Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Swage/chamfer .38 Short Colt Starline brass?

10 hours ago, Toolguy said:

Did you measure the primer pockets before and after swaging? It seems like there was a good opportunity to get some numbers.

Warren:

The Dillon 600 swages out the military crimp.  It does not open up the primer pocket.  I still had one piece of brass that would not take a primer.  I didn't measure it.  Tossed it into my brass recycling bin.

Having gone through six or eight hundred pieces of the Starline brass with the Dillon crimp removing tool, I am kind of gobsmacked at the variances with the Starline brass.  Some pieces need absolutely no swaging, others some, and others quite a lot of force is needed on the ram.  Bottom line is that it worked because I loaded 200 rounds two days ago and every primer went in just fine.  Nothing too easy, no crunching, and all were the correct depth below the rim.  

Not a huge deal for me.  I'll see who else makes .38 Super brass and give their brass a try. 

GG

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11 hours ago, ysrracer said:

Yeah there's really no sense in measuring which ones need to swaged. Just do them all.

YRR:

I would recycle that much brass before I would measure them to see which ones needed swaging.  The Dillon crimp remover is very fast but your reamer is a more permanent solution because it removes the metal where the Dillon simply moves it aside.  Brass is somewhat elastic too and there is some of what the Dillon pushes aside that rebounds as soon as you release the pressure.  Sure, it worked but I believe it will come back with me way before it does with you.  

For me, I will look for another brand of brass.

GG

I have one of these, although mine has a wood handle bought it decades ago when there was alot of military surplus 9mm around..
I have used it on some of the Starlines I had problems with. Problem is, I have pretty much crushed a primer before I realize it needs reaming..  Really this shouldn tbe happenig buying premium products like Starline and Federal primers..
I am gonna go load another couple hundred with CCI primers see what happens.. 
Is there a source other than starline for bulk brass ? I know Remington and CBC (Magtech ?) make loaded ammo.

Starline is currently the only one producing bulk brass. RP is currently making factory loads for 38 short, however after looking awhile back was unsuccessful in finding just brass. If they did sell just the brass I bet it would be big $$ 

ok,,, IMO its the primers, I deprimed and swaged with the hand tool about 50 brass and some still went in hard or mashed.. 
Switched to CCI brass primers, and no issues, then loaded 100 with some old like 10year plus winchester and no problem..
Probably trade these federals, or add them to my rainy day stash with the Wolff primers

31 minutes ago, Joe4d said:

ok,,, IMO its the primers, I deprimed and swaged with the hand tool about 50 brass and some still went in hard or mashed.. 
Switched to CCI brass primers, and no issues, then loaded 100 with some old like 10year plus winchester and no problem..
Probably trade these federals, or add them to my rainy day stash with the Wolff primers

Except my Revo needs Federal primers to function.

I got  4k,, will probably trade em.. I want a half underlug 5" 629 to use in classic Big 6. Found some good speedloaders and plan on shooting 44 Russian.. 

8 minutes ago, dannyd said:

I make my own from 357 magnum brass that cracks.  Trim is down to 38 special, long or short colt depending on the case mouth crack.

no way that works without swagging heck out of your bullets or bulging the brass.

1 hour ago, Joe4d said:

no way that works without swagging heck out of your bullets or bulging the brass.

Will let you know how many cci i have in a bit.  Would be interested in trading.

Are they f100?

3 hours ago, Joe4d said:

I got  4k,, will probably trade em.. I want a half underlug 5" 629 to use in classic Big 6. Found some good speedloaders and plan on shooting 44 Russian.. 

If you don't want CCI, I have Wincheter I would trade.

17 hours ago, Joe4d said:

Joe:

I don't think it is the primers.  Have loaded 500 Starline Super that I ran through the Dillon swager and all except one took the Fed 100's without an issue.  That single one I ran through the swager again and it still smashed the primer.  I attribute it to a primer pocket that is too small.  

I guess PPU and Winchester make .38 Super brass.  PPU is cheaper but my experience with PPU brass is that its too soft.  Winchester has always been a go to brass if I couldn't find Lapua for rifle but it costs a lot more than Starline too. 

Will see how long the Starline lasts now that I did all that work but I doubt I will buy anymore.

GG

The Starline that I swaged has lasted so far, but I have only reloaded it about 4 times. 

I had T.K. do a 686 Plus to 9mm so I have been shooting all FC 9mm for the summer.

My Starline is all mixed in now with F.C. 38 cut down to .900 (38 Super length) so I still have that option for the other revolvers.