Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Automate S1050 or go full Mark7?

I plan to keep my S1050 regardless, but am on the fence between automating it with a Mark7 autodrive vs doing the full plunge and getting the fully automated Apex 10 bundle

Obviously there is a massive difference in cash here... I could automate the 1050 and then use the saved money to buy a significant amount of components. 

Any advice here from folks who have experience with both? Is there a huge difference in headaches at the bench between an automated Mark7 press vs automating the 1050? 

I automated my 1050 years ago with an Ammobot. (Bought out by Dillon)

it has been flawless. Well over 250K rounds of 9mm, 25K of 223

i process all my brass on it then load. 

i know this is a different platform than you inquired about. I would encourage you to put a motor on that 1050. 

The biggest factor to consider is "future proofing". The Apex-10 has more sensors available than the 1050 and is directly supported by Mark 7/Lyman. If you want to change or upgrade down the road it will be easier on the Apex-10 vs the 1050. 1050's are good machines and you would get a ton of use out of automating it, but the Apex-10 does have things going for it that would benefit you long term.

2 hours ago, SSGJohnV said:

The biggest factor to consider is "future proofing". The Apex-10 has more sensors available than the 1050 and is directly supported by Mark 7/Lyman. If you want to change or upgrade down the road it will be easier on the Apex-10 vs the 1050. 1050's are good machines and you would get a ton of use out of automating it, but the Apex-10 does have things going for it that would benefit you long term.

This is a good point to consider, I appreciate the insight. 

One reason I was also interested in some cost savings was that I could also use some of the saved $$ to purchase a rollsizer, I'm still a bit baffled as to why they are so expensive but oh well. 

Do you find that with a Mark7 (or Auto'd 1050) that they have no issue with sizing cases that are not rollsized? Do you feel that a rollsizer should be a "must have" for any automated press? 

Roll sizers are needed if you are using range pick up brass or brass you are personally shooting out of a 9major open gun or very old unsupported barreled guns. Some can get by with using a U die for sizing, some opt for a rollsizer to size further down into the webbing of the case. 

IF you don't care about having a higher failure rate for cases that don't pass a gauge, then I wouldn't worry about it. It will take a lot of wasted components to cover the cost of a roll sizer at the end of the day. 

IMO roll sizers are worth every penny. But Im also shooting mostly 9 major ammo myself. 

1 hour ago, nitrohuck said:

Do you feel that a rollsizer should be a "must have" for any automated press? 

Yes.

You can get by without one, but once you automate you want the brass to be as user friendly as possible.   Ask me how I know.  Huck, I think Charlie will roll size brass for like 1 cent per piece or something along those lines.  If you want to buy one go with the commercial one.  I purchased the smaller one originally and was not happy with the form and fit, so immediately traded it in on a commercial one.

The other route is to buy pre processed brass.  I have tried to semi process brass as I load using the Mark7 on my S1050 for pistol ammo, but it is not fun.  Meaning sizing and punching the old primers out, then loading all in one pass but it is not worth the headache.  If you truly want to automate the loading process, using processed brass is really the only answer.  

The other aspect of this conversation is do you really need to automate?  How much do you intend to load in a year.  If that answer is less than 10-15K I would not automate, unless you think you absolutely want to.  If you intend to process a ton of brass automation is nice, but expensive due to the expense of how much each tool head costs.  You can use one tool head for everything, but you will need to setup all of the dies every time you switch what you are doing with the press.  Processing brass using an automated press is a dream though.  

I am on the edge of not really needing the automated press.  I thought I would be loading a lot more than I am and due to a lot of factors, mostly life just getting in the way.  It really has not panned out like I thought it would regarding reloading ammo.  Just something to think about.

If you have anymore questions on automating your Dillon S1050 with the Mark7 let me know.  It is exactly what I am using.  I am sure I can save you a lot of headaches in setup if you do end up going that route.

FWIW I'm up to ~189,000 rounds of 9 (half major, half minor, nearly all range pickup brass) loaded single-pass on the 1050/Mk7 and not roll sized a bit of it.  I'd have less gauge failures if I did, but I can live with the current level.

Major matches get new brass, club match ammo is hundo-checked and practice ammo just as it comes off the press. 

If my house blew away in a tornado, I'd probably go full MK7.

I would definitely consider the Apex 10 full auto setup!  The Sensors are worth every penny; plus I have been told that all new Apex 10s are shipping with their newly upgraded PRIMING SYSTEM!

Worth some phone calls/investigating with Customer Sales and Customer Service!

;)

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

So update here, 

I just got off the phone with Mark7, asked them about the Genesys production time. Sadly no new info to post on that, it is still a "we hope to deliver by end of 2024, but can't promise" type situation. 

When I started this thread I was really looking at the Apex 10, but the Genesys does look like it would be the best type of upgrade if I'm going to drop that much cash. 

From what I've read here the automated Apex 10 is not without its malfunctions and stoppages, I've gotta assume a Gen 1 Genesys will likely have some similiar issues upon rollout

decisions, decisions... 

p.s. I did buy a commercial rollsizer... this thing is awesome

Edited by nitrohuck

5 hours ago, nitrohuck said:

So update here, 

I just got off the phone with Mark7, asked them about the Genesys production time. Sadly no new info to post on that, it is still a "we hope to deliver by end of 2024, but can't promise" type situation. 

When I started this thread I was really looking at the Apex 10, but the Genesys does look like it would be the best type of upgrade if I'm going to drop that much cash. 

From what I've read here the automated Apex 10 is not without its malfunctions and stoppages, I've gotta assume a Gen 1 Genesys will likely have some similiar issues upon rollout

decisions, decisions... 

p.s. I did buy a commercial rollsizer... this thing is awesome

$6k for a Gen 1 Genesys; if in fact it releases at that same "early" pricing?  Or the proven Apex 10, fully automated that now includes (I was told) the latest, updated billet Priming System for $5k?  And the Sensors are on sale also!  You can even finance with "0%" interest if needed?

IMO, the Genesys, for the moment, is NOT a proven upgrade!  Plus the aftermarket is now offering Laser Detected Powder Sensor and Bullet Sensor for those needing that level of accuracy!

🤔

3 hours ago, HOGRIDER said:

$6k for a Gen 1 Genesys; if in fact it releases at that same "early" pricing?  Or the proven Apex 10, fully automated that now includes (I was told) the latest, updated billet Priming System for $5k?  And the Sensors are on sale also!  You can even finance with "0%" interest if needed?

IMO, the Genesys, for the moment, is NOT a proven upgrade!  Plus the aftermarket is now offering Laser Detected Powder Sensor and Bullet Sensor for those needing that level of accuracy!

🤔

These are good points...

I'm open to being swayed on this one, for sure... 

Why not both?

But seriously the apex has advantages over 1050/1100. But do they outweigh the fact you already have 1050 sitting there.