Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Legalizing Thigh Holsters In Uspsa?

Religious Shooter

What do you think the possibility is of USPSA legalizing thigh holsters for civilians in pistol-only matches?

It is now legal in muti-gun but AFAIK it's not legal in pistol-only matches. I want to be able to use just one holster (a thigh holster) for all USPSA matches (multi-gun and pistol-only).

Other than it looking too tactical or too military-like what exactly is the reasoning behind the current rule?

The "no thigh rig" rule is a vestige of the old days. Back then, a lot of competitors were coming into IPSC from cowboy quick draw. They used (still do, as far as I know) low-slung holsters tied to the leg. IPSC (i.e Jeff Cooper) wanted something a liitle more everyday-carry oriented, so the old-timers bit the bullet and obsoleted their expensive, steel-lined drop holsters. (About a day before I was going to shell out big bucks for one. Glad I got that memo.)

Is that relevant in today's enviroment, where every soldier or Marine we see in Iraq-istan has either a thigh holster or a holster mounted on his vest? Probably not. If we do allow tactical thigh rigs, what's to keep someone from figuring a way to bolt a race holster to a thigh plate, and calling it a "tactical competition holster?" Do we care?

One thing is for sure, such a holster probably gives the "daily carry/CCW/origins of the sport" crowd vapor lock.

One thing is for sure, such a holster probably gives the "daily carry/CCW/origins of the sport" crowd vapor lock.

Hehe .. funny stuff.

Though do the "trigger guard only" hoslters have anything to do with reality? Heck, the divisions that care (Production, SS) already limit that stuff. The rest have left "daily carry/CCW/origins of the sport" at grandma's house and wonder off into the woods never to be seen again.

At least the rule does keep the SWAT wannabee look away from the sport.

I would imagine if the rule was changed you'd see a Limcat(or similar) thigh rig the next day.

I don't have a problem with them being allowed. Chair/table starts would be very interesting to watch. There's a chance a competitor forgetting to unlock his wannabe holster (race version) could actually pull himself off his feet.

Koenig shoots the Steel Challenge with something that's close to a thigh-rig.. a Safariland race holster with a long-drop extension on it. I would expect more of that if the gun-butt-must-be-at-belt-level rule were relaxed. I think a lot of lady shooters would prefer more drop without needing an extra pair of belt loops.

I would imagine if the rule was changed you'd see a Limcat(or similar) thigh rig the next day.

That'd be me. :)

Koenig shoots the Steel Challenge with something that's close to a thigh-rig.. a Safariland race holster with a long-drop extension on it. I would expect more of that if the gun-butt-must-be-at-belt-level rule were relaxed. I think a lot of lady shooters would prefer more drop without needing an extra pair of belt loops.
From the surender start it would be a long way to your gun.

See shred's post... Koenig seems to do alright with it.