Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

OAL with 9mm RMR HP's?

Was loading Coated RN 124's to 1.135, that's seems to be way too long with the RMR's to feed in my guns.  I only have 1K and I'll be going back to RN 125's but I'd like to get these loaded up for Practice ammo at least....

Loaded up a test batch at with 1.35 OAL and they were "jam o'matic" in the Glock and the Canik 9mm's...  Shape of the OGIVE is completely different so I'm not really surprised.  Hoping somebody here is loading this bullet and will share...😁 

CCC2FD02-A39E-4973-9865-CD1AD9C8CB41.thumb.jpeg.ab491f656361233f8f8415c8584f6d6e.jpeg

Yep they are a bit chubby, don’t have my data right here but I think I’m right at 1.095 and they shoot great. Like above, just fit them to your gun. 

8 hours ago, shred said:

Every chamber is different. Finding max OAL should always be the first step in developing a load.  The procedure quoted above is the best way to start.

4 hours ago, savagemann said:

1.07-1.08" was the consensus that I found when researching this last year.

I used 1.075"

But as mentioned, do the plunk test.

Thanks that is what I was looking for... 

To everyone, I'm well familiar with the "Plunk Test".  I've only got 1K of these and don't want to burn a bunch without a starting point that worked for someone. 😉

45 minutes ago, Chutist said:

To everyone, I'm well familiar with the "Plunk Test".  I've only got 1K of these and don't want to burn a bunch without a starting point that worked for someone. 😉

If you're familiar with the plunk test and how to determine max OAL then you wouldn't need to "burn a bunch". Load a complete round long and keep shortening it on the press until it plunks and spins in your barrel(s). Little to no flare works best. No components wasted, not even the one that was used to determine the max OAL. 😉

53 minutes ago, Chutist said:

only takes one bullet to get OAL right.. shorten it till it plucks then take off another .01 

From my days of shooting Major PF ammo out of a glock in open... Glock mags have a max OAL of 1.155. You will run into feeding issues with anything longer than that. 

3 hours ago, Chutist said:

No problem.  1.075" worked good in my glocks and P365.

Pressure spiked a little higher when trying to use a familiar load, as would be expected with such a shorter OAL.

Had to back the powder down a little on my BE86 loads.

11 hours ago, Chutist said:

Umm, you don't burn any in a plunk test.

20 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Umm, you don't burn any in a plunk test.

And you can build rounds that plunk and don't feed....

There are many factors in a reloaded round. 

Fitting in the chamber is just ONE.

I was really just looking for someone with a starting length for that bullet.

Now I'm so sorry I asked.... 

I'll leave you guys too it. 

1 hour ago, 4n2t0 said:

Here's my process.

Step 1. Buy the bullets I want

Step 2. Look up load data on the interwebs

Step 3. Take ONE bullet, load it, keep stuffing it down in the case until it plunks

Step 4. Use my kinetic bullet puller to salvage the aforementioned bullet

Step 5. Utilized the load data from the interwebs, and load a dozen rounds

Step 6. Function fire them over my chrono

Step 7. Make any necessary adjustments to either powder or OAL

Step 8. Go out for lunch