Brian Enos's Forums... Maku mozo!

9mm +p+

Rdnk

Hey guys my first post here i been a member for a while been reloading for 2 years now. 
i have been in search of a nice hot 9mm defensive load either 124 sig v crown or hornady xtp 

i have worked my way up to 7.0 gn of hs6 with a 124xtp at 10.80 oal which chronoed 1240-1260 out of my glock 17 I would like to reach 1300 or more this wont be a typical practice round probably shoot 50 a year and carry it any recommendations on which powder or any personal recipes that i can try to work up to would be appreciated 

Any of the popular 9major powders will do it. 

I'm guessing that was 1.080" oal. You're incredibly short for your velocity goal. Dangerously so. Your Glock mags are going to max out around 1.150, and it would be good to use the whole 1.150. Barrel reaming is probably necessary as well. My g3 17 will do xtp's out to maybe 1.130. 

2 minutes ago, OnePivot said:

Any of the popular 9major powders will do it. 

I'm guessing that was 1.080" oal. You're incredibly short for your velocity goal. Dangerously so. Your Glock mags are going to max out around 1.150, and it would be good to use the whole 1.150. Barrel reaming is probably necessary as well. My g3 17 will do xtp's out to maybe 1.130. 

So my barrel on my gen 5 17 barrel maxes out at 1.092 so i loaded it to 1.080 with xtp might have to change projectiles or get a new barrel maybe lone wolf ? Btw what are the popular 9mm major powders?

You can get a reamer and ream out the barrel to accept longer loads. It’s very common with guys shooting CZs that typically require shorter loads. I’ve not done it myself, but from what I understand it’s not a complex process. 

4 minutes ago, shooterDrew said:

You can get a reamer and ream out the barrel to accept longer loads. It’s very common with guys shooting CZs that typically require shorter loads. I’ve not done it myself, but from what I understand it’s not a complex process. 

Do lone wolf barrels accept longer oal xtp?

I like Longshot for heavy loads.  This is old data so do your own research, get three sources.  Carrying reloads for self defense is not a good idea.  It can get you in legal trouble. Spend the money on factory ammo.  Check Corbin ammo for heavy loads.

go on ebay , buy a 40 slide, probably a dime a dozen these days, then set up a 357 sig.. make 1300 easy peasy. or just keep it 40 and run 135's..   I never saw the point of hot rodding rounds when there are so many others to chose from. 

I reload everything, EXCEPT defensive rounds.  Since Federal HSTs are available, why bother.  Also, the notion of using XTPs @ 1300 fps is not a good one IMO.  It will go through your assailant, especially if it clogs with clothing.  Then you risk hitting an innocent bystander.  In a defensive situation you are not going to be shooting through barriers, so why do you need hotter than FBI spec ammo?  Why do you even need 18" of penetration?  That is still going to go through a body.  9" to 12" is what you need.  There is factory ammo out there that will consistently penetrate 12" even through denim or a barrier.

That’s a spicy meatball for carry and defense. I can’t imagine the Glock will be too happy about it and you’re starting to get into major power factor territory where no one is shooting Glocks. 

I'm going to shut this now, following the guidelines;

While the occasional defensive shooting post is not prohibited, in general, defensive shooting discussions or debates are discouraged. 

The OP can PM if desired to reopen for some reason.

• shred locked this topic