feels right.

If you want to save some money, then DPMS upper and lower. (They too support the sport)

I reccomend the ultralight barrel because by the time you put the short range sight, comp, and JP handguard on the gun you are back to a front end heavy gun.

I like the Trijicon because a 300 yard plate is just hard to hit with a dot, and a 25 yard target is hard to find with only 4x manigication and risky for the the short range sight. However, I am 43 so it could just be me. Taran Butler I think uses a Trijicon.

Edited by ap3

Do what John says is the best advice. He makes the damn things!

My personal preference is for the mid weight barrels, the ultralight feels to flimsy for ME, the guy who started on an M1A and shoots an FAL half the time. 18 inch for a scoped gun, 20 inch for a limited. 1 in 8 twist if you want to shoot 75/77gr bullets, otherwise a 1 in 9.

I would not use the JP short range sight if I was going to rely on a variable scope. BUT if I was going to rely on an ACOG I would have one.

Get the Cooley comp unless you're dedicated to the Open division.

Buying a DPMS, DSA, Cav Arms, Sabre lower (support those who support us)and installing a JP or Accuracy Speaks trigger is a good way to save some coin.

The low mass steel bolt carrier works well in one of my JP uppers while a normal weight bolt carrier is in my other JP upper. I can feel the difference but I don't the shoot the low mass carrier any faster. I did use the low mass carrier at the 2005 3 Gun nats.

I like an A1 stock (with my wife's name carved on it) with an Accuracy Speaks adjustable butt plate. Don't carve my wife's name in your stock.

The Armalite scope mount is good but I like the Larue better.

I hvae heard that repeatedly mounting and unmounting a LaRue scope mount will result in wear on the upper receiver where the cam makes contact when you lock it down, with the ultimate outcome being a loose mount. The Armalite uses a rail which runs the entire length of the mount for the contact surface, with no "Wear points".

I hvae heard that repeatedly mounting and unmounting a LaRue scope mount will result in wear on the upper receiver where the cam makes contact when you lock it down, with the ultimate outcome being a loose mount. The Armalite uses a rail which runs the entire length of the mount for the contact surface, with no "Wear points".

Thanks Rob,

That's just what I wanted to hear after ordering one of those expensive LaRues yesterday. :)

I'm a fan of the 4 power ACOG/Short Range Tac Sight combo. The front post in the Short Range Tac Sight needs replacing with one of the ultra skinny National Match Front Posts though --- then it's easily good to 40 yards or so. Me on the other hand, well that's another story.....

I'd follow JP's recommendations --- in fact I did.

As far as color goes, I picked Blue. Since choosing a color seems to be difficult for you, you could always just ask JP to surprise you....... :lol::lol:

Just get the JP already. I accumulated 4 other AR's before taking the plunge. Now I have 4 AR's that just sit in the safe.

I ended getting a CTR02 with the ultralight barrel. I also got the ACOG w/ the short range tactical sight combo. I ended up using the flattop adapter for the ACOG because it sat too low for me using the integral mount. Actually, I have been using an Aimpoint lately because most of the matches we have in the NE are under 100 yards.

After shooting the JP, going back to a BM M4 with a mini-y comp just gives me a headache.

I don't know how many times I have to learn the hard way in this sport - Buy once, buy right.

Just to give everyone the heads up this is what I ended up ordering:

I ordered the CTR-02 rifle

w/ 18" lightweight barrel (JP recommended this for my shooting experience etc.)

Bennie Cooley comp

Low Mass SS carrier

JPBRS buttstock

JP short range tactical sight

I bought the rifle in BLACK but added a red heat sink

Now in 6-8 weeks I'll have a new toy... :lol:

Thanks for all your help.

Pete

I will prob. spend the extra $500 and get the milled receiver as well even though I don't need it.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete, I really think you ought to send me $500 as well. Not that you really need to, but I think it might make both of us feel better. :D

Oh, and do carve Kelly's wife's name into your stock. Other top shooters do, so there must be something to that.

Oh, and do carve Kelly's wife's name into your stock. Other top shooters do, so there must be something to that.

With my luck I will try carving my wifes name in the stock and I would take just a little too much material off and then when I go to shoot the rifle the stock will break in a sharp piece and stab me in the shoulder. I think I'll leave it alone. lol

You're going to love the JP.

Just get the JP already. I accumulated 4 other AR's before taking the plunge. Now I have 4 AR's that just sit in the safe.

That's funny. I tend to pamper my JP. It's fairly low round count, sees good ammo, I don't heat it up too much. My other ARs see more abuse, a lot more rounds, the abuse of the ITRC gulley course (which is about the most fun I've had shooting), they see the sometimes crappy reject ammo (xm193pd), don't get cleaned as often or as well. Same as kids, pick the one you like and shower it with love, use the rest for slave labor! :P

You're going to love the JP.

That's funny. I tend to pamper my JP. It's fairly low round count, sees good ammo, I don't heat it up too much. My other ARs see more abuse, a lot more rounds, the abuse of the ITRC gulley course (which is about the most fun I've had shooting), they see the sometimes crappy reject ammo (xm193pd), don't get cleaned as often or as well. Same as kids, pick the one you like and shower it with love, use the rest for slave labor! :P

That's funny John. I'm not saying the JP doesn't get pampered. But it's the only one I use in matches. If I want to do mag dumps using South African battlepacks, it's obviously back to one of the others. Although, I think doing the mag dumps with an AK is just as soothing, but cheaper and I really don't care much about the gun.

After the horror stories, I don't think I'd ever bring a JP to the ITRC match. I think I'd plan on just bringing disposable guns for that one.