Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hirtenberger Sub Gun Ammo

Harmon

with my new major neener pistol expected by the end of the month, im looking at this hirtenberger sub gun ammo as a easy way to get some ready loaded 9mm major ammo to put up for when i dont have time or feel like loading any ammo.

I assume it will make maj0r in a 5 inch gun...as i think i remember 9major-caspian say it makes major in his 4.5 inch 9mm.

Is this stuff clean? or loaded with HS6 or the likes?

I guess im gonna have to get a case to try... :D

Edited by harmongreer

Bought a case. Burns fairly clean, doesn't smell very good [compared to SP2 or Viht], pretty loud, hits my hand pretty hard.

PRIMERS are an issue - hard as H**L to set off, much harder than CCI small rifle. Very good quality brass and bullets.

Made 161pf in my Open Glock - 5.1" KKM barrel and 3 blowholes.

As with any factory, you gets what you get as to how much the muzzle will flip and how it feels in your hand. But it is always nice to know in a pinch what will work.

Another option to try is the 127gr JHP +p+ ranger ammo from Winchester. Rob Leatham claims it will make major out of his open gun. It is a little more pricey than the hirtenberger but again it is always nice to have options.

Case in point, Indoor match tonight, sat down to load ammo last night and broke the ram shoulder bolt on my RCBS Auto 4x4. So knowing what else I can use is a plus at thie moment. BTW I have had the RCBS Auto 4x4 since 88 or 89 and this is the first part breakage. Already called RCBS and new bolt is on the way

Alan

As with any factory, you gets what you get as to how much the muzzle will flip and how it feels in your hand. But it is always nice to know in a pinch what will work.

Another option to try is the 127gr JHP +p+ ranger ammo from Winchester. Rob Leatham claims it will make major out of his open gun. It is a little more pricey than the hirtenberger but again it is always nice to have options.

Case in point, Indoor match tonight, sat down to load ammo last night and broke the ram shoulder bolt on my RCBS Auto 4x4. So knowing what else I can use is a plus at thie moment. BTW I have had the RCBS Auto 4x4 since 88 or 89 and this is the first part breakage. Already called RCBS and new bolt is on the way

Alan

Do you have a source for the Ranger ammo? Winchester usually reserves it for law enforcement only.

Do you have a source for the Ranger ammo? Winchester usually reserves it for law enforcement only.

This guy jwkpatrick@yahoo.com sells it, bought a bunch from him just a couple of weeks ago, everything went fine.

Per THIS post the 127gr +P+ stuff is $18/box of 50 plus shipping.

I'm guessing a 19 or 20-lb mainspring & long FP would set off the Hirtenberger pretty well but I shot mine thru a Glock so I don't know. My STI is a 38super.

I gave Sandro [senna] a box to try in his Limcat SV 9x19 so maybe he can say yes or no. If you see me at a match in central FL and shoot Major 9, just ask, I'll probably have a box of the stuff in the trunk of my car.

Edited by eric nielsen

my gun has a dawson hyperdrive firing pin and a 17 pound mainspring..Extreme engineering trigger group..i think it should set em off.

I work at the local sheriffs office, LE only ammo is easy to get.

wonder what winchester loads that SXT load with? i figure its gonna be super slow and really dense.

they seem pretty clean in my glock...

Harmon,

I am trying to find out what Wincheseter is using in the 127gr +P+ SXT Ranger load. I have pulled one apart and the charge weighed ~7.5gr. It is not that dense as there is a ton of room left in the case. I did not use a kinetic pullet puller so I was able to look in the case and observe the powder level.

Alan

its a good possibility that is WSF or HS6 or something very similar.

Probably WSF though....

it would be neat if they made a "white box" version to sell to IPSC shooters.

im gonna try some WSF with 135 grain zeros...and some HS6 too.

power pistol fills a 9mm case up a bit at 7.5 grians.

thats my major 38 super load...out of MY gun it goes 1390 fps with a precision delta 124.

alan, you should try you some power pistol...it feels pretty good in my super..

I sent an email through Winchester's site. Wonder if it could be 296.

This propellant was developed for Winchester factory loaded ammunition for 357 magnum, 44 magnum and 410 bore. Its high loading density provides optimal velocity. 296 is widely accepted as the standard for 410 bore shotshell. However, 296 is not suitable for most rifle cartridges.

296 is H-110 from what everybody says. I'm guessing it'll take a lot more than 7.5gr of H110 to push a 127gr 9mm to Major

Ah. Well, my first question was "what's the powder?" and my second was "is it available commercially?" Guess we'll see either mañana or Wednesday.