Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

Please help me decide on which 9mm luger and .45 acp reloading dies to purchase

Until recently i've only reloaded for long range rifle.

I'm hoping to start reloading 9mm Luger and .45acp calibers.

I have a single stage Forster Co-Ax press and while I may one day purchase a progressive (I had a Dillon 650xl but that is being donated, i just can't make peace with the primer system). I don't mind sticking with a single stage at least for a while. 

Quality, safety, accuracy and reproducibility of the reloaded cartridge are my ultimate goals as i only shoot bullseye type of paper target shooting at an indoor range....hoping/praying/practicing for nice small groups.

Wondering which specific reloading dies (make/model/brand) would serve me best.

thank you

1 hour ago, wanttolearn said:

Wondering which specific reloading dies (make/model/brand) would serve me best

Most precise overall with good neck tension:

Redding Pro 9mm sizing die. Works well on progressive press.

For the most precise bullseye ammo you will need to sort head stamps. Just like PRS.

@wanttolearnI use a mixture. 😄 For 45 I use a RCBS sizer, Lyman M die expander, Lee seater and a Redding crimp die. Since the M die has come out I’ve noticed that other companies have incorporated that design in their expanders instead of the old and horrible V flair. I just use Lee’s for the 9 and they work fine but you just have more fiddling around with them. I haven’t tried Hornaday pistol die’s but I do like the rifle ones that I have. I guess if I had to choose it would be between Redding or RCBS. 

Edited by Farmer

I have used Hornady, Lee and Dillon dies for pistol.  I would suggest you start out with a Dillon Square Deal B.  I've loaded many thousand bullseye accurate load on that press.  I agree with you on the priming system.  I'd suggest you look into the Hornady Lock n Load AP press.  In m y opinion, it is superior to any of the Dillons until you get to the 1050/1100 range.  The shell plate advances in half steps, so there is much less chance of powder spillage when the shell plate turns.  Their priming system is much better,  Their powder measure puts Dillon's to shame.  Super consistent throws.

When I use a sizing/decapping die it is a Hornady.  It sizes brass so you get really good neck tension on the bullet when seated.  If I'm using the sizing die, I put a Mr. Bulletfeeder two-step expander/funnel in the powder measure.  That ensures the bullets go into the case vertically, and don't cant when the shell plate rotates.  I use a Hornady seating die, but do not crimp.  I crimp with a Lee Factory Carbide Crimp die.  It is important to seat and crimp in different stations.

When not using the sizer, I replace it with a Redding two-step expander die and back off the Mr. Bulletfeeder funnel, so all it does is drop powder.  The press operates smoothly and I get SDs in the 4 to 6 range.

I have a set of Lee 9mm dies, but I don't like them as much as the Hornady.  My Dillon dies were not for 9mm, so I can't comment on them.  I did use Dillon dies for 40 and 45, and prefer the Hornady dies

If you are talking about setting up on a Dillon press then by all means get the Redding Pro Series die sets. They are the same set up as Dillon Sizer, Seater, and Crimp Die.  The Competition Pro dies swap out a Competition Seater for easier changing from one seating depth to another.  Another option is Lyman is making nice SS dies that come in sets. That come with sizer, Micrometer Seater and Crimp Die.

It is is a single stage press then Redding dies are nice, but so are other brands.

I don't shoot bullseye, so take my advice with a grain of salt, but I haven't found any appreciable amount of difference in the ability to produce accurate handgun rounds across all die brands. I haven't used them all, but I've used, or currently use, Lee, Dillon, RCBS, Hornady, Lyman, and Redding.

P.S. I think the 650 has one of the best priming systems.

Edited by 4n2t0

I only load 9mm, and these are the only dies I've used:

1. Lee U-die

2. Photo Escape Powder Through Expanding die in the Hornady powder drop.

3. Lee Inline Bullet Feeder

4. Lee seating die

5. Lee Factory Crimp die

Works well for me.

Many different approaches, and all of them are good.  In my case I ended up with this combo, and also know that you do not need to buy a set.  I like the undersize sizer, and the taper crimp crimper, so that is a big portion of the typical set that would be replaced.  In this case it is for a Dillon, in your case you would need some kind of expander.  

image.jpeg.c9fb898a330e9d34e4e2273759e26dcc.jpeg

2 hours ago, mmc45414 said:

Many different approaches, and all of them are good.  In my case I ended up with this combo, and also know that you do not need to buy a set.  I like the undersize sizer, and the taper crimp crimper, so that is a big portion of the typical set that would be replaced.  In this case it is for a Dillon, in your case you would need some kind of expander.  

image.jpeg.c9fb898a330e9d34e4e2273759e26dcc.jpeg

Same dies I use on my 550B. I'm very happy with them.

• 2 weeks later...