Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Hearing aids and hearing protection while shooting?

I searched, and it doesn't seem like this has been discussed in a number of years, but now it affects me, so it's obviously very important...    :)

It's time for me to look into and purchase hearing aids.  My hearing has deteriorated to the point that daily life is frustrating trying to hear other people talking, etc.  I've been ignoring it for a while, but those days are over.

I'm curious what other shooters that wear hearing aids do when at the range?  Do you wear your ear protection over the hearing aids?  Do you remove the hearing aids?  Do you turn down the hearing aids?

When I shoot, I wear electronic muffs, either Sordin Supreme's or ProEars Pro Mag.  I usually have to turn them up loud to hear everything that's going on around me, and especially when I'm RO'ing a shooter.  I'm also wondering if some hearing aids work better than others when shooting.

Thanks,

-Cuz.

I remove hearing aids and use Etymotic electronic plugs for protection. Not ideal because I can barely hear the RO or my buddies talking. 

I do not remove my hearing aids, and I wear muffs with electronics.  

If you use rechargeable hearing aids, they should be very resistant to moisture (sweat) as they are sealed.  In Florida, with the heat and humidity, there can be a lot of sweat inside the muffs.

Otherwise, sweat can get into the aids.  You can use lycra 'socks' which will resist the moisture, but I found them annoying to put onto the aids.  However, they did work very well.

I can hear relatively well with my electronic muffs and rechargeable aids, and would recommend doing this.

You should not put off getting hearing aids if possible.  Keeping the nerves stimulated by using hearing aids slows down the rate of hearing loss as you age.

Thanks, I know I shouldn't put it off, so I am going to start researching them now.  There are so many different hearing aid options these days, and prices are astronomical.  The price isn't going to hold me back, but the fear of buying the "wrong" ones is.  I always buy the wrong brand/model/etc. the first time around and sometimes even the second.  These are too expensive to find out I picked the wrong ones..

I definitely have to hear whats going on when at the range as I'm usually the RO, whether it be at a small match, or teaching new shooters.

At the match my electronic ear muffs are my hearing aids. 

Due to fairly recent changes in regulations the days of needing to pay a fortune for hearing aids are in the past. A couple good friends were very happy with the audiologist and aids they got from Costco, a relative felt the same way about getting hearing aids from Sam’s. If there is something unique/unusual about your hearing loss perhaps that could be an exception. If you are an old fart like me your Medicare supplement may pay the lions share. 

I have tried several of the "new" hearing aids. Got tired of not hearing like I should (cheapies) and tired of having to replace the units once per year and more. (Recommend researching how the new cheapies came about. Very interesting!)

Finally went with Miracle Ear. More money but total before and after support. No cost visits and no cost replacement/repair.

Mine have 3 levels which I can set/change on the app.

#2 is my "sister-in-law program. Low volume, noise filter at 90%.

I use electronic muffs over the s-i-l program.

Recently trying Walker in ear electronic due to outer ear fatigue at longer matches. Good so far.

I have new Starkey hearing aids and have been using my Sordin electronic ear protection over the top of them with the hearing aids set for the same normal level of sound that I have them set on without the hearing protectors.  Working very well with no feedback issues or problems so far, even in very hot weather.

1 hour ago, 45 Raven said:

I have new Starkey hearing aids and have been using my Sordin electronic ear protection over the top of them with the hearing aids set for the same normal level of sound that I have them set on without the hearing protectors.  Working very well with no feedback issues or problems so far, even in very hot weather.

Thanks, how long have you been using them?

17 minutes ago, Darkseid said:

Hearing aids stay in the truck. Plugs and muffs.

they must be electronic muffs right?

Otherwise how would you be able to hear anything?

I have tried plugs, plugs and muffs. I can't even hear the beep, let alone range commands.

That's why I am trying Walkers 25db electronics. No Bluetooth, just volume and noise suppression.