Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

I would very much appreciate your help in identifying a good value, good quality, priming tool.

Hoping you might be able to afford me some recommendation regarding priming tools that would streamline the process of priming ( or which to stay away from).

Currently i pick up and load individually each round with each primer on a single stage loading press.  It works well but it's very tedious especially with my arthritis.

I shoot mostly bullseye type shooting, effecting little groups is by hand. As always hoping for a reasonably priced tool that would do a nice, precise, safe job and yet be a good value. 

$150 or less would be optimal.

thank you

For value. I use a Lee auto bench prime. Easy to mount to a table and remove. I’ve loaded 5k primers that way before moving to a 10 station press. Lots of physical feedback letting you know if you have tight primer pockets. I broke the housing trying to seat a few thousand ginex primers but Lee has dirt cheap replacement parts if you ever break anything. I got into a good motion and could prime a whole lot of brass in one sitting

RCBS sells a bench primer that many with arthritis like; it uses APS strips, and with the companion press you can load your choice of primers,, or buy strips pre-loaded with CCI.  I use the hand primer version and love it - I even bought a second for when I wear out the current one; they no longer sell the hand primer version.  It costs more than a Lee, but the quality is much higher and the APS strips are really convenient.

The RCBS Auto Priming Tool is a good one. Likely better to stay away from the APS strip model as they no longer sell the primers in the strips. Thereby you're either filling strips or tubes. The tubes work well and the priming tool is likely a bit simpler than the one using strips.

I don't think it takes as much time to fill strips as it does for tubes.  In addition, I think strips are safer; the spacing makes the likelihood of a chin fire event much less likely (it only has to happen once).  Primer tubes make me nervous - the similarity to a pipe bomb is too close.

• 1 month later...

I am a huge fan of the K & M deluxe but it does require picking up the individual primers, placing them in teh tool and priming.  If you have 50-100 rifle cases, no big deal.  Any more and it gets old.

I broke 2 of the Lee ones before switching and though I do miss the tray feed, the end result is worth it.

And I know it is a little out of your price range but if I were to go to a bench mounted solution, I think I would get a DERRACO ENGINEERING Poorman's Precision Priming Tool.  

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/18/2024 at 4:11 PM, Sigarmsp226 said:

When I hand prime, I still use one of my two Lee Auto Prime units like the one listed in this ad.  I have one unit that is over 30 years old and still works, and I have primed thousands of rounds with it.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1012845323?pid=807875

This product is (unfortunately) discontinued.  I wore mine out using it for 30+ years.  I now use Lee's Auto Bench Prime, the worst product that Lee has ever produced.  

The RCBS APS was intended as a safer alternative to tubes. However, it did not catch on and if not dead at this time, close to it.

I have not looked at the RCBS website recently, so I cannot say what, if anything APS is still available.

The RCBS Automatic Priming Tool, bench mounted, with tubes, I have used for decades. It is fast (other, perhaps, than filling tubes) with great feel when seating the primers.

In general, dropping a tube filled with primers is to be avoided. I've never experienced a tube detonation of any sort. 

• 4 weeks later...