Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Dots, back up irons, and co nats

2 hours ago, Neex said:

Yeah, having backup irons is crucial, especially in high-stakes matches like nats. Those mikes can really hurt your score. It's tough to say how much higher he could've placed with backups, but 45 points is definitely a big gap in rankings. 

What percentage of high level CO shooters are using co witness back up irons? I don't see many shooters in USPSA with them.

3 hours ago, MHicks said:

What percentage of high level CO shooters are using co witness back up irons? I don't see many shooters in USPSA with them.

That was kind of my point when I started this thread. Maybe they should. I don't really believe it would help with a dot shift, but if the dot died completely it could definitely be a difference in dropping a few points versus a stage full. Especially if it was a 32 round stage and you're dot dies on shot number two LOL. 

And having irons on the gun causes absolutely zero issues when you're dot is working. It seems like a no lose but definitely a possibility to gain something issue to me

I’m sure there’s a benefit at high levels, and probably at all levels. But for me, I don’t like them. I think the gun looks cleaner without them, and I prefer to have the dot milled all the way back on the slide. I’m just a local hack, so it’s no big deal if my dot goes out on a stage. I almost always have a backup gun to swap out for the rest of the match. 

3 hours ago, MHicks said:

I would be surprised if anyone in the top 25 or even top 50 at Nats had them.  Some of the CZ shooters have front sights to keep the bushing from flying out but I can't remember seeing any rears.  Most Optic-ready pistols delete the rear sight when you install a plate anyway.

The only shooters, at least that I've noticed, who have the backup irons have been shooters who are more wanting to shoot from a carry perspective. USPSA shooters will usually try to take advantage of anything that is perceived to give them an advantage.  

We had a local High M level shooter have his dot fly off mid stage, he stopped for long enough to look at the gun to figure out what happened and then finished the stage including several mini poppers at full speed with good hits on paper and one for one on the poppers.  

the force is strong in the guys that work hard at this

I have back up irons on a few guns, including two of my LO guns. Not really because I wanted them, the slide was cut for the trijicon plate and those come with a rear sight on them. I also had them on my Shadow for CO, again not intentionally. I sent the slide to C&H to get milled they called me and said they had to do a plate for that slide, I said cool go ahead. When it came back I had BUI's. lol. 

If you're target focused you wont even really see them. On the two occasions I've shot stages with the dot not working and didn't even think to try and use the BUI's until I was finished. Once was in practice, the other time at a major. I managed to win the stage at the major. 

On 7/3/2024 at 9:52 PM, crmcdm said:

This is unknowable, because Grauffel can shift gears (as can Sailer) if needed.  Fair to say if Christian's Day 2 hadn't been impacted by equipment, it would have been closer.  Both amazing at the craft.  Someone wrote that Sailer wins if you throw out Day 2 - I haven't verified.

A friend of mine said he did that and Sailor wins if you take out day 2.

But to me taking out 30% of the match is silly and doesn't tell much of anything. More so when we're talking about EG who is known to shoot just good enough to win. Who could of guessed EG would win another match by 2%, what are the odds.

I'm thinking EG was just on cruise control for this match and let everyone else give him points when they messed up. 

On 7/9/2024 at 9:06 PM, Racinready300ex said:

I'm thinking EG was just on cruise control for this match and let everyone else give him points when they messed up. 

You can even see that his raw time wasn't anything that impressive. Out of the top 7, he was the 2nd slowest shooter.

On 7/11/2024 at 8:48 AM, Blackstone45 said:

You can even see that his raw time wasn't anything that impressive. Out of the top 7, he was the 2nd slowest shooter.

Yes. The 2 fastest were about 10 seconds difference to him. But his accuracy at that speed, wow!

Lots of folks find backup Irons to be distracting, especially those who come from a history of iron sight shooting (ones who've had it drilled into them "WATCH THE FRONT SIGHT!!")  If the sights are there, it is difficult for those folks to target-focus.  Eliminating the sights makes target-focus easier for them.