Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Thigh Holster Recommendations?

Had fun today at a carbine class literally rolling around in the mud and rain. Unfortunately I had a yard sale with my magazines. The class didn't require a handgun, but if I had used my Ky-Tac holster I'm not too sure it would have retained the gun. Running with the Ky-Tac and normal movement is OK but rolling around is another thing.

I can get a hip holster with a retention strap but I figure I might as well go for a thigh version since it is now legal in USPSA Multi-Gun and of course I wanna fit in with the rest of the mall ninjas in future classes. Soooo I'm looking for a thigh holster with some kind of retention strap.

I'm not at all familiar with the thigh holster offerings. I did a search and the 6004/5 Safariland looks to be a contender.

I saw these other holsters but I'm not too sure the strap systems they have are as fast at the Safariland holsters.

Spec Ops Brand Vapor Holster

Blade Tech

Are there any other holsters out there? Or is the Safariland 6004/5 just clearly the best choice?

That is an interesting post Sinistral...thanks. Those issues (in the link) have not occurred to me, although I dont really find it that disturbing. Most cops dont shoot well enough to commit suicide...so it's not surprising that they cant keep their fingers out of the trigger guard either...

You do have to design to the lowest common denominater...

A valid critisizm is weak hand drawing, not an issue for us here, but it could be in the real world. The screws on the back are stout enough for just about any use, but I can see how they might break if a couple of room temp IQ cops decide the best way to get a piece out of a malfing holster is pull on it as hard as they can...

I have used one with a G35 and one with a P16-40 in 3Gun and USPSA for two years without an issue. YMMV.

Best regards,

T

Do you have a picture of your creation?

What was wrong with the 6004 leg rig? Too rigid?

I like the Spec Ops modular leg rigs and VAPOR holster rigs better because they only have one strap that goes around your leg, and two suspender straps.

The single leg strap allows me to have the holster sit higher more comfortably.

The dual suspender straps keep the thigh rig from shifting around as much, especially during aggressive movement.

here's one:

CBSM-02.jpg

another easier option for the same result is SOB modular leg rig + diamondback tactical safariland MOLLE adapter + safariland duty holster.

I'll get some pics of that later...

Thordog, my main concern from what I read was the ability for debris to block the mechanism that releases the hold on the pistol. I suppose this is possible with any retention design, it just seems like it could happen more easily with the Serpa.

Edited by SinistralRifleman

I wear the 6004 for duty and think they are good rigs, however I use the Blade-tech with the drop attachment( commonly known as the womens model) for competition. I have shot some very physical matches and have never had a problem with the Blade-tech. Personally I don't think it matters how tight you strap the thigh rigs down they still move, and when trying to draw on the run I feel that I'm searching for the gun.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm looking for a vendor that sells the 6004/5 for "cheap."

I need a type 56 for my SVI. The only vendor on the net that I've seen that lists a 6004 56 is Copsplus for $107.00.

...BE doesn't list 6004's ...Diamondback Tactical doesn't list a 56 ...Cactus Tactical doesn't list 6004's.

Any other vendor out there I should check out?

Input from Iraq.

I have been wearing a Safarliand 6004 for my Beretta for the last 9 months in Iraq. The 6004 is certainly the most common thigh rig that I have seen over here. The various nylon Blackhawk rigs are next in popularity. The SpecOps thigh holsters are sold through PX as are the 6004s. I am starting to see the new Blackhawk CQC holsters also.

I like the 6004 and that is what I wear outside the wire with my IBA. It is fast and secure. It is very easy to re-holster which is important when you are constantly clearing your weapon (long story - ask any OIF/OEF vet).

Note that a 6004 is infamous for wearing a hole in your pants when you wear it every day such as in OIF. Also, blocks that thigh pocket.

Thread drift. I wear a CEN-DEX Storm holster, two mag pouches, and a wilderness belt when I am not on patrol. Also, this is my Production Rig. The CEN-DEX set-up is extremely comfortable and they made it in Desert Sand color for me.

I have not ever used a thigh holster, but thought I'd share something I recently saw.

I was at a non-USPSA 2-gun (rifle/pistol) match, and most of the "regulars" were all wearing the latest in tacti-cool gear. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Most of the stages required a transition somewhere mid-stage. I remember watching one guy trying to draw from his thigh holster while running to a forward position. It seemed ackward, as the gun moved back and forth with his leg while he ran. It seems drawing on the run from a waist-mounted holster is much easier.

I also agree that the thigh rig serves a purpose and that is to clear an IBA, vest, etc. A more traditional waist holster is faster, etc. but I cannot easily access my belt holster when I am wearing an IBA loaded with magamzines, first aid kits, etc.

Another issue with thigh holsters is the manner in which people wear them. Too many people wear them as low as possible where they are swinging just above the knee. I wear my thigh holster as high as possible while clearing my vest.

When I am not wearing my IBA, I wear my traditional belt holster.

Another option is to wear the holster on the vest itself.