Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm Major

Randall

I am currently shooting a 9mm major in open gun in USPSA. I have not had any trouble with the gun and was wondering if anyone else out there is shooting 9mm major also ??

Well, hello there. It's nice to see somebody starting a thread by saying that everything is great with their 9mm Major. Very refreshing.

Yes, quite a few of "us" shoot 9mm Major by "choice". Myself included.

Can you tell us about the object of your admiration? Maybe even a picture?

Had my Open gun rebarrelled for 9mm Major from 38 Super. There were a few bugs to work out initially but after that, it has been smooth sailing. I am having more fun shooting it as a 9mm than I ever did as a Super. Cheaper to shoot too.

Craig

I am currently shooting a 9mm major in open gun in USPSA. I have not had any trouble with the gun and was wondering if anyone else out there is shooting 9mm major also ??

Well, hello there. It's nice to see somebody starting a thread by saying that everything is great with their 9mm Major. Very refreshing.

Yes, quite a few of "us" shoot 9mm Major by "choice". Myself included.

Can you tell us about the object of your admiration? Maybe even a picture?

The gunsmith who built my gun is Hayden Oliver. And his email address is: olivergun@peoplepc.com

Feel free to write him with whatever questions you have.

Here is a few of the goodies;

STI frame

Caspian slide

Schueman hybrid barrel 5"

Beddel comp 7 port

Aftec

Alchin mount

C more

most internal are Ed Brown

Hayden researched the project for a month before he even picked up a file.

If anyone wants a gun built, please email him and he will give you his phone number.

I will have pics in a day or two.

Randall

I am running a 9 Major Glock 17 (The poor man's open gun) and it is a blast. Welcome to the world of high pressure.

Mine is not HIGH pressure. My barrel was throated to release pressure. And the hybrid barrel has 4 hybrid ports. I use SP primers and HS7 powder and don't get ANY signs of pressure. But you have to load long.

Randall,

I am sorry if you took my coment as a dig on you or your gun it certainly was not meant that way. What I was trying to say is that any of us that are running a 9mm up to major power factors are pushing that little cartridge up to pressures that it was never designed for. That doesn't mean that it can't be done safely as a lot of us are doing it but it is still a high pressure round at major power factors.

I shot about 10k rounds on my open gun 9mm bedell shorty, the gun is great but be careful

with your brass, I had a case separation(twice) in the Philippine Nationals last month.

I've been using mixed once fired brass ever since I started shooting 9mm w/o any problem, so I dont know what happened. anyway no damage to the gun and the pf was 168.

Chris,

Do you know where I can find the 9mm +p+ specs?

Apparently there are no +P+ specs. SAAMI standards for 9x19 are 35,000 psi standard,

38,500 psi +P. +P+ is "generally accepted" as 15% above +P, or in this case 44,275 psi.

I'm pushing a 124 at 1380 out of a Glock 17 open gun, using a pile of HS7, OAL of 1.150. Even if it is within the +P+ pressure specs, it's still a high pressure round for a handgun!

When Bam Bam, RKGsmith and I put the second proposal together to actually do away with the 1.250 OAL restriction there was no +p+ spec. I'm not even going to venture a guess at the pressure some of the glock guys are pushing I load mine long to keep pressure more reasonable. 9 major is much easier in a 2011 style gun due to the ability to load long and still work in the mags. Of course the pressure issue is there in thing except .45 acp. Some guys are blowing .40 with too fast a burn rated powder. Like anything else use common sense and if you blow your hand off well i guess YOU screwed up just don't try to blame somebody else for it.

A big reason they allowed 9mm major after taking a second look, was the chrono testing we did. There was a hot factory load (law enforcement only, but STILL a factory load) that made major out of a 5-1/2" barrel. Most 9mm specs are deceiving because the load data references a 4" barrel.

It was a silly old rule that made no sense to require a set 1.250" OAL. Not to say the pressures aren't high... but its every bit as safe in every way as a similarly loaded 9x21 which was always OK in open.

i thought +P+ had no pressure limits normally accepted by SAAMI...and ive also heard its 43500 psi by the lab technician at accurate arms.

all that being said, i cant wait to get mine...only a few more days.

isnt hs7 filthy though?

i thought +P+ had no pressure limits normally accepted by SAAMI...and ive also heard its 43500 psi by the lab technician at accurate arms.

all that being said, i cant wait to get mine...only a few more days.

isnt hs7 filthy though?

HS7 is slighly dirty, but it's not gritty. You gun will easily run all weekend without cleaning it. And even then, just wipe down real quick and re-oil with Mobil 1.

power pistol seems to be a real option here, max book load out of a 4 inch barrel is only 100 fps off major. an extra half grain and inch of barrel should get us there with room to spare...(and still keep pressures under 50kpsi)

http://recipes.alliantpowder.com/rg.taf?_f...D=22&powderID=8

i would hate to try HS7 and like it...then what, have to buy a 5 year supply?

I am just getting into open class and I must say, it is a blast shooting a 9mm para/caspian/jpoint gun. I am shooting 147FP with 5.7 grs Alliant powder pistol at 1125 aol 1.180 man is it cool :D

Edited by usmc1974

Contrary to internet rumours and myths,

NO BREAKAGE here with mine..

Caspian Commander Slide, not a cut down 5"

(have broken three links, but Irv, Gary and myself are of the opinion there is a gremlin that is out of spec, has nothing to do with Major 9 .)

Alan